Pairs lifts for 2011-12 | Golden Skate

Pairs lifts for 2011-12

emma

Record Breaker
I was reading the great articles on Nelborn, and noticed that some of the pairs mentioned difficulties with the new lift rules or requirements. Does anyone know what these are and/or have some insights about them? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been discussed to death in a thread I overlooked.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Number of features for Levels: 2 for Level 2, 3 for Level 3, 4 for Level 4

Lifts 1) Seniors: Difficult variation of the take-off and/or difficult landing variety
Juniors: Simple variation of the take-off and/or simple landing variety (each counts as a feature)
2) 1 change of hold and/or lady’s position (1 rev. before and after the change, counts twice if repeated)
3) Difficult variation of the lady (one full revolution)
4) Difficult (simple for juniors) carry (not for SP)
5) One-hand-hold of the man (2 full revolutions in total not counting parts shorter than 1 rev.)
6) Additional revolutions of the man with one-hand-hold after 2 revolutions in 5) (only in FS and only in one
lift)
7) Change of rotational direction by the man (one revolution before and after the change)

That's the current rules. It's harder to get level four this season than last.

jcoates

Medalist
Eventually the man will have to balance the lady on his index fingertip while also transporting her back in time in order to get level four. This is just too overdone. Seriously they will run out of room one day forupdating some of these rules.

skatinginbc

Medalist
They will run out of room one day for updating some of these rules.
They can always add something like "to balance and rotate the lady on his index fingertip so fast that she flies up like a Helicopter" into their rule book. Seriously, it is supposed to be a skating competition, not an acrobat competition. If many pairs are able to achieve level 4, what's the big deal? It would only encourage those pairs to upgrade their skating skills to outscore other teams. So it's actually a good thing, not a bad thing to keep the levels easy.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Of course, we'd have to wait and see if it remains difficult to get the level four lifts - is it merely first time competition stuff?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Well, I don't know.. Along the same lines , I'm not a fan of the higher levels being given to any old catch foot position , regardless of how ugly it is ..so I do have a bit of sympathy here.

But I can't see how these lift requirements would be any easier for the younger , pure COP teams ( as some have suggested )... seems pretty convoluted for everyone , no ?

My first thought (being a worrywart) is "How many serious injuries will this lead to?" If pairs skating becomes as risky as gymnastics, I don't think I'll look forward to viewing it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. A quick glance at JGP Latvia tells us that most of the top juniors are capable of getting a level four lift.

2. Checking Nebelhorn out, the two lifts V/T did complete were level four (the aborted one didn't count). B/L's three lifts were level four. D/C and H/W did two. It does seem to be harder, but the teams can do it. That it's early in the season, programs tend to be in rougher shape won't help, but I don't think people need to worry.

3. Additionally, skatinginbc, it's worth pointing out that getting an extra GOE in all cases is the equivalent of getting an extra level, if not better.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eventually the man will have to balance the lady on his index fingertip while also transporting her back in time in order to get level four.

:points:

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks Doris and others! I guess my reaction is a little bit on the fear side - I hate the thought of accidents or injuries; and as much as I love lifts, I like pretty ones and worry this is going to generate more fugly positions. I sort of long for the some of the "good old days" of pairs when side by side spins were done in unison and the death spirals were beautiful and the lift positions made you forget about the difficulty of the lift as you focused on the amazing position....anyway, I didn't watch this comp or the juniors, so I should probably reserve judgment!