What's in store for Joubert this season? | Golden Skate

What's in store for Joubert this season?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He is keeping his LP from last season and his new SP is Justice's Genesis.

He has another chance at COC to complete his GP medal collection but TEB will be tough for him.

Nebelhorn Trophy will be his first Senior B competition I think, or at least first in a long time. Maybe he needs the ISU points? Good line up there.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Brian has said that he will use this season to decide whether to carry on until Sochi or not. I get the sense that after a difficult 2010-11, he's mostly trying to enjoy himself on the ice (certainly that would explain the SP music choice). The big question for me is whether or not his knee injury has healed; he's had any number of medical issues in recent years, and it can't have been easy.

Beyond that, I have learned long ago not to try and predict what Brian Joubert might do.

Nebelhorn Trophy will be his first Senior B competition I think, or at least first in a long time. Maybe he needs the ISU points? Good line up there.
His first senior B ever. I guess he wanted early feedback on his programs, or maybe the FFSG is pushing its skaters to do senior Bs, as it worked well for P/B last season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope he can do well this season, maybe get back on the world podium. I felt sorry for him after the 2010 Olympics and last season which wasn't much better, although he did have a nice FS at 2011 Worlds. It's gotta hurt being caught up to and possibly surpassed by Amodio.

silverpond

On the Ice
A few years ago, I thought Brian Joubert was going to be the World Champion and possibly Olympic gold medalist. He had the champion's "look" while he skated. Hopefully, he'll have a really good competitive season and continue on through the next Olympics.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There was a lot of expression of surprise that he would do a "senior B" so maybe it wasn't going to happen. Maybe it's a first step to retirement! But I doubt that because worlds is in france. Though it's not like LAmbiel stayed around because euros was in Switzerland. I know EUros is not worlds but still. Though Joubert could just be withdrawing because he is not ready. The videos of his practice didn't indicate anything wrong. Hope he competes!

glam

On the Ice
There was a lot of expression of surprise that he would do a "senior B" so maybe it wasn't going to happen. Maybe it's a first step to retirement! But I doubt that because worlds is in france. Though it's not like LAmbiel stayed around because euros was in Switzerland. I know EUros is not worlds but still. Though Joubert could just be withdrawing because he is not ready. The videos of his practice didn't indicate anything wrong. Hope he competes!

Brian is definitely not retiring before Nice. Nice is his main goal this season and he has said that after Nice he will consider if he continues to Sochi. The reason why he withdrew from the Nebelhorn was that his new short program wasn't ready for judging.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
When he retires will he go into ice shows?

that's up to him, his agent... and the demand for him in said ice shows, there are more skaters than shows to go around these days in the US, but Europe seems to have a booming market...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think he wants to build a skating school in his hometown and coach there.

Brian has a thing against leaving his hometown, refusing to train elsewhere. Has he ever lived on his own? When he does shows in Asia, everything is arranged and activities scheduled, with other skaters and people he knows.

Skaters are sheltered to different degrees. At 22, Kozuka spent two weeks in N America on his own for the first time and that was regarded as a valuable first independent experience. OTOH, we read about Swedish skaters moving out of family home as young as 14. Adrian Schultheiss is often very lonely, eats poorly and goes through depression.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think he wants to build a skating school in his hometown and coach there.

Brian has a thing against leaving his hometown, refusing to train elsewhere. Has he ever lived on his own? When he does shows in Asia, everything is arranged and activities scheduled, with other skaters and people he knows.
Joubert has owned a home in/near Poitiers for at least a couple of years, IIRC - but I'm not clear on whether or not his mother lives there, too. He does go abroad for training and choreography and has done so for a long time, but yes, his base has always been in Poitiers. His stated plan post-skating is indeed to build a school and work with younger skaters to get them to an elite level.

To me, it seems that Joubert simply has a different approach than some skaters regarding how to balance his personal and professional life. He has accomplished quite a bit without leaving Poitiers for extended periods of time, so I guess it works for him. Moving away doesn't always work, as you noted, and high profile coaches are not the answer for everyone (e.g. Carolina Kostner certainly didn't do well training with Carroll in Southern California, and I believe she has talked of being homesick while there).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Brian is definitely not retiring before Nice. Nice is his main goal this season and he has said that after Nice he will consider if he continues to Sochi. The reason why he withdrew from the Nebelhorn was that his new short program wasn't ready for judging.

Good because one of the highlights of the whole Olympic season 2009-2010 was his SP at worlds. He can still have "it" sometimes.

Moskvina moved her whole school to the US and then moved it back to Russia. I know Sikharulidze did not like living in the US at all in any way!

LuCN

Rinkside
I've read some interview of Brian,which he said he doesn't like shows very much,and would like to open a skating school in Poitiers.and some aticals said he got more money from FFSG than do many shows,so he didn't attend much show.but he did many this year,don't know if he has changed his mind or FFSG don't give much money has before...