Korean figure skating team signs first foreign coach | Golden Skate

Korean figure skating team signs first foreign coach

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
South Korea has signed the first foreign coach (Sergei Astashev from Russia) for its national figure skating team in hopes of bolstering its medal prospects for the upcoming Winter Olympics, the sport’s national governing body said Wednesday.

More

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
God knows it's not right to saddle the entire hopes of the country on Yu-Na's back. Hopefully Korea will produce some world stage worthy skaters to carry on the Kim/Korea legacy. As of now though, she stands alone...

krenseby

Final Flight
God knows it's not right to saddle the entire hopes of the country on Yu-Na's back. Hopefully Korea will produce some world stage worthy skaters to carry on the Kim/Korea legacy. As of now though, she stands alone...

I have a feeling she deeply cares about the figure skaters in her country. She might help them out a bit.

feraina

Record Breaker
Hmm, interesting. I thought the Russian federation has told Russian coaches to stop helping foreign skaters. I guess Astashev won't be going back to Russia to coach again any time soon... What notable skaters has he coached so far?

Among the young Koreans, Hae-Jin Kim (14) looks the most promising:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfhTTKLyF_8

She's debuting on JGP this week in Australia. She'll probably go for a 3F-3R, which she was credited with at the Asian Figure Skating Trophy recently, where she won.