Finlandia Trophy with entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy with entries

samba

On the Ice
Is she your friend? Zueva didnt said NOTHING. Someone else spread rumors in internet.

"According to Marina Zoueva, Virtue & Moir, the Shibutanis and Pechalat & Bourzat are planning to compete at Finlandia". This was posted earlier, and, NO, she was not my friend.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think the three Canton teams' (V/M, the Shibs, and Chock/Bates) participation in this competition make sense in that they can share their mutual coaches' (S/Z) expenses.

Now that Tessa is finally healthy and pain-free, V/M are motivated to start off the season in the best possible way to reclaim the world title. C/B presumably need to earn the minimum score from a qualified international event so that they can skate at the Skate Canada GP; the Shibs need to receive valuable feedback from international judges prior to their back-to-back GP assignments (COC & NHK Trophy).

So my question is: Where are D/W? Are they planning to make the Skate America as their first competition of the season? In the past they were always very well-prepared. So it makes me wonder especially since they have the world title to defend. :think:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
About the only time D&W did a Senior B was 2009 when they competed at (and won) Nebelhorn, preparatory to the Olympics.

One thing I can't see S&Z doing is having D&W and V&M at the same Senior B. I'm surprised that the Shibs are going.

Since Skate America is the first GP this year on Oct 21-23, D&W will be getting input almost as early on without the hassle & expense of travelling to Europe and disruption of their college curriculum. Their second GP is CoR, which this year is the last GP on Nov 25-27, so they have time to adjust things that need adjusting accordingly.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
It's sad to think this might (yes, only "might") turn out as Fumie's last competition outside Japan.
She'll probably compete in the next Nats but her chances to be sent abroad based on her results there seems now a bit small.

On the lighter side, if she does well at Finlandia, she'll get more B comps from the JSF.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
"According to Marina Zoueva, Virtue & Moir, the Shibutanis and Pechalat & Bourzat are planning to compete at Finlandia". This was posted earlier, and, NO, she was not my friend.

I respect KKonas enough to believe he's being honest, but I'll also point out that a comment on a message board that doesn't come from her lips is hardly a sign that Zoueva was spreading the rumours. It could be that she was told that but they changed their mind due to conflicting dates. It could be that they wanted to avoid an early season comparison to V/M and/or the Shibs (especially if the team isn't ready). She might've been misinformed. He might have been. It might have been an awkward game of telephone.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
About the only time D&W did a Senior B was 2009 when they competed at (and won) Nebelhorn, preparatory to the Olympics.

One thing I can't see S&Z doing is having D&W and V&M at the same Senior B. I'm surprised that the Shibs are going.

Since Skate America is the first GP this year on Oct 21-23, D&W will be getting input almost as early on without the hassle & expense of travelling to Europe and disruption of their college curriculum. Their second GP is CoR, which this year is the last GP on Nov 25-27, so they have time to adjust things that need adjusting accordingly.

I didn't know the only time D&W competed at a Senior B was in 2009, so your explanation makes sense. On the other hand, the Shibs did Nebelhorn Trophy last year, and given that their GP assignments this year were back-to-back, they would want to do an early Senior B as a preparation.

Although I didn't expect D/W & V/M to be competing in a same Senior B, can you tell me why it's a surprise for V/M and the Shibs to be competing in a same Senior B? :confused:

npa

Match Penalty
So my question is: Where are D/W? Are they planning to make the Skate America as their first competition of the season? In the past they were always very well-prepared. So it makes me wonder especially since they have the world title to defend. :think:

Like usually all Canton teams did - first event of the season were GP event. D-W are WCh gold medalist and have strong reputation, so if they will skate good at GP - they will have high marks and the same with all other events.
With V-M different situation - they had 1.5 competitions last season, all saw at 4CC how all this hard for Tessa? evn if they talk all time she is healthy. So maybe Marina want to show to the judges - they are really in good shape and will be ready for the season. And with there not so easy musik choice, they need to show FD on public - to see how audience will love it or no.
O, i forget, V-M before hads first comeptition at Thornhill. But maybe this time with WCh replacing they didnbt have time to be ready in August.
Anf i am sure D-W will show new programs in some show in nearest future.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm just glad that Tessa is feeling well enough to do a competition that they don't really need to do!

npa, do you think Funny Face is a stretch for V&M in some way? If so why? Maybe because it is a character-driven piece? Because otherwise the music is standard 50's dance pre rock n roll dance fare, as far as I remember it, and so I suspect Tessa and Scott should not have any problem with it.?

The only event D&W have on their calendar between now and SA is Fashion on Ice. I hope they'll show at least one of their new programs there. But I'm not expecting it. Perhaps though there will be a sendoff show for the kids going to Finlandia and D&W will perform in it as well as V&M, C&B and S&S?

npa

Match Penalty
I'm just glad that Tessa is feeling well enough to do a competition that they don't really need to do!

npa, do you think Funny Face is a stretch for V&M in some way? If so why? Maybe because it is a character-driven piece? Because otherwise the music is standard 50's dance pre rock n roll dance fare, as far as I remember it, and so I suspect Tessa and Scott should not have any problem with it.?

First of all V-M need this competition - at first, to show how they are ready to be on top this season for judges and they need points to be higher in overall standing. If i remember right, they are third now (D-W - 1, P-B - 2). They need this to take better start positions at GP. Now they couldnt skate last in SD at SC.

As for music. We all remeber what happened with B-A when they made FD in this style. (i mean 2006-2007 season). So this could be not the right choice for winning WCh, like they want to do. They never had FD with movie story line (yes, they had UoS, but they didnt show reall movie story IMHO). Then - Tessa said they will have modern-jazz piece in the middle of the FD - this could be part with Audrie crazy dance and it could be hard to put this part into overal FF music style. And i hope they didnt use too much different parts of music (like B-A dio\d in 2003-2204 FD on "West side story"). So this is not such easy to do FD for them on this sountrack, like you think. ;)

lcd

Match Penalty
Wow. Ice Dance has a VERY impressive line-up. Having BOTH Virtue/Moir AND the Shibutanis actually puts the event AHEAD in terms of competitiveness to any of the Grand Prix events since the rules would normally not permit top 3 teams from competing against each other. Beyond those two teams, the rest of the field includes Worlds top 10 and Grand Prix veterans. Makes Nebelhorn look like a qualifier event or something.

Wonder why the US is not sending anyone to compete in the ladies event?

samba

On the Ice
US sends many men and Icedance teams to several senior B compettions (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Nepela) but not ladies. There is shortage in ladies??

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ice dancing teams, Anna Capellini & Luca Lanotte ITA & Ekaterina Pushkash & Jonathan Guerreiro RUS are also removed from the latest roster. :eek:

glam

On the Ice
And there is no Valentina Marchei anymore!!!:eek:
And no Fleur Maxwell, Irina Movchan and Natalia Popova.

I was so looking forward to this competition, but now so many of my favourites have withdrawn. :(

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The thing I'll be thankful for most this year is video of Virtue/Moir's dance. So, someone - make it happen.