Finlandia Trophy with entries | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy with entries

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:confused: perhaps the OP meant vulgar in the sense of "ordinary or common", not the sense of "crass".

Either way, I'm not getting it.

BTW, I don't think V&M's problem with the lift was due to Tessa's size. It looked to me like their timing was a bit off, something that often happens in the first showing of the program.

I miss the opening of last year's FD :cry: I was looking forward to seeing it again. To compensate, I like this year's version of Temptation much better! And it's really nice to see Tessa looking healthy and without the strain of pain.

Debs122

Rinkside
I don't think the shaky lift had anything to do with Tessa's size either but probably due to timing like you said. I also prefer the opening from last year but this one is growing on me fast. To me it doesn't look like they tried to rework last year's program into the new SD. It's completely new choreography (except for the that lift). The music is the same but remixed.

KKonas

Medalist
Still not a fan of the SD - probably never will be. Anyway, it's early and all the SD's need work/polish and it's to be expected. I like V&M's routine but not the opening music. Shibs need a little more oomph and speed which will come. My concern is for Chock & Bates. He has very, very long legs, Chock does not and the height difference is very noticeable. Emily had long legs so as a team they looked good. I think Samuelson was a better match for Bates. I guess we will see how it all winds up when Samuelson & Gilles show up.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I just have a horrible sinking feeling that I won't be able to like either new team ( C/B , S/G ) as much as I liked S/B. I'm trying to fight it. Individually , I like all the skaters involved, but together , I was nuts about S/B from the first time I saw them , and expected they'd be able to go to the very top, eventually...:unsure: ( I say :unsure: , but what I really want is a "blank stare" smiley, or a "drowning sorrows" smiley )..and this affords me another opportunity to say I feel robbed , robbed , robbed knowing I'll never get to see them do American in Paris....

Setting that aside , I'm sure C/B will come together better, but it's going to take some doing to really overcome the differeces between them, and make them a couple. Just slightly OT ... Madi makes a hot little red dress exactly what it should be. It will be interesting to see how they do in the SC field.

ETA ..Here's their FD practice , though and there's some really nice choreo in here..

http://www.youtube.com/user/tamriko666#p/a/u/0/e9AWBmopOJ0

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed this early season SD's, thanks for sharing the links and all the discussion of them; special thanks to Doris and others who explained the marks/levels. I agree with a bunch of people who didn't love V/M's opening - but there are some really great moves and steps in there that were really cool. Their line and unison is so breathtaking too.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Checked out their FD practice video and Scott looks the same to me.... Tessa on the other hand has definitely picked up weight. She is starting to develop those 'Hottentot Venus' thighs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hannaxxxxxx#p/u/1/fLAzbvvvsfI

This channel has V&M, the Shibutanis, Chock & Bates, and a number of the other SD's!

The circular step not touching is a requirement in the SD this year..

As to any of the rhumba pattern dances being perfect, again S&Z's students are starting the year with a few difficulties. Here's the protocols:

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1112/FT2011/FT2011_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

V&M only got level 3 in the rhumba sequences. In the second sequence, they missed the second of 3 elements, in the first set, they missed the 3rd of 3 elements.

S&S had a level 3 (missed the third of 3 points) and a level 1 (missed all 3 main points) in the rhumba pattern dance.

And Chock & Bates got a level 4 on the first set and a level 1 (missed all 3) on the second.

Hey Doris, can you explain what the three elements in the pattern is? I'm looking at hte pattern guide from ISU and I'm totally confused. Is it that S&S missed a bracket or something?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's the description of the key points being judged. The same three key points are judged in each of the two sequences, from page 12 of "Judging System Handbook For Technical Panels" Ice Dance, dated 7/15/2011:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...G2_Zla&usg=AFQjCNGaNiH2BJvMqpnnhiqbC4aYvUpp3A

I have written out the abbreviations:

Key Point 1
Lady & Man, Step 3:

Changes of Edge: Left Forward Outside Inside Outside

Key Point 2
Lady Steps 11 to 13
(Wide stepped -LeftForwardInside Wide stepped-Crossed in front Open Choctaw, RightBackOutside wide stepped -Crossed Behind Closed Choctaw, LeftForwardInside)

1. Stepped at least two blade lengths wide on Steps #11, #12 and #13
2. Correct Edges Left Forward Inside (#11), Right Back Outside (#12), and Left Front Inside (#13)
3. Correct placement of free foot
4. Correct Turns

Key Point 3:
Man Steps 11 to 13 (Wide stepped -LeftForwardInside Wide stepped - crossed in front Open Choctaw, RightBackOutside wide stepped-crossed behind Closed Choctaw, LeftForwardInside)

1. Stepped at least two blade lengths wide on Steps #11, #12 and #13
2. Correct Edges Left Forward Inside (#11), Right Back Outside (#12) and Left Forward Inside (#13)
3. Correct placement of free foot
4. Correct Turns

ice-dance.com has further information here:

http://www.ice-dance.com/images/stories/pdf/compulsory/Rhumba.pdf

Step 3:

The dance starts with a chassé followed by a double change of edge on step 3. The left forward outside edge is held for 2 beats while the free foot is brought to the side of the skating foot followed by a lift and a pronounced outward movement
on beat 3 coinciding with a rise of the skating knee as the edge is changed to inside and then back to outside.

Steps 11 to 13

Steps 10 to 14 are held for 4 beats each with each step commencing on the third beat of the measure. A further wide step is made on step 11 with the lady crossing her leg in front of the man’s and on this edge the man takes the lead. Step 12 is a wide-stepped crossed in front open choctaw immediately followed by a back wide-stepped crossed behind closed choctaw on step 13. On the latter the left foot is drawn back and placed inside the circle. The free leg must be well controlled after the turn so that it moves forward immediately to ensure that the 2nd choctaw is a choctaw and not a mere step forward. Care must be taken to ensure that a full 4 beat edge is skated after both choctaws.

The ice-dance link also has the pattern of the dance shown. Step 3 will fall in a corner of the rink. Steps 11, 12, & 13 will start on the same side of the rink after the couple passes center ice.

There is further info in the handbook.

I'll have to review the dances more closely to see what went wrong with the couples, if in fact, I'm smart enough to see it in the videos.

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
http://youtu.be/OsKuFnisv3c

Maia and Alex's FD video. I'm very impressed--they've really taken their choreography up a notch. Playing to more of nuances of the music, and overall just more intricate and difficult choreo. Audience starts clapping early in the program and I think the drew a lot of energy from that :). Really unique lifts this year, too, and they make them look effortless as usual.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
:confused: perhaps the OP meant vulgar in the sense of "ordinary or common", not the sense of "crass".
i.e. something that is associated with masses (who often think that the meaning of the word is the only one they know), but not with the lacking of refinement. Still the line between these two definitions of the word in question is not that thick. But I don't mind judgements. A few months ago, right after the WC, I said that Tessa was going on the road of getting fat. Seemed like no one agreed with me. Nowdays, when the results of her chosen route have become more visible, some people have new opinions.

The moves in the entry can be easily seen in any second rate bar or club. Who can NOT dance like that? From the Olympic champion like Tessa I would expect more than just some trivial routine. Also, her overusing of shoulders only underlines how big they have become, and that is definitely not good. It's not like latin is something not theirs at all. We all remember their flamenco, which comes from a related field of dance. Where is that refined graceful girl? That would be shame to think that what they did at such an early age in 2010 is gonna be their best work. Because since Oly I haven't seen any better work from them. Yet.
:eek:
Sure they will. ISU will allow for D/W and a few selected other teams marks up to 11 or 12 for PCS
:laugh:
Hardly sounds as a sportish approach to ditch the opponents without even seeing their works. We already have the situation on men's field, when the certain skater predictably gets highest scores no matter how many technical mistakes he makes or what caricature of the character he "presents". I do hope dance will escape that corrupted way.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just for your Information:

Finlandia trophy live streaming is on at: http://areena.yle.fi/live
You can simply click on "Taitoluistelun Finlandia Trpohy" and a new window open up and you are set! It's not geoblocked.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just for your Information:

Finlandia trophy live streaming is on at: http://areena.yle.fi/live
You can simply click on "Taitoluistelun Finlandia Trpohy" and a new window open up and you are set! It's not geoblocked.

And they're interviewing Tessa and Scott now!

Summary: They feel great about starting on a good foot early.

Tessa: "We are hungry to win. Having Olympic and World titles doesn't mean we don't want more." (ugh double negative...so yeah they want more titles!)

They like to golf together?

Also they're rebroadcasting their FD.

Last edited:

nemequittepas

Rinkside
I would just like to say that I find it insulting for anyone to say that Tessa has gotten fat. What I see is that she gained muscle and is becoming a woman. In NO WAY is she fat. She is an ATHLETE who finally is able to train fully, and that is showing. She looks fabulous.

Back on topic, having only seen the Shibutanis and Tessa and Scott FD, all I can say is that I think both were absolutely stunning! Marina and Igor really are the best coaches in the world at the moment in my opinion. Hopefully this competition will give everyone the chance to up their levels prior to their GP assignments.

Edited to add: A big thank you to everyone for all of the links! :)

Last edited: