All Things Canadian Ice Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

All Things Canadian Ice Dance

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Canada does not rely on the results at Canadians for JGP assignments because growth spurts can play havoc with Junior skaters' development. They use the results of summer monitoring and summer comps to help determine who gets the spots.

Here were the Junior Canadian teams' summer results (by total score):

LAKE PLACID
104.49 POULIN / SERVANT
103.49 HASEGAWA / HASEGAWA
102.89 FOURNIER-BEAUDRY / BRETON
88.50 PARADIS / OUELLETTE
87.21 CARSWELL / TANGUAY
86.68 CYR / BRISEBOIS

MINTO
124.50 ORFORD / WILLIAMS
109.57 BRUSER / LUM
104.22 BENT / MacKEEN
100.69 DALMER / FIRUS
99.28 EDWARDS / PANG

QUEBEC
129.43 HASEGAWA / HASEGAWA
119.08 PARADIS / OUELLETTE
115.64 FOURNIER-BEAUDRY / BRETON
114.61 CYR / BRISEBOIS
110.45 CHOLETTE / PROULX SENECAL

THORNHILL
114.36 BENT / MacKEEN
100.68 KIRKLAND / LETTNER
95.57 KUZMICH / HOCKLEY
93.88 FORTIN / KLEFFMAN
86.44 NELLES / LETTNER

BC SUMMERFEST
119.35 EDWARDS / PANG
118.13 BRUSER / LUM

JGP ASSIGNMENTS went to:
ORFORD / WILLIAMS (2-GOLD, 6TH)
BENT / MacKEEN (2-BRONZE, 5TH)
HASEGAWA / HASEGAWA (2-5TH, 5TH)
EDWARDS / PANG (1-6TH)
BRUSER / LUM (1-6TH)
DALMER / FIRUS (1-9TH)
FOURNIER BEAUDRY / BRETON (1-11TH)

Last edited:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
That is really interesting, chuckm. I never trust home-baked scores, and I hope that Skate Canada takes these things with a grain of salt as well. Wow, there sure was a lot of pumping going on, especially in Quebec and BC! I would hope there is more than just competition monitoring going on by Skate Canada, which factors into their decision for assignments at Junior. Also, some teams develop more over the course of the season, and their programs have more potential for development. But based on the JGP assignments, it looks like Skate Canada did take the early results very seriously. And that is very unfortuate for teams like Paradis/Ouellette. They should have had 1 or 2 of those JGP spots. Depending on the competition, they might have done better than many of the teams that did go. Given the size issues, even though I actually really like Dalmer/Firus, there would have been no harm in leaving them home to develop and grow another season. They are really young. Same with Bruser/Lum. They all have years and years to go at Junior. I'm pretty sure that Paradis/Ouellette age out this year, on the other hand.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Dragonlady , chuckm...Aha-a-a-a..good to know...:think:

I'm not sure I'll ever have the arcane inner workings of SC entirely clear in my mind...:unsure: ... but I'm willing to try. Well , anyway.. I just keep coming back for more.:biggrin:

The one thing I can be sure of is that the dance competition will be intensely interesting at this year's Nationals at the Sr. and Jr. levels. There are more teams with promise than we can we can shake a stick at , and some are bound to just miss out here and there..There are bound to be teams that get buried in the pack at Sr.s, and take a year or 2 to work their way out. I guess this is always the case, but it seems there are more of them..and whoever wins Jr.s , as well as those who'll be ageing out, will be joining the fray. It's pretty mind boggling.:eek:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
It looks to me like P&O were hurt by their poor showing at Lake Placid. Yes they scored significantly better at the Quebec Summer Championships, but perhaps too much better than in Lake Placid to be considered as realistic. LP, being an international event, would carry more weight with the federation than Quebec.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
I was quite surprised Paradis/Ouellette didn't make the JGP. Judging from previous Jr. Nationals, I feel they are more mature and polished than other junior teams. But I have no problem with SC's decision, other teams have earned their spots on the JGP with better prepaired earlier in the season afterall.
If Paradis/Ouellette win Jr. Nationals, they can still go the Jr. Worlds, right? How old are they now?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Paradis turned 19 in July, so is Junior eligible for this season. Ouellette is 19.

Also aging out of juniors after this season: Orford/Williams, Fournier Beaudry/Breton and Poulin/Servant.