Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Finlandia Trophy with entries

Custom Title
    Checked out their FD practice video and Scott looks the same to me.... Tessa on the other hand has definitely picked up weight. She is starting to develop those 'Hottentot Venus' thighs.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Hannaxxx.../1/fLAzbvvvsfI

This channel has V&M, the Shibutanis, Chock & Bates, and a number of the other SD's!

The circular step not touching is a requirement in the SD this year..

As to any of the rhumba pattern dances being perfect, again S&Z's students are starting the year with a few difficulties. Here's the protocols:

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/r..._SD_Scores.pdf

V&M only got level 3 in the rhumba sequences. In the second sequence, they missed the second of 3 elements, in the first set, they missed the 3rd of 3 elements.

S&S had a level 3 (missed the third of 3 points) and a level 1 (missed all 3 main points) in the rhumba pattern dance.

And Chock & Bates got a level 4 on the first set and a level 1 (missed all 3) on the second.
    Hey Doris, can you explain what the three elements in the pattern is? I'm looking at hte pattern guide from ISU and I'm totally confused. Is it that S&S missed a bracket or something?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's the description of the key points being judged. The same three key points are judged in each of the two sequences, from page 12 of "Judging System Handbook For Technical Panels" Ice Dance, dated 7/15/2011:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...hiqbC4aYvUpp3A

I have written out the abbreviations:

Key Point 1
    Lady & Man, Step 3:

Changes of Edge: Left Forward Outside Inside Outside

Key Point 2
    Lady Steps 11 to 13
    (Wide stepped -LeftForwardInside Wide stepped-Crossed in front Open Choctaw, RightBackOutside wide stepped -Crossed Behind Closed Choctaw, LeftForwardInside)

1. Stepped at least two blade lengths wide on Steps #11, #12 and #13
    2. Correct Edges Left Forward Inside (#11), Right Back Outside (#12), and Left Front Inside (#13)
    3. Correct placement of free foot
    4. Correct Turns

Key Point 3:
    Man Steps 11 to 13 (Wide stepped -LeftForwardInside Wide stepped - crossed in front Open Choctaw, RightBackOutside wide stepped-crossed behind Closed Choctaw, LeftForwardInside)

1. Stepped at least two blade lengths wide on Steps #11, #12 and #13
    2. Correct Edges Left Forward Inside (#11), Right Back Outside (#12) and Left Forward Inside (#13)
    3. Correct placement of free foot
    4. Correct Turns
    ice-dance.com has further information here:

http://www.ice-dance.com/images/stor...ory/Rhumba.pdf

Step 3:

The dance starts with a chassé followed by a double change of edge on step 3. The left forward outside edge is held for 2 beats while the free foot is brought to the side of the skating foot followed by a lift and a pronounced outward movement
    on beat 3 coinciding with a rise of the skating knee as the edge is changed to inside and then back to outside.
    Steps 11 to 13

Steps 10 to 14 are held for 4 beats each with each step commencing on the third beat of the measure. A further wide step is made on step 11 with the lady crossing her leg in front of the man’s and on this edge the man takes the lead. Step 12 is a wide-stepped crossed in front open choctaw immediately followed by a back wide-stepped crossed behind closed choctaw on step 13. On the latter the left foot is drawn back and placed inside the circle. The free leg must be well controlled after the turn so that it moves forward immediately to ensure that the 2nd choctaw is a choctaw and not a mere step forward. Care must be taken to ensure that a full 4 beat edge is skated after both choctaws.
    The ice-dance link also has the pattern of the dance shown. Step 3 will fall in a corner of the rink. Steps 11, 12, & 13 will start on the same side of the rink after the couple passes center ice.

There is further info in the handbook.

I'll have to review the dances more closely to see what went wrong with the couples, if in fact, I'm smart enough to see it in the videos.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-09-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Custom Title

Virtue & Moir FD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZknq...el_video_title

Definitely has the makings of a masterpiece, a blend between their normal elegance with the classic Broadway Fred & Ginger-like movement.

Only got a level 2 on their spin and one of their lifts, but it's early in the season and the judges at the Finlandia Trophy are known for being tough.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    http://youtu.be/OsKuFnisv3c

Maia and Alex's FD video. I'm very impressed--they've really taken their choreography up a notch. Playing to more of nuances of the music, and overall just more intricate and difficult choreo. Audience starts clapping early in the program and I think the drew a lot of energy from that . Really unique lifts this year, too, and they make them look effortless as usual.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/r..._FD_Scores.pdf

Technical committee was very strict. Low levels on steps for pretty much everyone. Lots of penalties on extended lifts. Spins not level 4. Lifts not level 4. Apparently the teams have not yet adjusted to changes in rules.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    perhaps the OP meant vulgar in the sense of "ordinary or common", not the sense of "crass".
    i.e. something that is associated with masses (who often think that the meaning of the word is the only one they know), but not with the lacking of refinement. Still the line between these two definitions of the word in question is not that thick. But I don't mind judgements. A few months ago, right after the WC, I said that Tessa was going on the road of getting fat. Seemed like no one agreed with me. Nowdays, when the results of her chosen route have become more visible, some people have new opinions.

The moves in the entry can be easily seen in any second rate bar or club. Who can NOT dance like that? From the Olympic champion like Tessa I would expect more than just some trivial routine. Also, her overusing of shoulders only underlines how big they have become, and that is definitely not good. It's not like latin is something not theirs at all. We all remember their flamenco, which comes from a related field of dance. Where is that refined graceful girl? That would be shame to think that what they did at such an early age in 2010 is gonna be their best work. Because since Oly I haven't seen any better work from them. Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post

Sure they will. ISU will allow for D/W and a few selected other teams marks up to 11 or 12 for PCS
    Hardly sounds as a sportish approach to ditch the opponents without even seeing their works. We already have the situation on men's field, when the certain skater predictably gets highest scores no matter how many technical mistakes he makes or what caricature of the character he "presents". I do hope dance will escape that corrupted way.

Custom Title
    Just for your Information:

Finlandia trophy live streaming is on at: http://areena.yle.fi/live
    You can simply click on "Taitoluistelun Finlandia Trpohy" and a new window open up and you are set! It's not geoblocked.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    Just for your Information:

Finlandia trophy live streaming is on at: http://areena.yle.fi/live
    You can simply click on "Taitoluistelun Finlandia Trpohy" and a new window open up and you are set! It's not geoblocked.
    And they're interviewing Tessa and Scott now!

Summary: They feel great about starting on a good foot early.

Tessa: "We are hungry to win. Having Olympic and World titles doesn't mean we don't want more." (ugh double negative...so yeah they want more titles!)

They like to golf together?

Also they're rebroadcasting their FD.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-09-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Rinkside
    I would just like to say that I find it insulting for anyone to say that Tessa has gotten fat. What I see is that she gained muscle and is becoming a woman. In NO WAY is she fat. She is an ATHLETE who finally is able to train fully, and that is showing. She looks fabulous.

Back on topic, having only seen the Shibutanis and Tessa and Scott FD, all I can say is that I think both were absolutely stunning! Marina and Igor really are the best coaches in the world at the moment in my opinion. Hopefully this competition will give everyone the chance to up their levels prior to their GP assignments.

Edited to add: A big thank you to everyone for all of the links!
    Last edited by nemequittepas; 10-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.

skating philosopher
    Chock and Bates on now.

Custom Title
    Okay, Chock/Bates = mismatched and dull. Two stunning lifts highlight a fairly dreary program set to mediocre music.

Shibutanis = good, but it won't stop their detractors.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Okay, Chock/Bates = mismatched and dull. Two stunning lifts highlight a fairly dreary program set to mediocre music.

No kidding. Their detractors will say that this program is too much in their bro-sis box. My take however is that I feel like it takes what they did up in 2011 another notch. I thought the choreography was harder and they seem more adult here.

As for Chock/Bates, I definitely agree with the other posters that I miss Emily's toe pointing. There is a lack of refinement.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I don't think a concrete wall would stop their detractors at this point

Rinkside
    Chock and Bates have some potential, but I didn't enjoy their FD as much as their SD. There is something off, but I'm not sure what. I think it's mainly that their lines don't seem to match at all.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast