Figure Skating Attire - What's Your Preference? | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Attire - What's Your Preference?

silverpond

On the Ice
I guess when we skate outdoors, the primary consideration is to stay warm, which means layers of clothes, sweaters, hats, glvoes, socks, etc.

Now that we're approaching a new season of indoor skating, what kind of clothes do you like to wear? Do you wear jumpsuits, jeans/sweaters, leotards, etc? Some of the pro women wear knee-length stretch dresses with leggings, which provides a nice look, don't you think? I would like to find something that is comfortable, stretchy, and also provides, if possible, some padding. What's your preference, and can you recommend any companies?

Thanks! :biggrin:

gkelly

Record Breaker
For practice, I usually wear leggings with shorts over them, or stretch pants, and a t-shirt or mock turtleneck.

Less often I'll wear a skating skirt or practice dress instead of the shorts.

And small stretchy knit gloves.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I always wear tights with leggings over them and a tank top, but my rink is reasonably warm. Some times I wear tights and a skirt, but most of the girls I skate with opt for leggings.

doubleflutz

On the Ice
Leggings and very cheap/thin nylon socks, and then depending on what rink I'm at and how cold things are, anything from just a tank-top to a t-shirt to multiple long-sleeved t-shirts and a puffy fleece parka vest thingie. I'm really, really finnicky about temperature control, so I like the option of layering things or taking stuff off. Sometimes I'll wear a jacket or hoodie with sleeves, but ones that are nice and warm tend to be too stiff in the arms for my taste, and ones that have good arm mobility aren't warm enough to be worth it! Plus cheap cotton stretch gloves if I'm working on jumps or anything else that might end up involving hand to ice contact. Otherwise I wear fingerless arm-warmers I knitted myself to look cool and show off my nail polish, yay vanity. The only brand reccomendation I have is for the Under Armour frosty tights, which are amazing and worth the money they cost, but really more of a legging type thing. Everything else is cheap generic stuff from Old Navy or like that, that I get when it's on sale. Oh, and lycra boot covers because I'm lazy and don't want my skates to get scuffed up.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Either leggings/running tights and a tank (t shirt in the winter) with a fleece for warm up or tights and a skirt. Always stretchy mittens or glove as well. I used to wear boot cut pants, but when I started seriously working on double jumps, interesting IJS spin variations, and tight footwork, I had several "accidents" with near death experiences of getting my free foot stuck in the loose part of the pants. I went to leggings/running tights then. I like that since I dropped a few pounds that the leggings can now be pulled down over the back of my boot. In addition, for "nicer" practices (think competition practices like the week of Adult Nationals or lessons with my coach), I wear Flowerdaze "boot cut" pants and a tank or tee that matches the trim on the pants. Flowerdaze boot cut pants are for pulling down over the back of your boots and they are crystaled up one leg so they look really cool. :) (yes, I put in a shameless plug for my friend here).

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I guess it's easier for me, since I'm male and I live in a warm climate, but for practice I tend to wear athletic pants, and golf shirts made out of that athletic fabric. I feel too casual when I wear t-shirts (no joke), and I have that body type that just doesn't look good with crew neck shirts.

silverpond

On the Ice
Just visited the website of the local ice rink in my area....and the suggested attire to wear for the skating classes was pretty much what all of you folks suggested - plus a helmet.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you're skating outside it better be cold enough for the lake to stay frozen, so bundle up!

Indoors the air will probably be above freezing temperature . And if you're skating hard and fast, you'll warm up but might want to start with layers.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Usually I wear leggings like skating/dance pants or tights with yoga shorts over them with a t shirt. If I wear the leggings I wear something called a wrap around over them.. I got it from when I danced on drill team. A wrap around looks like this: http://www.dance-n-things.com/products/embacc/wrapskirts.htm... I sometimes wear a sweatshirt over my shirt but I always take it off. I also wear some knit gloves because I'm really anal about my hands being clean and I feel really gross after I fall and they swipe the ice. For socks, I just wear some thin-ish ankle socks.

Brenda

On the Ice
plus outdoors skating has more windchill factor which makes it more necessary to wear more layers, regardless of actual air temp

in any indoors rink, even the colder ones, I can't do anything more than a long-sleeved tshirt and leggings...preferably short-sleeved, but then I worry about falling and skinning my elbows, haha!

Same as most people here, leggings over tights..... lots of layers since the temperature of the arena can vary alot where I train. Today I had two layers of gloves to keep my fingers warm. I may actually strip down to a t-shirt but only during the summer if it is warm enough, and it has to be pretty warm for me!

I really don't enjoy skating outdoors since you have to wear so many layers of clothes and it's impossible to move!

In my blog this week (and last) I'm discussing what to wear for those special skating occasions like tests or competitions.

AmuChan363

Rinkside
When I skate on indoor rinks: tights of some sort, black capri leggings, legwarmers(on colder sessions and months), buttpads(if i feel jump-ambitiouss); tanktop and then a form fitting but still comfortable black t-shirt on top, and either a hoodie or fleece jacket(for warmup and cold sessions) with gloves.

When i skate outdoors (because i'd rather skate when its -10C outside because the recreational skaters don't, and hey, free ice time ;D): basically everything i'm wearing indoors, but instead of buttpads I wear a pair of thin shorts under my tights, an extra long pair of socks either on top of my existing tight/sock covered foot, and at least another layer under my jacket.

thevaliantx

Rinkside
Which got me to thinking, have any of you ever forgotten that you were wearing the buttpads and then gone to a mall or something and realized -- after all the looks -- that something wasn't right? :laugh:

AmuChan363

Rinkside
Which got me to thinking, have any of you ever forgotten that you were wearing the buttpads and then gone to a mall or something and realized -- after all the looks -- that something wasn't right? :laugh:

YES. and walking around with a wet butt and buttpads and people looking at you....

icedust

Rinkside
Well, my preference has always been:

- leggings (thick ones, but I'll get to that down a bit)
- bare feet (I know this isn't every one's bag, but I can't wear anything on my feet in my skates)
- a sports top, sleeveless if possible
- a cotton t-shirt
- a long-sleeved fleece zip up
- a cotton scarf
- a hat
- gloves

For the leggings, I recommend the brand Banana Moon. The ones I have (and have been wearing believe it or not since 2002) are by that brand and are made of a sort of really think, swim-suit type material with fleece on the inside. They are incredible. They were expensive, but I got them in the sale. If you can get your hands on them I'd say go for it because they're amazing.

Otherwise I also had a pair of amazing cotton Repetto trousers which had draw-strings at the bottom (awesome for hiking them up to the knees so you can see the leg lines better, or leave them down for more warmth - SO versatile). They were like $100, but SO worth every penny.

Gigi
X

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreaswi

Rinkside
I skate in a body shaper (like spanx) a body hugging tank top, dance tights (not a thick as skate tights), and "booty/bootie" bike shorts. I get really hot and start sweating usually within 5 minutes. I am also a plus size skater (5'6 and about 210 pounds). I have serious trouble finding stuff in plus size. In the winter I skate in a body shaper, body hugging short sleeve t- shirt and lycra leggings (bathing suit pants). It took me about a year to get comfortable with all the body hugging clothes being as big as I am. I still feel body conscious when I see myself in pics or video my coach takes

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I usually wear over-the-boot skating pants that are really stretchy and really comfortable, and they keep feet really warm. However, they are not pleasant to fall on so I usually also wear regular yoga pants on the top of them. Then I would wear a t-shirt and some kind of sweater or sweatshirt. I prefer one that is not puffy because I like to watch the lines of my arms when I do footwork. :)