Finlandia Trophy with entries | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy with entries

oleada

Record Breaker
One thing that bothers me about this thread is that there is a lot of range between angst, dying FDs as someone is describing, and what the Shibs are currently doing. It's not one or the other. I know it's hard for siblings to do some of these themes (and why a lot of people aren't fans of sibling teams in general), but I think the Kerrs got around that really well. The Duschenays were noted for their originality. Granted, they were older than the Shibutanis. I think they could do something fresh and modern, but so far, they've been pigeon holed by Shpibland/Zueva into the upbeat, sweet look.

I agree with iceice that these styles have been done before, a million times, and with IP's comment about the Shibs lacking substance at this point.

I have to add that I am not a fan of 40s style/swing/ballroom stuff in general. I think that S/Zs free dance choices for these two teams are really dated, and there's nothing fresh or interesting about them. I'd love to see those two get some new CDs and do something different, but it's never going to happen.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm not impressed with either Voir or the Shib's programs this year. Voir's FD is too similar to the Shib's Smile of last season and although its a nice program and they skated it beautifully, it does not have the wow potential they are so capable of. Voir's SD is very good, but the Shib's does not really work since it looks like a poor imitation of their older peers.

The Shib's FD was a mistake...too juniorish, it feels like a step down for them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
One thing that bothers me about this thread is that there is a lot of range between angst, dying FDs as someone is describing, and what the Shibs are currently doing. It's not one or the other. I know it's hard for siblings to do some of these themes (and why a lot of people aren't fans of sibling teams in general), but I think the Kerrs got around that really well. The Duschenays were noted for their originality. Granted, they were older than the Shibutanis. I think they could do something fresh and modern, but so far, they've been pigeon holed by Shpibland/Zueva into the upbeat, sweet look.

I agree with iceice that these styles have been done before, a million times, and with IP's comment about the Shibs lacking substance at this point.

I have to add that I am not a fan of 40s style/swing/ballroom stuff in general. I think that S/Zs free dance choices for these two teams are really dated, and there's nothing fresh or interesting about them. I'd love to see those two get some new CDs and do something different, but it's never going to happen.

Here's the thing: the Kerrs evolved over a decade-long ice dance career in the senior international circuit. I think it's a bit much to compare the Shibs - who are only in their second season as seniors to a team that isn't only older than them career wise (now retired), but also age wise (they started their senior career at the ages of 22 and 24, compared to 16 and 20 for the Shibs). Who says they won't evolve by the time they're about the same age (22 and 26?)

I see it like running. You can't work on speed and distance at the same time. In figure skating, there have been a number of skaters who have suffered because they tried to too much at the same time, i.e. try to up their artistic and tech content at the same time. As I said before, I think it's beneficial to let them develop their tech while they're still young and then as they mature they can be more free to explore that artistic side.

Also, I find it bothersome that people are writing them off for being "one note" when they didn't do this genre AT ALL when they were juniors. Two times is not a pattern.

Also regarding their FD being juniorish -- I'm sorry but that is not a junior-level tech program. Take that program and compare it to the JGP FDs and it's pretty obvious that the Shibs are not being juniorish, at least as far as tech. It's that whole issue that Kanako faced last year-- it seems that people associate fun, lively programs = junior. I don't' quite agree with that.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I agree with you, oleada. I think the Shibutanis could actually do much better than that. Even with their latin SD. I know the latin dances are full of passion and it's not a point for siblings teams, but why not to do something in carnaval style for example? Pick some cool and fun music, a brighter dress for Maia to focus an attention on her, because I think she can be more expressive than Alex. Chock/Zurlein had an original dance few seasons ago where Greg was like a hunter and Madison was like a bird, why not to create something like that? And Zueva keeps some boring music and makes another ordinary Canton teams program instead.
And don't get me started about their FD, it's just the same old story, even most of the dance moves are from their last year program

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Once again, people deeming S/Z having created failed programs as they not even fully refined and were just out on their first run. :disapp:
I wonder why so many skating fans are quick to be so pessimistic and jump to conclusions...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
While I'll continue the general ice dance discussion in the main thread, I thought it was worth linking to this. This is Tessa Virtue at Finlandia. People are calling her fat.

That is all.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Pogue..I'm so glad you linked to that photo..I don't think it can be seen too often.As the saying goes ,
R-r-rowr-r-r-r....:laugh:

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
The Shibutani's programs are just terrible. Nothing interesting about them at all and that free dance is definitely a few steps back. The French team, The Russian team and that other Canadian team is going blow their doors off this year.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
The Shibutani's programs are just terrible. Nothing interesting about them at all and that free dance is definitely a few steps back. The French team, The Russian team and that other Canadian team is going blow their doors off this year.

You've already stated your opinion on this...also mentioning Tessa's "weight gain" multiple times...I think you've made your opinion on the Canton teams very clear, my friend :laugh:

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
I saw elena Glebova's SP to "Angels and Demons" and have to say she looked great, she has worked on her technique and changing coaches has done her a lot of good, that was worth 60 points to me, brilliant elena keep it up:biggrin:

Tessa on the other hand has definitely picked up weight. She is starting to develop those 'Hottentot Venus' thighs.
The use of that epithet is disgusting. Look up its history and weep.

Moreover, the idea that Tessa is getting fat is absurd. She looks fabulous.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Ditto ! ..I'm not usually into feeding trolls, but since I have company...the person that comment reflects badly on is the person who used it.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
I just came home from the competition.
I was rooting for Adrian Schultheiss and it was sad to see that he had a good warm-up but when the competition started he lost his jumps. When he fell his last jump and couldn't do the combo he seemed very frustrated and angry and sort of threw his hand in the air. I also saw him after the competition and he looked pissed. ...
Finally got around to watching video.
His short program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvcQg2uFZtw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Long program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGlU8lHq718&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So happy he was able to redeem himself. I think he would have totally medalled if not for the short.
Go Adrian!!