Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Finlandia Trophy with entries

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    About the only time D&W did a Senior B was 2009 when they competed at (and won) Nebelhorn, preparatory to the Olympics.

One thing I can't see S&Z doing is having D&W and V&M at the same Senior B. I'm surprised that the Shibs are going.

Since Skate America is the first GP this year on Oct 21-23, D&W will be getting input almost as early on without the hassle & expense of travelling to Europe and disruption of their college curriculum. Their second GP is CoR, which this year is the last GP on Nov 25-27, so they have time to adjust things that need adjusting accordingly.
    I didn't know the only time D&W competed at a Senior B was in 2009, so your explanation makes sense. On the other hand, the Shibs did Nebelhorn Trophy last year, and given that their GP assignments this year were back-to-back, they would want to do an early Senior B as a preparation.

Although I didn't expect D/W & V/M to be competing in a same Senior B, can you tell me why it's a surprise for V/M and the Shibs to be competing in a same Senior B?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    So my question is: Where are D/W? Are they planning to make the Skate America as their first competition of the season? In the past they were always very well-prepared. So it makes me wonder especially since they have the world title to defend.
    Like usually all Canton teams did - first event of the season were GP event. D-W are WCh gold medalist and have strong reputation, so if they will skate good at GP - they will have high marks and the same with all other events.
    With V-M different situation - they had 1.5 competitions last season, all saw at 4CC how all this hard for Tessa? evn if they talk all time she is healthy. So maybe Marina want to show to the judges - they are really in good shape and will be ready for the season. And with there not so easy musik choice, they need to show FD on public - to see how audience will love it or no.
    O, i forget, V-M before hads first comeptition at Thornhill. But maybe this time with WCh replacing they didnbt have time to be ready in August.
    Anf i am sure D-W will show new programs in some show in nearest future.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm just glad that Tessa is feeling well enough to do a competition that they don't really need to do!

npa, do you think Funny Face is a stretch for V&M in some way? If so why? Maybe because it is a character-driven piece? Because otherwise the music is standard 50's dance pre rock n roll dance fare, as far as I remember it, and so I suspect Tessa and Scott should not have any problem with it.?

The only event D&W have on their calendar between now and SA is Fashion on Ice. I hope they'll show at least one of their new programs there. But I'm not expecting it. Perhaps though there will be a sendoff show for the kids going to Finlandia and D&W will perform in it as well as V&M, C&B and S&S?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm just glad that Tessa is feeling well enough to do a competition that they don't really need to do!

npa, do you think Funny Face is a stretch for V&M in some way? If so why? Maybe because it is a character-driven piece? Because otherwise the music is standard 50's dance pre rock n roll dance fare, as far as I remember it, and so I suspect Tessa and Scott should not have any problem with it.?
    First of all V-M need this competition - at first, to show how they are ready to be on top this season for judges and they need points to be higher in overall standing. If i remember right, they are third now (D-W - 1, P-B - 2). They need this to take better start positions at GP. Now they couldnt skate last in SD at SC.

As for music. We all remeber what happened with B-A when they made FD in this style. (i mean 2006-2007 season). So this could be not the right choice for winning WCh, like they want to do. They never had FD with movie story line (yes, they had UoS, but they didnt show reall movie story IMHO). Then - Tessa said they will have modern-jazz piece in the middle of the FD - this could be part with Audrie crazy dance and it could be hard to put this part into overal FF music style. And i hope they didnt use too much different parts of music (like B-A dio\d in 2003-2204 FD on "West side story"). So this is not such easy to do FD for them on this sountrack, like you think.

Custom Title
    Wow. Ice Dance has a VERY impressive line-up. Having BOTH Virtue/Moir AND the Shibutanis actually puts the event AHEAD in terms of competitiveness to any of the Grand Prix events since the rules would normally not permit top 3 teams from competing against each other. Beyond those two teams, the rest of the field includes Worlds top 10 and Grand Prix veterans. Makes Nebelhorn look like a qualifier event or something.

Wonder why the US is not sending anyone to compete in the ladies event?

Custom Title
    US sends many men and Icedance teams to several senior B compettions (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Nepela) but not ladies. There is shortage in ladies??

Custom Title
    Kiira Korpi will withdraw because of a leg injury. She injured her leg in July in Toronto. It is better now, but she can't compete with it yet.
    http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/muut/tai...a_2913900.html

Custom Title
    Ice dancing teams, Anna Capellini & Luca Lanotte ITA & Ekaterina Pushkash & Jonathan Guerreiro RUS are also removed from the latest roster.

Custom Title
    And there is no Valentina Marchei anymore!!!
    And no Fleur Maxwell, Irina Movchan and Natalia Popova.

I was so looking forward to this competition, but now so many of my favourites have withdrawn. :(
    Last edited by glam; 09-30-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Custom Title
    The thing I'll be thankful for most this year is video of Virtue/Moir's dance. So, someone - make it happen.

Custom Title
    Finnish figure skating enthusiasts:

I am happy that you have an opportunity to watch reigning world ice dancing silver and bronze medalists in person.

Could I appeal to your kindness to upload Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, and Chock/Bates SD and FD videos?
    Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    First of all V-M need this competition - at first, to show how they are ready to be on top this season for judges and they need points to be higher in overall standing. If i remember right, they are third now (D-W - 1, P-B - 2). They need this to take better start positions at GP. Now they couldnt skate last in SD at SC.

As for music. We all remeber what happened with B-A when they made FD in this style. (i mean 2006-2007 season). So this could be not the right choice for winning WCh, like they want to do. They never had FD with movie story line (yes, they had UoS, but they didnt show reall movie story IMHO). Then - Tessa said they will have modern-jazz piece in the middle of the FD - this could be part with Audrie crazy dance and it could be hard to put this part into overal FF music style. And i hope they didnt use too much different parts of music (like B-A dio\d in 2003-2204 FD on "West side story"). So this is not such easy to do FD for them on this sountrack, like you think.
    All good points, IMO, except perhaps the risk of V&M coming out with a program too much like B&A's disastrous "That's Entertainment." I can't see Marina, or Tessa and Scott, ever letting that happen.

I had missed that they were putting a jazz piece in the middle of Funny Face. I find that exciting! That should really add to the interest of the FD, and I am really looking forward to it. On the whole, I find the Funny Face score rather pedestrian, and the jazz piece should add the needed overall zip I think the FD might need. I have especially been dreading Marina including too much of Fred Astaire's singing. Fred was defintely not the most wonderful singer. As a singer, he was an amazing dancer.

Finlandia will be an amazing competition! I hope there are vids!

It seems that Fumie has withdrawn.

Here's the entries that are listed on 10/5. Alas, there are many skaters I would have liked to have seen that are not listed.

OTOH, the ice dance field is still amazing.

MEN

Vitali Luchanok BLR
    Julian Lagus FIN
    Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari FIN
    Bela Papp FIN
    Matthias Versluis FIN
    Valtter Virtanen FIN
    Paolo Bacchini ITA
    Paul Bonifacio Parkinson ITA
    Takahito Mura JPN
    Akio Sasaki JPN
    Abzal Rakimgaliev KAZ
    Maciej Cieplucha POL
    Artem Borodulin RUS
    Zhan Bush RUS
    Ivan Tretiakov RUS
    Alexander Majorov SWE
    Adrian Schultheiss SWE
    Douglas Razzano USA

LADIES

Crystal Kiang TPE
    Elena Glebova EST
    Alisa Mikonsaari FIN
    Beata Papp FIN
    Minna Parviainen FIN
    Juulia Turkkila FIN
    Yuka Kono JPN
    Sofia Biryukova RUS
    Linnea Mellgren SWE
    Angelica Olsson SWE

ICE DANCE

Kira Geil & Tobias Eisenbauer AUT
    Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir CAN
    Olesia Karmi & Max Lindholm FIN
    Henna Lindholm & Ossi Kanervo FIN
    Tanja Kolbe & Stefano Caruso GER
    Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri ITA
    Kristina Gorshkova & Vitaliy Butikov RUS
    Nadezhda Frolenkova & Mikhail Kasalo UKR
    Madison Chock & Evan Bates USA
    Maia & Alex Shibutani USA

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    ..Maybe ?

pani just posted this today at FSU on the Virtue / Moir thread . If you look to the left of the article, and click where it says " live broadcasts from the internet", This site at least will have something on Sunday. I checked the time , and it appears to start shortly after the Ladies free ( last event ) ..so maybe it'll be a compilation.. medalists from all 3 events ? ..hope, hope..

http://translate.google.com/translat...3Dtwitterfeed%

I hope that link works. Failing anything else , I'll be checking it out.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 10-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast