Patrick Chan | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes. He's saying he wants to top his previous marks. He's aiming for 300 overall and three quads in the LP by/at Nationals

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, he wants to constantly raise the bar, or he would quit as his coach predicts. Since he set the bar, he has to beat himself. Makes sense. But he says he's not among the greats in performance and artistry and that's where he's now free to pursue, with the WC title already earned.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
I'm not really sure the idea of Guinness World Record for highest scores makes much sense when one considers the variability in judging and the fact that the values and rules change quite frequently, but that's the same problem I have with the way the ISU handles scores and records, so no use debating that issue yet again.

Anyway, while raising the bar on the technical side is certainly exciting, I'm glad Chan is working on his performance and artistry, because those are his two weakest areas. There was much improvement last season, but there is still room for more.

Getting 300+ will be tough, but is certainly doable.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Patrick Chan skating to be 'one of the greats'

There's a new article on UnversalSports by Alexa Ainsworth, which I can 't post here for some reason (Automatic removal?)

I'd really suggest him to get some media training... some of his comments are just :rolleye:

If he want to win at Sochi, he better not to annoy the Russians as he already has done. Comments like 'motivate' Plushy to compete is rather :unsure: ?!

Last edited:

fscric

On the Ice
I googled the article to see what has Patrick said about Plushenko now, I find him to be very complimentary of Plushenko; he wants to compete with him in the same group, he considers Plushenko his mentor when he was learning the quad, and he would have been more nervous at the World had he known Plushenko was there watching. His 'motivate him to compete' is not in any way derogatory, IMO.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I googled the article to see what has Patrick said about Plushenko now, I find him to be very complimentary of Plushenko; he wants to compete with him in the same group, he considers Plushenko his mentor when he was learning the quad, and he would have been more nervous at the World had he known Plushenko was there watching. His 'motivate him to compete' is not in any way derogatory, IMO.

I don't know... thing is I don't think Patrick realize how he can came across during written interviews, and how some of these words can be misconstrued by the antis.

It is one thing to say he hope that Plushenko would compete because it would be an honour to compete against him, then to say Plushenko should compete because he could be inspired by Patrick who does quads now and in a way he is like a mentor (what!?). I want to like Patrick more, but often at times, he does come across just a little bratty and arrogant on written interviews without all that Patrick smile to dilute the tension if you know what I mean. Given some of his faux pas in the past, including comments on Joubert and Plushy, I don't think I am alone in thinking that way.

fscric

On the Ice
then to say Plushenko should compete because he could be inspired by Patrick who does quads now and in a way he is like a mentor (what!?).

Sorry, are you saying that Patrick thought he's a mentor to Plushenko now that he (Patrick) has the quad?

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Chan was saying that Plushenko was a mentor, but I agree that the whole motivate Plushenko line can be taken as a little arrogant. That has long been one of Chan's biggest PR problems. He says things that he may not even mean to sound arrogant, but can be taken that way. He needs to work on that.

ghislaine

Rinkside
I find it strangest that he says "Phantom lost its chemistry because it was a repeated program", and yet he's repeating Take Five.

prettykeys

Medalist
:laugh: I honestly kinda like Patrick Chan's candor. At least nothing he says sounds calculatedly polite, which annoys me most. Yes, sometimes he does manage to put his foot in his mouth, and he draws ire, but wanting to "motivate Plushenko" sounds complimentary - he is acknowledging that Evgeny Plushenko is not one to back down from any challenge, and some of Plushenko's supporters have remarked that for a while now he had no one and nothing to really push him since his baseline was so far ahead of many of his competitors. At this point in time, I think Patrick can give himself that much esteem, as he is good, and to say so isn't arrogant, it is just a fact. However, it is a little mismatched when you consider that he is in the peak years of a male skater, and Plushenko has hit the age when most have begun their decline.

These next few years in skating will be fun to watch.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
HD Moondance as broadcast.

With a receptive audience, outside a competition, there is no lack of performance, expressions and interactions from Patrick, even with such difficult choreography, especially for a show program. This is a "reaching out" program instead of his usual "drawing in" ones. I happen to think it's harder to draw the audience in but it's also less appreciated.

With age, more emotions may be approprietely expressed in his programs and it's great Patrick is striving to improve that aspect of his skating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's fundraising dinner on Chinese media.

Noteworthy:

1) He didn't show up in a T-shirt. :biggrin:

2) P J Kwong was the event host.

3) Over 400 attendees from skating community, Chinese communities, and fan groups. The organizer mentioned that among the guests were supporters from the US, Europe, China, Korea, and Japan. They were there to celebrate Patrick's World Championships win and his 3 Guinness records as well as to raise funds for his training which PJ revealed as costing over $100K per year.

4) There were performances, auctions, silent auctions, and prize draws.

5) Patrick said he was presently into the most intense training period, practising his new LP for the WC in Nice. It has been a challenge to find time to train due to performing in shows overseas and he will be going to Japan at the end of this month for Japan Open. He said he needed to resolve this problem before the competition season would begin.

6) He is keeping the SP from last season but the LP will be completely different, artistcally and emotionally. It will be his best program so far and he loves it. He is practising a new quad to add to the program.

7) As told to PJ, his biggest adversary on his journey to Sochi Olympics is himself.

I don't expect Patrick to burst out of the gate this year. He did shows in China and then Korea, staying with relatives in Singapore in between. There has been little time at his training rink in the shortened summer. At Skate Canada at the end of October, Takahashi should have an advantage over him. Dai's summer shows and the coming Japan Open are at home, leaving him more time and energy to train. I also expect to see a new Daisuke, knee pins removed and more motivated than last season.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It is. I can't get the second page to appear, but when I go to "Advanced Reply", I can read SF and doris' comments.