Country
United-States
Top favorites Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov of Russia lead after the
Pairs short program at Nebelhorn Trophy, but it was a controversial win over
USA’s Caydee Denney and John Coughlin.

More

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Boy , sounds like rough stuff ! I may need some fortification before watching these , if they're ever posted on YouTube .:biggrin:

( Hmmm..lots of excuses being handed out in some quarters ...)

skfan

Final Flight
Boy , sounds like rough stuff ! I may need some fortification before watching these , if they're ever posted on YouTube .:biggrin:

( Hmmm..lots of excuses being handed out in some quarters ...)

there were excuses after the test skate as well, IIRC, which made no sense because nobody expects programs to be fully polished by test skate time. and what's this about receiving the music you're going to use in competition only a couple of days before the competition???? morozov, what are you doing to russia's #1 pair? 0_o

i am no fan of denney and coughlin's hacked-up EoE, but if V&T had that many flubs, including a lift that FAILED to go up, how in the world...

i'm still a V&T fan, though, and those SP costumes look awesome :D

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Did Tatiana borrow Nora Hoffman's costume from the Pussycat Dolls FD?

I'm not a fan of D/C by any means, but they seem to have been smart about their prep and have gone into the season with programs that suit them and showcase their skating to advantage. Now, it may just be early season bugs, but I haven't liked what I've seen from V/T so far this year. I can't understand why, having been gifted with an amazing pair, the Russian Fed has turned the choreo over to Morozov. I realize that they can't go to Steuer or Moskvina, but have TaT work with them, send them to Lori Nichol - anyone but Morozov.

smia

Rinkside
I would prefer they go to Peter Tchernyshev or Alexander Stepin for choreography. Absolute no to Lori Nichol, her choreography makes pairs look all the same, she has no originality.
I don't like their costumes. I prefer skirts on ladies because tights seem to detract from lines.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Well I'm also a fan of V/T..but not of Morozov's choreography. These programs ( from what I've seen on video ) seem examples of Brand Morozov..which I find repetitive , predictable ,sometimes outright sleazy , and often sporting unattractive and/or over-desined costumes...Talented Skaters under his tutelage will not reach their artistic potential and unfortunately enhance his reputation with their talent...vicious cycle. The choreography doesn't serve the skater so much as the skater serves the brand.

I would have loved to see what Tchernyshev could create for them , but perhaps that would not have been considered because he's worked with K/S . I'm not aware of Stepin's work..could you give an example ?

I wonder about the political situation..with Russia's heritage in the arts and skating , I can't help but imagine there may be talented choreographers who are never called on , because they're not connected.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
D/C have really shown up prepared this season. Whether they will keep that going straight through to Worlds or not remains to be seen but this is the best I've seen a new team skate in a long time. Well, a new American team anyway.

While I generally dislike Morosov's choreography, I actually don't mind this program. I think Morosov was actually an all right choice as a coach- he'll clearly get them more consistent, they'll instantly be the top of the pack, and given that the Russian Federation has been pretty open in that he'll get the full force of their support (witness I/K going to him and how that was handled). TAT's COP choreography includes that monstrosity we saw on Khoklova/Novitski during the Olympics and Mao Asada's albatross last season, so I don't think they should've went there. I have to admit, however, that the excuses rankle.

Recalling last season that S/S were quite close to Mt/M at SA and B/L at TEB in the short before pulling away in the long, I wouldn't worry too much.

Warning: the B/L program contains an epic/scary fall. Both are okay/continued skating (and yes, I'm a wuss when it comes to pairs and falling), but it scared me. I also thought their program has potential.