Plane carrying entire Russian-based KHL league team crashed 09/07/11 | Golden Skate

Plane carrying entire Russian-based KHL league team crashed 09/07/11

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
As a hockey fan in addition to figure skating, I was wondering if anyone else had heard the news of yesterday's plane crash in Russia, resulting in the deaths of 43 people. Among those dead were almost the entirety of the KHL (Kontinental Hockey League, a major Russian-based European league) team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, 4 players from their junior team, the coaching and support staff, and the pilots and flight crew. Total was 43 dead.

Reports are that 2 of the 45 on the flight survived, flight engineer Alexander Sizov, and player Alexander Galimov. Both are in Moscow right now. At least Galimov (on whom there are more reports) is under the care of Russia's top burn-care doctor, and has been able to at least somewhat communicate with his father who is with him at the hospital.

This link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792 is to the NHL's most up to date article on the crash, including names of known players who had participated in the NHL. The coach, Brad McCrimmon, was also a former NHL player who had gone to Russia to coach in hope of possibly ending up with an NHL coaching job. The players in general, according to Wikipedia, are from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, Czech Republic, Sweden, Germany, and Slovakia. In Europe, I know this is much bigger news than in the United States. A friend who lives in the Czech Republic is from the same town as the late Karel Rachůnek, one of the players on the flight.

As skating fans who have gone through a tragedy like this, especially with the 1961 crash and the RISE movie earlier this year (which immediately came to my mind when I saw the news yesterday afternoon), I just thought you all might understand.

DianaSelene

Medalist
As a hockey fan in addition to figure skating, I was wondering if anyone else had heard the news of yesterday's plane crash in Russia, resulting in the deaths of 43 people. Among those dead were almost the entirety of the KHL (Kontinental Hockey League, a major Russian-based European league) team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, 4 players from their junior team, the coaching and support staff, and the pilots and flight crew. Total was 43 dead.

Reports are that 2 of the 45 on the flight survived, flight engineer Alexander Sizov, and player Alexander Galimov. Both are in Moscow right now. At least Galimov (on whom there are more reports) is under the care of Russia's top burn-care doctor, and has been able to at least somewhat communicate with his father who is with him at the hospital.

This link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792 is to the NHL's most up to date article on the crash, including names of known players who had participated in the NHL. The coach, Brad McCrimmon, was also a former NHL player who had gone to Russia to coach in hope of possibly ending up with an NHL coaching job. The players in general, according to Wikipedia, are from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia, Czech Republic, Sweden, Germany, and Slovakia. In Europe, I know this is much bigger news than in the United States. A friend who lives in the Czech Republic is from the same town as the late Karel Rachůnek, one of the players on the flight.

As skating fans who have gone through a tragedy like this, especially with the 1961 crash and the RISE movie earlier this year (which immediately came to my mind when I saw the news yesterday afternoon), I just thought you all might understand.

Vladislav Tretiak, the legendary hockey player, was giving an interview to the media about an hour or two after he heard the news. He tried to be calm but at the end, started crying and said "I can't do this."

silverpond

On the Ice
Yes, this tragedy was one of the top news stories today. My thoughts and prayers are with those who died, as well as their families, friends, and fans. What a horrible, horrible news story.

There have been threads on GoldenSkate concerning the plane crash outside of Brussels that took the lives of the entire 1961 US World Figure Skating Team, as well as all crew and passengers. I do not remember the plane crash, actually, but I've certainly read about it, and there have been televised tributes to the lost US World team. Those left behind - some of whom lost their coaches on the plane - were given the task of rebuilding the US figure skating program - and they rose, sort of like Phoenixes from the ashes - in the following years. Peggy Fleming, Gary Visconti, Scott Ethan Allen, Cynthia and Ronald Kaufmann, and others, rose to the occasion beautifully.

Again, my sincere condolences to the families, friends, and fans of those who lost their lives in the plane crash.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Vladislav Tretiak, the legendary hockey player, was giving an interview to the media about an hour or two after he heard the news. He tried to be calm but at the end, started crying and said "I can't do this."

Wow.

Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals, who is from Russia, posted on Twitter "Сашка Галимов ты должен жить!держись!мы все с тобой!!молимся за тебя!" which translates to "Sasha Galimov you must live! Hold on! We are all with you! Pray for you!".

Ilya Bryzgalov, the new goalie for the Philadelphia Flyers, posted this: "Watching pictures and highlights of #LOKOMOTIV games. I can not accept they are no longer with us. To Alexanders : you must live, we believe"

This link: http://achicksperspective.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/reality-check/ is reportedly an account from the chauffeur who picked up the family of the deceased Latvian player Karlis Skrastins' family (mother-in-law, two daughters age 2 and 5, and his pregnant wife) from Dallas to take them to the airport to fly to Russia and claim the body. It seems as if the mother had not yet told the girls what happened.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This has got to be the worst summer ever for hockey.

As horrible as the 1961 loss of US skating team was, this affect even more people, being a more popular sport, with more fatalities and 10 nations involved.

May people find comfort however they can.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
This has got to be the worst summer ever for hockey.

As horrible as the 1961 loss of US skating team was, this affect even more people, being a more popular sport, with more fatalities and 10 nations involved.

May people find comfort however they can.

Worst summer is right. Especially with the Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak deaths earlier due to multiple causes (overdosing and/or suicides - all three had some sort of depression issues, possibly stemming from concussions and the like).

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such horrible news! My condolences to all the families of the victims of the crash and hockey fans around the world.