New Skating Reality Show (skaters wanted) | Golden Skate

New Skating Reality Show (skaters wanted)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think it's a really good idea, especially after watching Dance Moms. I think it'd be interesting if the show followed two or three skating clubs, the coaches, skaters and parents. It'd be a really interesting glimpse into how much work skaters put in for those few minutes on the ice. And of course there'd be drama too. I'd totally watch it!

Watch, if that happens, pretty soon there will be a gymnastics type reality show too. :p

mskater93

Record Breaker
I am really excited as I heard from someone who got contacted to participate as coach.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If well done, the show's popularity could help with skating's popularity in the US.

Instead of simply filling the show with strong personalities just for drama, perhaps nominated promising young skaters may be featured and followed through to future success if the show and we are lucky with the picks. Imagine a future US champion! It may be tempering with fate with the cause and effect, e.g. positive funding but negative distraction, but fun and likely very educational and inspirational.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Success of the shows like this are always determined upon the personality and the talent of the participants.

Even if you have the worst produced show in the world, if a star is there that caught people's eye and they talk about it, they will watch it. Even if it is the most polished show, nobody is going to watch a talent with boring personality for educational purposes, they watch to be entertained.

I have always thought Mirai would be perfect for something like this except may be 5 years ago. May be there are still rooms for other skating reality shows such as with the recent Team USA training camp, to sneak peek at the shenanigans and the hard work it takes to become a USA/world leading figure skater.

Despite all fancy talk on marketing, branding building, nobody is going to be interested without a star to root for (just like American football. you don't market football, you market the team, the rivalry and the faces behind them). As with these things, the most important thing is proper star billing/building, someone worth to root for, so they will pay and watch.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is Life more like PBS or FOX? Will the show be more documentary or tabloid?

If CBC does it, I would expect to love it. Heck. CTV wouldn't be bad either.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Lifetime is a bit of a tearjerker network. Its reality TV shows are a more toned-down version of those on Fox, NBC, or even TLC/Discovery.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lifetime is a bit of a tearjerker network. Its reality TV shows are a more toned-down version of those on Fox, NBC, or even TLC/Discovery.

since when? their reality shows are just as pathetic as the rest of them.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I received an email a while ago (as I'm sure every skating site did) pertaining to this. I directed them to USFS which will help them filter down to the LA area I'm sure.

Jeff Collins' other productions include "Fly Girls"

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2010/03/fly-girls-premiere.jpg

"Bridezillas,"

http://allphoenixrealestate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/BridezillasWETV.jpg

http://planningforever.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/bridezilla.jpg

"I know my kid's a star"

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/04/02/star_narrowweb__300x550,0.jpg

http://unitedmonkee.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/haley_demenco_melissa_brassile.jpg

Parents say they were tricked into appearing in a reality show, reports Bridget McManus.

WHO, in their right mind, would sign up for a reality television show that portrayed them as that most hated of showbusiness stereotypes — the pushy stage parent? If the deceptive audition tactics of the producers of I Know My Kid's a Star are any indication, the answer is no one. When the 10 parents (nine mums and one dad) featured in Nine's local version of an American format took their little darlings to the cattle call, they hadn't the faintest idea that they, too, would end up being part of the show, let alone encouraged to torment their children and spar with other parents for the cameras. Even when they arrived at the Biggest Loser-style McMansion in Dural, north of Sydney for the two-week shoot, the whole thing was sold to them as a parent-and-child "team" competition.

glam

On the Ice
If this focused on higher-level skaters, then yes, it could potentially be good. However, judging from what Toddlers and Tiaras has done to pageants, this may be a bad thing for skating. We may not necessarily want people knowing about scary skating moms:

I like the idea of skating related reality-tv, but I'm sure this show will be a bad thing for skating. Crazy skating mums, angry couches, teary-eyed little girls. They are just looking for scandals and viewers.