Country
United-States
Russia’s Konstantin Menshov is an exception in a sport where mostly young
athletes celebrate early success.

More

callalily

On the Ice
I like this comment from his interview:

He easily admits that he loves jumping, but he improved his skating skills and spins with the arrival of the new judging system.

“It was hard to adapt,” Menshov said, laughing.
“The new system raised the level of figure skating. We’ve worked a lot on skating skills and spins, because it is obvious that you can’t skate like before – like doing 15 cross overs and a jump.”

:laugh: ITA.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I like this comment from his interview:

He easily admits that he loves jumping, but he improved his skating skills and spins with the arrival of the new judging system.

“It was hard to adapt,” Menshov said, laughing.
“The new system raised the level of figure skating. We’ve worked a lot on skating skills and spins, because it is obvious that you can’t skate like before – like doing 15 cross overs and a jump.”

:laugh: ITA.

I like that comment, too... He seems a level-headed guy and I wish him success in this season. I remember him as a 12 years old guy performing in the exhibition after the 1996 Centennial On Ice competition.

Thanks for the interview!

Last edited:

Tatjana

On the Ice
I love this interview!

But I do wish I knew what his SP music is...

When I talked to him, he only explained the story of the program, not the music. I have now asked him by email, and hopefully we'll get an answer. At the latest I can talk to him again at the Nebelhorn Trophy. Often skaters don't know the titles of their music, which always surprises me.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I've noticed that. Oda didn't know the title(s) of the music in one of his programs this year. I find it odd, considering how much they pay their choreographers.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I've noticed that. Oda didn't know the title(s) of the music in one of his programs this year. I find it odd, considering how much they pay their choreographers.

Yes, that is a bit odd. On the other the main thing is that they know/understand their choreography, LOL.

gmyers

Record Breaker
His long career is impressive. And that so much success came at 27. He was competing against Yagudin and Plushenko and Abt.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I hope Konstantin sticks around for at least a while. I like that he actually seems to have a sort of distinct style among the Russian men, many of whom seem to be bent on imitating Plushenko.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I like his style too. He reminds me of some of my old time favorite Russian men, Bobrin & Kotin, a bit.

Tatjana

On the Ice
I really started to like Konstantin Menshov in the past few years. He has developped his own style and he is so persistent. He now told me the SP music. It is from the "Men in Black II" soundtrack.