Agnes Zawadzki | Golden Skate

Agnes Zawadzki

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
Does anyone have any news on Agnes ? About her programs or her coaching change ? She's my favourite American skater at the moment and I hope she has a great season.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Does anyone have any news on Agnes ? About her programs or her coaching change ? She's my favourite American skater at the moment and I hope she has a great season.
Zawadzki's USFS/IceNetwork bio says her SP music is "Harlem Nocturne" arranged by David Rose, "Whatever Lola Wants" by Stan Kenton, "Harlem Nocturne" arranged by Duke Ellington and her FS music is TBD.

She's scheduled to compete in a club competition in Colorado Springs next week, so we may get more news if she does.

reynycpr

On the Ice
^^ thanks for the link.

Not that she had problems before but her spins seem to have better positions and more speed. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see her programs for this season.

kalle

On the Ice
Agnes Zawadzki's exhibition from Korea earlier this summer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwX4od-C2tk

Oh, she is so smoot over the ice!I have big hopes for her this year and I am sure the ups and downs from last season was a good experience..
Mirai has always been a bit of a favorite of mine but Agnes has that something and I could watch her jump all day long! Actually, it is very nice to see such a good jumper from the US again :p
I like the pop that she and Hicks get in their jumps but Agnes also has good spins and flow over the ice, mabye it is going to be her "break out" season, she surely has what it takes.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That costume gives her a very, very adult look, something that she didn't have last year! Good for Agnes!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
She really does look like a true senior lady now. I know it's only her exhibition program, but based on what I'm seeing so far, I think it's about time to hop on the Agnes Love Train before it leaves the station. :)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Nice program. Unfortunately, there was no outward connection to the audience; she looked down the whole time, never out into the crowd, and she didn't smile until the end. I think had she done that, the program would have been so much better. But I'm not too worried about that though. She's capable of doing it...she just didn't do it here.

I think Agnes has a good shot at moving up in US ranks this year to 2nd or even 1st. I think both Agnes and Christina Gao are the ones to watch this season. Both have the jumps and their presentation is steadily improving. This of course spells doom for skaters like Ashley and Mirai--the ones everyone are waiting on to get their crap together. And it puts skaters like Alissa and Rachael on the chopping block. I really wouldn't be surprised if we get a brand new US champ this year. The younger girls are coming in and have no problems pushing the older ones out, especially when they don't put up a fight.

It's going to be an interesting season...:cool:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Very nice exhibition program.:cool: True, she could have projected to the audience a bit better but she moves so nicely. Those spins looked great and she is possibly the best jumper the U.S. ladies have right now. I haven't forgotten that she had the highest LP TES at nationals last year. She certainly could be national champion this year if she skates perfectly.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice program. Unfortunately, there was no outward connection to the audience; she looked down the whole time, never out into the crowd, and she didn't smile until the end. I think had she done that, the program would have been so much better. But I'm not too worried about that though. She's capable of doing it...she just didn't do it here.

I think Agnes has a good shot at moving up in US ranks this year to 2nd or even 1st. I think both Agnes and Christina Gao are the ones to watch this season. Both have the jumps and their presentation is steadily improving. This of course spells doom for skaters like Ashley and Mirai--the ones everyone are waiting on to get their crap together. And it puts skaters like Alissa and Rachael on the chopping block. I really wouldn't be surprised if we get a brand new US champ this year. The younger girls are coming in and have no problems pushing the older ones out, especially when they don't put up a fight.

It's going to be an interesting season...:cool:
Mirai is still a better all around skater then both Agnes and especially Christina. If she lands her jumps they won't beat her.

jcoates

Medalist
The cosmetic changes that have been made (sleek ponytail, black cocktail style skating dress with a slight Vegas showgirl edge, and more mature makeup) definitely improve and upgrade her on-ice image. Still I felt the delivery of the opening choreography was a tad stiff and slightly awkward. In that regard, it was reminiscent of Amber Corwin to my eye. She needs to relax her shoulders and not hunch them upward so much in order to allow her willowy arms to have full effect. She should also take more time with the opening moves to allow herself and the audience to properly get into the bluesy mood of the music. Hopefully the more she performs it and really feels the music and its meaning, the better her presentation will become. It's a very adult song and I wonder if she is just a little too inexperienced with the hard knocks of life to convey it's full meaning at this point. The program should give a vibe deep contentment and joyous relief after a period of long-suffering and patient longing. Like an enormous sigh after long, tiring, but ultimately successful day. Still, it's a move in the right direction. I'm glad to see one of our senior ladies actually putting out a program where she actually skates like a woman with no effort to be cute, perky, edgy apply any other such veneer to her skating. It's nicely reminiscent of the way young American women used to skate in the 80's and early 90's. Simple and elegant.

jatale

On the Ice
I've been a Agnes fan since I first saw her skate last year. She has a lot of potential, and I do think she could be a future US champion. Nice mature exhibition program in Korea, thanks for the youtube link!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Mirai is still a better all around skater then both Agnes and especially Christina. If she lands her jumps they won't beat her.

To me the situation with the U.S. ladies is basically the same as last year. Mirai is probably the best all around skater but she needs to deliver when it counts most. I hope she has worked out a few of the technical issues on her jumps that seemed to be more of a problem last year, too. Agnes has great jumps and speed and is very pleasing. Alissa has the best spins and is much more sophisticated than all of them but we all know her weaknesses. Personally, I can't help but think of Christina as being in a category below these girls. This year she needs to prove she's not a junior anymore. I'm not sure what to think about Rachael this year because her life has changed so much that it's too hard to say how it will affect her skating, especially after a difficult year. I have to wait to see her compete, even more than the other girls.
Basically, it's anyone's game, just like last year.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The cosmetic changes that have been made (sleek ponytail, black cocktail style skating dress with a slight Vegas showgirl edge, and more mature makeup) definitely improve and upgrade her on-ice image.

Instead of looking like a 16-year old hooker as she did last year, she now looks like a 19-year old hooker.

Sorry, but that's really all I get from her skating right now. I look at her and think "street walker". There's something tacky about her aura.

Aside from my own personal reaction, more specifically, she is very stiff in both her body and face. Needs to work on that considerably.

jcoates

Medalist
Instead of looking like a 16-year old hooker as she did last year, she now looks like a 19-year old hooker.

Sorry, but that's really all I get from her skating right now. I look at her and think "street walker". There's something tacky about her aura.

Aside from my own personal reaction, more specifically, she is very stiff in both her body and face. Needs to work on that considerably.

Blades of Passion, I think the negative labels you're using for Agnes are pretty inappropriate in general and particularly for this forum. If you dislike her appearance, there are more measured words you could use to make that point. It significantly detracts from the more substantive point you make later in your post.

sarahspins

Rinkside
more specifically, she is very stiff in both her body and face. Needs to work on that considerably.

I agree, she just doesn't have the grace and artistry of some of the other girls, but I think she easily COULD have this since despite being a powerful jumper she appears quite tall and lean on the ice, which is why it bothers me that she doesn't. The costumes on top of that are just too much IMO... she should skate in something simpler, and not quite so bright, because the combo just isn't a nice one.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She's only 16, right? I'm willing to give her a couple years first. You don't really know at this point how she's going to turn out.