Dancing With The Stars - Anyone Watching??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dancing With The Stars - Anyone Watching???

I was quite taken aback by some of the things Maks said. I think it's great that he's protective of his partner, but I don't think he's doing her any favors by talking back this much. After all, the judges are supposed to be critiquing and weighing the performances. Though Len is grumpy, he does not insult performers personally and coldly the way Simon Cowell tends to. In this case, also, I think Len was probably right about Hope; last night she didn't show as much of a sense of rhythm and flow as some of the other dancers (notably JR), or as other athletes from previous years, such as Laila Ali.

The remark that shocked me the most was the one (I'm paraphrasing here) about Len having been around for too long. That's way out of line. So is the remark that he (Maks) helped make the show what it is. Cripes, both Len and Bruno are judges on both the American show and the British one. Their expertise has been instrumental to the show's success. I love Maks, but he should think twice before he mouths off like that. It just looks whiny. He's a good dancer, but so are all the others. Derek and Mark, probably the two best choreographers, don't fuss even when they're scolded for trying something that's just outside the rules. Even rebellious little Lacey Schwimmer pretty much smiles and accepts her criticism. Surely Maks can bite his tongue for five minutes while the microphones and the cameras are on him. He should apologize for this one, I think, because he called into question the very authority of a judge. That's like a judge telling one of the pro dancers that he/she isn't good enough to be a professional partner.

But didn't you love the two quicksteps, the ones by Ricki/Derek and JR/Karina? They were both just supreme.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, anyone have opinions on Max's blowup?

Heyang & Olympia I agree to certain point with what you both said but I think what upset Maks was Len's comments were so negative. I think Maks knows Hope stinks but like he said, were bustin our butts, it's not like we're not. I do agree that Maks should have just kept his mouth shut but that's not Maks. I think Len should have watched his tongue as well. He said and you're to blame Maks...my question is HOW?? He can't make his partner be sexy. It's so funny, I watch Maks more than her. My fear is that Maks will get the boot and then what am I supposed to do?? I also feel that Maks needs to show all the judges a little more respect as the judges need to respect the pro's and the celebrities. Remember Maks jumped all over Carrie Ann too.

I found this article interesting and the comments below it (some crude but funny). I had forgotten about Len commenting on Hope's boots.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/25/pro-loses-cool-fights-with-judges-on-dwts/

heyang

Record Breaker
Maks is somewhat to blame for Hope's performance. He's not drawing the best out of her. He's not giving her choreography that suits her personality. He could've used a different piece of music. As Bruno said, this piece required a variety of emotions and non-actress Hope wasn't capable of performing those emotions. So, why did Maks use that piece of music. He could've chosen something else with fewer moods.

I didn't read your link, Dee, but Len's point about the boots is that she would dance better in heels because it would force her to get up on her toes, which helps with the movement of the hips and legs. Instead, she ws flat footed, which allowed her to be somewhat clunky. I know she's tall, but even a 1 inch heel would've helped. Maks wouldn't let him finish his point.

Just listening to Maks now, he speaks of her meticulous footwork and technique... I don't see it. She's stiff and not fluid. She doesn't look like she's enjoyig herself and she hasn't improved.

Derek choreographs to highlight his partner's strength and draws his partner out of her shell. Mark will choreograph to hide his partners weakenesses by highlighting himself. Maks choreographs the routine he wants without considering if his partner can handle the performance aspects of the routine. New pro Tristan is doing a great job at choreographing for Nancy IMHO.

I do think the judges make their critiques somewhat on expectations. If anything, they are going to be harder on stars who they think can do better. If they just pat you on the head and don't ask anything of you, they really don't think you have a chance of winning - i.e. Chaz. It's better to get a real critique vs a pat on the head.

Derek Hough interview - essentially saying it's a competition and that you have to play to the judges, too, not just the audience.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20539746,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

Len interview from this morning.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/25/len-goodman-dwts-maks-feud/

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Are they patting Chaz on the head because they don't think Chaz will improve/has a chance of winning - or is it because they're worried of backlash?

did Nancy make it another week? I can't stand that woman... but I want to know because my aunt watches and I want to prepare myself for the rant when we talk tomorrow :laugh:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
did Nancy make it another week? I can't stand that woman... but I want to know because my aunt watches and I want to prepare myself for the rant when we talk tomorrow :laugh:
Prepare yourself for the rant, she in it for another week. :laugh: :laugh:

Apparently Cher had quite a bit to say on Twitter, I haven't checked it out but that's what I heard on the news.

In all the he said, she said, they said, I just hope Maks doesn't get the boot. I also thought if this was a setup as well. Who knows.

heyang

Record Breaker
Are they patting Chaz on the head because they don't think Chaz will improve/has a chance of winning - or is it because they're worried of backlash?

IMHO, it's a pat on the head.... They've treated other weaker dancers on the show in the same manner. They've been pretty truthful with him - 'that was a good performance for you ' - implying less than acceptable from anyone else.

Unless Chaz had natural dance capabilities, the odds were against him from the start since he is not athletic, out of shape and has bad knees. They treat Chaz the same as they did Steve Wozniac and Buzz Aldrin. Of the 3, the Woz was probably the least physically handicapped for DWTS - I can still see Steve trying to The Worm in one routine - something I can't picture Chaz or Buzz even trying.

The judges do want the stars to do well and get as frustrated as everyone else when their expectations aren't met. So, they push the better dancers for more and say 'nice job' to the ones who aren't showing potential, but are working hard.

I was a bit peeved when Maks made kind of a snide remark about Derek today. Robin Roberts on Good Morning America pointed out that Derek supported the judges. Maks said (1) Derek is supporting his career; and (2) If he (Maks) had had Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Grey, and Ricki Lake, he (Maks again) might support the judges too.

Both these remarks distress me, and keep in mind that I like Maks. The first remark: Derek might be "supporting his career," and why wouldn't he? It's the chance of a lifetime for a ballroom dancer to gain national recognition and weekly TV exposure, and it makes sense to be at least polite when benefiting from that. It's also possible that Derek believes in good manners to judges because he's been brought up that way. Ballroom dancers live and die by judges their whole career, not just on a show like this.

The second remark: I understand being a bit jealous of getting Nicole Scherzinger as a celeb partner--after all, she's gorgeous and has trained in dancing. But to be jealous of a fifty-year-old actress with a bad neck who hasn't danced in thirty years (Grey) and a forty-something-year-old talk show hostess with a weight problem (Lake) is delusional. (No insult meant; I just want to point out that these ladies didn't start out with an automatic advantage over the rest of the field.) These ladies both have musical potential, but they also have a great choreographer, Derek. Maks is a wonderful dancer and a good teacher, but I think as heyang says, his choreography doesn't spotlight his partner as artfully as Derek's does.

Whatever Maks's disappointments, he should be counting his blessings. He's one of the most popular pros (my co-favorite with Derek, and I know I'm not alone in this), and his career has been immeasurably advanced by the show. I think he's one of those David Caruso types, who starts seeing himself as ill-used and irreplaceable and talks himself out of a job. I hope someone sits him down and explains him the facts of life, because I'd miss him.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
My favorite pro is Derek. I definitely miss him when he's not on the show. My 2nd favorite is probably Julianne Hough, with regards to choreography and teaching....

I think the female pro's have it tougher initially. If the guy can't dance, then it makes double work for the female to lead and do all the flourishes. The male pros are all strong enough to lead any partner; so, at a minimum, they should get through a dance. It's impossible to have a good ballroom dance routine without a strong lead.

Did anyone watch the elimination show last night? It certainly didn't make me a fan of Justin Bieber (I think I'm way past the freshness date for that fandom), but the dance with Derek and that young woman from So You Think You Can Dance was aces! If that was his choreography, he's astoundingly good. It has struck me many times that it can't be coincidental that the two best choreographers on the show have tended to be Derek and Mark Ballas. Both of them grew up in the household of Corky and Shirley Ballas. Either they got fed something amazing with their corn flakes or Mr. and Mrs. Ballas are the best teachers around.

By the way, was that Chelsie Hightower dancing with Mark in one of the pro numbers? I really like her, and I miss her.

Something struck me as Maks was complaining about the partners Derek tends to get. I think Maks is one of the tallest of the men, and so he's the go-to guy for tall women celebrities. That's why he tends to get a lot of the athletes (not counting gymnasts and figure skaters, who are generally petite and go to Mark B.). He had the beach volleyball player before she injured herself, and Laila Ali. Most of the other men are middling to small, aren't they? (Tony may be pretty tall--he danced with Stacy Kiebler.) Just an idea.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nicole Scherzinger should have never won, Evan was robbed!!!

Olympia, I am not a Derek fan for some of the reasons already stated. Derek didn't need to spout off about Maks either.

You & Heyang make good points about the choreography and that Derek is better at showing off the lady.

I also wished that Maks should have kept his mouth shut.

I think the judges on DWTS need to learn how to convey GOOD constructive criticism.

So in my estimation it is one and half a dozen of the other??@#@#@!!!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone else think Nancy is going home tonight???

jcoates

Medalist
I hope so. She's done as much as she can do. It's time to get down to the real contenders.

I wondered if she was still on the show lol

She's gone; she was voted off this week.

Hey, she did a pretty good job. I'm not a particular fan of hers, but it takes guts to be on that show, especially if you don't look like Chynna Phillips or Brandy or have gymnastics training like Shawn Johnson. Nancy Grace threw herself into it with great gusto; she didn't hold back. Good for her.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
She's gone; she was voted off this week.

Hey, she did a pretty good job. I'm not a particular fan of hers, but it takes guts to be on that show, especially if you don't look like Chynna Phillips or Brandy or have gymnastics training like Shawn Johnson. Nancy Grace threw herself into it with great gusto; she didn't hold back. Good for her.

I've never paid much attention to her and what I had read/observed made her somewhat distasteful to me..... However, much like Jerry Springer, I found myself liking her on DWTS. She's a real person and she put herself out there and worked really hard. I think she really enjoyed the experience, too.

heyang

Record Breaker
Happy with the 3 finalists, but I won't say who to avoid spoiling until tomorrow.

Felt bad for JR last night - you could tell his twisted ankle was really affecting him. His posture in the paso was bad and he did deserve the 'ok' scores for that dance - I'm surprised Karina didn't correct that.

I was surprised at how much I liked Rob Kardashian's Argentine tango. It was powerful and well executed. He lived up to Cheryl's choreography. But how awful that JR hurt his ankle. He's such fun to watch: he moves beautifully, and he's so charismatic. I hope he heals fast. I still want JR or Ricki to win.

The Argentine tango is one of my favorite dances. The music Rob had was about my favorite tango music, an interesting arrangement of "Libertango." I also love the quickstep and the paso doble. The rumba leaves me somewhat cold generally. My favorite paso doble ever was Mario Lopez's with Karina. Part of the excitement was Mario himself, but part of it was the fact that they used a modern mariachi piece, from the movie El Mariachi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCC_LwBKch4

By the way, isn't Tom Bergeron the best host on TV? The guy even makes a product endorsement sound warm and spontaneous. He always strikes the right tone, no matter what happens. On the other hand, Brooke Burke has the most singsong, emotionless affect I may ever have seen on television. She displays absolutely no connection to any couple she's talking to.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I had to choose between JR & Hope, I choose JR. But to be honest, I am sad to see Maks leave, oops, I mean Hope.

I am a little put out with the judges, I felt like they were goading Maks. I didn't see Maks being disrespectful and I thought it was out of line for Carrie Ann to call him out....even if he was being, she could have waited until after the show and had it out with him in private. Maks has competed in dancing competitions, correct??? Then he knows how the competition judges critique. I guess you can tell that the judges were getting on my nerves. They were even a little quirky with JR, for God sake the man injured his foot and continued the dance. Kudos to JR and kudos to Hope for doing a great job this past week.

I watched the finale spottily because I had stuff to do, but the parts I saw were enjoyable. I was happy with the outcome.

One thing that I realized in the past few weeks: JR is so calm about his face that he allows himself to be shot most of the time from the left side, where he had the worst injuries, including the loss of an ear. It's so cool that he does this. I was reading this week about First Lady Julia Grant, the wife of Ulysses Grant. She had some kind of scar on the right side of her face and insisted on being photographed only in profile. (In those days it was easier to control photos because there was no such thing as a quick shot, let alone a paparazzo sneak-photographing from a distance.) And here's JR, just showing up and letting the cameras roll from all around. This guy has done more for visual differences than anyone around. And as if that (plus his million-watt smile) were not enough, he dances like a dream. The easy way he glides into his moves makes Rob Kardashian look stiff as a board by comparison.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The easy way he glides into his moves makes Rob Kardashian look stiff as a board by comparison.
I am very happy with the outcome. I was a little nervous Monday, the way the judges kept praising Rob.