Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Finlandia Trophy with entries

Custom Title
    for me all three teams need to speed it up a bit.
    v/m feel flat ( in expression) in a few places in some spins,but otherwise skated good
    shibutanis for me a good technique skaters and it shows. they also young and still on the learning curve for expression,but they are good at what they are doing now.
    chock/bates needs more time together, for me evan needs to quit favoring the foot he injured (i am probably the only one) but i noticed him favoring that foot.
    i think time will help them also.
    but all 3 are off to good start . only can improve as season continues.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    Does anyone know of a site providing photo coverage for this event? I'm hard-pressed to find anything.
    I know two sites:
    http://yes2.1g.fi/kuvat/Skating/Seas...+6.-9.10.2011/
    http://sail.smugmug.com/Sports/Finlandia-Trophy-2011

Secon link points to my non-commercial amateur photogallery, which I will update at some point (I need more time to go through the rest of my photos).

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.I. View Post
    I know two sites:
    http://yes2.1g.fi/kuvat/Skating/Seas...+6.-9.10.2011/
    http://sail.smugmug.com/Sports/Finlandia-Trophy-2011

Secon link points to my non-commercial amateur photogallery, which I will update at some point (I need more time to go through the rest of my photos).
    Thanks so much for the links! I look forward to your pictures~!

Rinkside
    In my opinion team Canton was interesting from 2007 to 2010 (great LP's there). In 2011 was about ballroom dancing, still very interesting and complex (D/W an V/M). But now? The Shibs are using similar style (how long do they want to do that???), V/M are RECYCLING (???) their previous FD and present a new FD seen years ago (a recycling of T/D 1994 and G/P 1995). Without any doubt: it will be skated great, with pure lines and so on, but this FD is a great step back; nice, beautiful, not more. Why? V/M have nothing to prove, they can take a risk and present innovative programs, remarkable things like the Duchesnays 1991, K/P 1992, Del/Schoe 2005 (Frida). But now the idea emerges that they may be limited regarding presentation of drama, characters etc. To do something completely different (like V/M in 2011) is difficult and can't work out every year, but following given paths seems not enough for skaters with great skills.

Custom Title
    I think we will also see Camerlengo's teams really shine with the Latin SD and become the new breath of fresh air.

Custom Title
    One thing that bothers me about this thread is that there is a lot of range between angst, dying FDs as someone is describing, and what the Shibs are currently doing. It's not one or the other. I know it's hard for siblings to do some of these themes (and why a lot of people aren't fans of sibling teams in general), but I think the Kerrs got around that really well. The Duschenays were noted for their originality. Granted, they were older than the Shibutanis. I think they could do something fresh and modern, but so far, they've been pigeon holed by Shpibland/Zueva into the upbeat, sweet look.

I agree with iceice that these styles have been done before, a million times, and with IP's comment about the Shibs lacking substance at this point.

I have to add that I am not a fan of 40s style/swing/ballroom stuff in general. I think that S/Zs free dance choices for these two teams are really dated, and there's nothing fresh or interesting about them. I'd love to see those two get some new CDs and do something different, but it's never going to happen.
    Last edited by oleada; 10-11-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I'm not impressed with either Voir or the Shib's programs this year. Voir's FD is too similar to the Shib's Smile of last season and although its a nice program and they skated it beautifully, it does not have the wow potential they are so capable of. Voir's SD is very good, but the Shib's does not really work since it looks like a poor imitation of their older peers.

The Shib's FD was a mistake...too juniorish, it feels like a step down for them.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    One thing that bothers me about this thread is that there is a lot of range between angst, dying FDs as someone is describing, and what the Shibs are currently doing. It's not one or the other. I know it's hard for siblings to do some of these themes (and why a lot of people aren't fans of sibling teams in general), but I think the Kerrs got around that really well. The Duschenays were noted for their originality. Granted, they were older than the Shibutanis. I think they could do something fresh and modern, but so far, they've been pigeon holed by Shpibland/Zueva into the upbeat, sweet look.

I agree with iceice that these styles have been done before, a million times, and with IP's comment about the Shibs lacking substance at this point.

I have to add that I am not a fan of 40s style/swing/ballroom stuff in general. I think that S/Zs free dance choices for these two teams are really dated, and there's nothing fresh or interesting about them. I'd love to see those two get some new CDs and do something different, but it's never going to happen.

Here's the thing: the Kerrs evolved over a decade-long ice dance career in the senior international circuit. I think it's a bit much to compare the Shibs - who are only in their second season as seniors to a team that isn't only older than them career wise (now retired), but also age wise (they started their senior career at the ages of 22 and 24, compared to 16 and 20 for the Shibs). Who says they won't evolve by the time they're about the same age (22 and 26?)

I see it like running. You can't work on speed and distance at the same time. In figure skating, there have been a number of skaters who have suffered because they tried to too much at the same time, i.e. try to up their artistic and tech content at the same time. As I said before, I think it's beneficial to let them develop their tech while they're still young and then as they mature they can be more free to explore that artistic side.

Also, I find it bothersome that people are writing them off for being "one note" when they didn't do this genre AT ALL when they were juniors. Two times is not a pattern.

Also regarding their FD being juniorish -- I'm sorry but that is not a junior-level tech program. Take that program and compare it to the JGP FDs and it's pretty obvious that the Shibs are not being juniorish, at least as far as tech. It's that whole issue that Kanako faced last year-- it seems that people associate fun, lively programs = junior. I don't' quite agree with that.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 10-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Custom Title
    I agree with you, oleada. I think the Shibutanis could actually do much better than that. Even with their latin SD. I know the latin dances are full of passion and it's not a point for siblings teams, but why not to do something in carnaval style for example? Pick some cool and fun music, a brighter dress for Maia to focus an attention on her, because I think she can be more expressive than Alex. Chock/Zurlein had an original dance few seasons ago where Greg was like a hunter and Madison was like a bird, why not to create something like that? And Zueva keeps some boring music and makes another ordinary Canton teams program instead.
    And don't get me started about their FD, it's just the same old story, even most of the dance moves are from their last year program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Entire post.
    Well said. I agree completely.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Once again, people deeming S/Z having created failed programs as they not even fully refined and were just out on their first run.
    I wonder why so many skating fans are quick to be so pessimistic and jump to conclusions...

Custom Title
    While I'll continue the general ice dance discussion in the main thread, I thought it was worth linking to this. This is Tessa Virtue at Finlandia. People are calling her fat.

That is all.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 10-11-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Custom Title
    Maybe those people are really skinny.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Pogue..I'm so glad you linked to that photo..I don't think it can be seen too often.As the saying goes ,
    R-r-rowr-r-r-r....

Custom Title
    I want to be as fat as Tessa. LOL.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast