7.1 Earthquake Strikes Alaska | Golden Skate

7.1 Earthquake Strikes Alaska

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*facepalm* good grief everyone is gun shy with these earthquakes I have agillion emails asking if I'm okay. I appreciate the worry, but I didn't even know there WAS one until I get up this morning and get attacked by email! (so pardon me if I sound grumpy, I'm still waking up)

According to the Anchorage Daily News - it was actually out in the middle of the Ocean, and aside from a big wave the Tsunami didn't happen for the Aleutian Islands either. They get them ALL the time. There was a 7.2 earlier this summer in the same area. So we're all fine... same song, same verse...

so yeah we're all okay here (to give you some perspective NONE of the local channels are talking about it AT ALL. good to know it's a slow news day in th elower 48 because they definitely had sensationalism going hot and heavy this morning).

http://www.adn.com/2011/09/02/2045468/tsunami-warning-canceled-for-aleutians.html

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That is funny Toni, not knowing about the earthquake at all. Glad is was just a blip.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Isn't it about 1100 miles from Anchorage to the Fox Islands, which is where CNN showed the quake? Not likely anyone past Unalaska/Dutch Harbor (which AFAIK, is where the quake was recorded) felt it, I would think?

silverpond

On the Ice
We felt the earthquake last week, whose epicenter was in Virginia. What a wierd feeling, to be working at your PC and then suddenly start shaking back and forth. I thought I might be getting sick or dizzy, which is strange, as I'm NEVER sick. Within a few minutes, most of my collegues spilled out from their cubicles and offices, and some fled the building. We had no damage, but I have to tell you, it was a bit unsettling. And just a few days later Hurricane Irene was a very unwelcome visitor to the East Coast.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We were driving in MA when the quake hit and so didn't feel it, but some people in CT & MA did.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the response on the East Coast was mind boggling. First off the size of the quake wouldn't even get me out of bed/chair... secondly NEVER RUN OUT OF A BUILDING during an earthquake. THAT'S how people get injured. Get under a sturdy desk/table, a door jam, cover your head and get in a tight ball if nothing else but DO NOT RUN OUT of the building.

I love riding out Earthquakes, that's why missing a big one is such a bummer. The local news just basically said "hey there was a big earthquake in the ocean. Tsunami warning was issued and cancelled..." Our NBC affiliate put a "disregard the panic of the network and cable news shows" type message because the early reports had us all dying or something (a friend said she heard buildings were destroyed and people were without homes. Whoever reported that is a moron lol)

Fire Island gets hit with earthquakes daily... sometimes hourly... actually that's true of the whole state.... the last big one happened in... I want to say something like 2003 or 04. It was during a competition where Michael Weiss was competing because I was trying to watch him skate and the whole state was rolling (that's the really dangerous kind of quake) and my mom was screaming. It tore up a lot of the interior and the Pipeline was shut down... we're due for another big one on land, I think, but really all we've had this year are 5.8 and under quakes... and I've missed pretty much all of them.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toni, I'm glad you're safe & sound.

Re: the east coast quake, I actually napped through it, and only found out about later on the evening news.