Olympic gymnastics medalist Paul Hamm arrested | Golden Skate

Olympic gymnastics medalist Paul Hamm arrested

Johar

Medalist
USA really needs him for the Olympics and now he has likely blown it. Thanks alot!

Blue Bead

Medalist
Wow!!! He's really gone off the deep end! I wonder what's behind his drinking...the cause of it, I mean.

IGottaBeMe

Spectator
Wow!!! He's really gone off the deep end! I wonder what's behind his drinking...the cause of it, I mean.
Really makes you wonder... could be a number of things, there is usually a deep seeded reason for people turning to alcohal or drugs. Sad to see! Hope he gets some much needed help.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I somehow felt pity for him.

He had quite a few drinks that night (nothing illegal about it). He was responsible enough to hire a taxi to get home (He didn't drink and drive). He was so drunk that he fell asleep in the taxi and unintentionally locked the cab door. After being waken, he tried to get out through the window. Still drunk and half-asleep, he swore at the cab-driver and elbowed him in the mouth as the latter was trying to help him open the window. "I don't understand. I'm gonna kill you guys," he said. The sentence "I don't understand" speaks a thousand words to me. He was clearly in a stage where he was totally disoriented and could hardly tell the real from a dream.

If he was too drunk to unlock the cab door, he was probably too drunk to pull out his wallet and pay the taxi fare as well, which was the greatest concern of the cab driver. The so-called "refusing to pay" was the driver's word against that of someone who couldn't remember a thing. Could the "assault" be a result of the driver trying to reach his pocket and thus getting a swear and an elbow? The word of the sober against the memory of the drunk, who's gonna win?

Did he threaten the police? Well, we have to prove that he was conscious enough to recognize them as "police". He might think they were a bunch of robbers like the cab driver going after his wallet.

Did he actually lock the cab door by accident? Or could it be in fact not him but the cab driver, who might have blocked the cab door to prevent him from leaving without paying?

I have no problem with somebody having a night out and getting drunk as long as they prearrange a transportation to go home. His only mistake in my mind was getting so drunk that he did and said something he probably could not even remember when he sobered the next day. Poor thing! He lost his job and got several charges thanks to the intoxication that inhibited his consciousness. I would feel even more sorry for his ordeal if his drinking was a means to release his pains from the injuries he had suffered throughout all those years of hard training and competitions.

Last edited: