All Things Canadian Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

All Things Canadian Ice Dance

P/I 's fall was at about 20 seconds before the end of their program. Alexandra stumbled doing a turn I think, and didn't do anything after that except get up and skate to the ending pose. It was too bad. I really don't like the slow Rhumba music that many skaters are using this season.

fan1961

Rinkside
:) here are the results for Octoberfest FD..( Gilles and Poirier seem determined to make things interesting )

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Octoberfest 2011/sfdrs.html

and the details..

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Octoberfest 2011/sfdde.pdf

..."make things interesting"???.. I would say so.... it was an amazing competition debut for these two... well done.. a world class performance for sure!!!.... the crowd went wild.... they put the "awe" into the a-we-dience...

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
:eek:91?:eek:Level 4's?:eek: Whoa.

P/I had first competition jitters, I think. A fall, and a few bobbles here and there. Something was off in the step sequence. What they have over anyone else this weekend is quiet feet, beautiful unison, gorgeous dancing. I really hope they have a good weekend at Skate America. There is just a ton of potential there.

G/P had a very strong debut. It was fast. It was full of energy. Lots of colour. Very innovative in a Christopher Dean sort of way. I think the program really suits them. I don't know enough about Piper, except that she is very experienced in ice dance, but Paul has also been a singles skater for years. The program lends itself well to those sorts of skills. As Doris said in the Summer Competitions thread, it was probably a smart move. It will be very different than V/M, W/P, and I/P. Personally, I didn't see a lot of dancing. I almost think it is better as a show program than a competition program. Very entertaining, but I wouldn't call it dancing. A whole bunch of tricks put together with some interesting choreography. There were not a lot of dance holds, not a lot of line, etc. They received big scores in a home competition, but I personally think they were overscored. And it will be very interesting to see how this develops over the course of the season, and what their SD is going to look like. I think that will be a better judge of how they are really doing as a new team. And then how this program is scored in comparison with V/M, W/P, and I/P. Those teams all have incredible lines, soft knees, great posture, deep edges, and quiet skating. This program doesn't rely on those things, and likely wise considering how new this team is. Those skills often take years to develop and perfect as a team. It's really going to be like comparing apples and oranges.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Again, a good strategy. If you're headed to a fruit contest, if you can't be an apple, you'd be better off as an orange. ;)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I'm curious as to how G&P scored 13+ for transitions since the score is supposed to be out of a possible 10.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:rolleye: Dragonlady... Yes, well..Hmmmm...

Here's the thing..I haven't seen their skate , but still, is it rational and reasonable to believe that such a new team could score within 10 points of V/M , or for that matter , practically equal the score of the Shibs ? Unless they're amazingly better than the sum of their parts..it strains credulity. Here are the detailed results from Finlandia..( which is known to have a very tough panel ) :

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1112/FT2011/SEG006.HTM

I think I need a few grains of salt...

NorthernDancers has always seemed, to me, to be very fair in giving reports , not unduly swayed by personal preferences.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Pogue.. I wondered if there was something like that involved , but I wasn't quite sure where, or when , the factoring came in....and I wasn't aware we posted scores differently.

I know judging panels can't really be compared , but even allowing for individuality ( and remembering that many people were worried when V/M's marks seemed low at Finlandia ) , my eyebrows have been raised since G/P's marks were posted.

I'm looking forward to seeing G/P. I think they make a nice looking couple, and I know that ,come nationals, they will be there to compete. As will R/H and perhaps? Vanessa with a new partner. ( I'm kind of crossing my fingers for that because the more the merrier , as far as I'm concerned.)

Maybe G/P will blow me away when I see them, but I can't help but remember the terrific hype that went on last year for C/P ... which didn't help them when the crunch came at world's. Then there were cries about how cruelly they were dumped, instead of recognition that they hadn't kept pace with the progress other teams were making. Inflated scores make me worry about a repeat scenario.

If P/I have not suffered too big a setback as a result of her recent injury , I would expect them to be able to hang on to 3rd, because they are such well rounded skaters, and have another year under their belts of growing together as a team. We'll begin to have a better idea after SA.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. I too wonder if the hype surrounding Lane et al is affecting the results just a tad.

2. Here's the thing, though - V/M weren't perfect at Finlandia. They had errors in both programs and issues with levels (as well as a lift deduction). Additionally, one thing we tend to forget is that there's a peak score and V/M are rapidly approaching it. They have the highest unfactored/absolute PCS ever (their Worlds 2010 FD scored something like 96%). Getting high levels is about 40% of the battle - G/P actually beat V/M on base value by two points. Their PCS were in line with what Chock/Bates got, and they were 6.5 points ahead in BV.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just find it hard to believe that Gilles has progressed that much in such a short time. Frankly, I found it :confused: when Poirier teamed up with her.

There isn't anything more recent on line (outside of IN coverage of regionals/sectionals/nationals), but this gives you the idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqk7Xppv6Q

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When G/P get scores that high from ISU judges, then I will believe it! As it is, bring on the salt.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
When G/P get scores that high from ISU judges, then I will believe it! As it is, bring on the salt.

Yes, international panels are a lot less generous than the judges at club comps. While Oktoberfest is not technically a club comp, it is a COS comp which would put it a couple of rungs below even a B international.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I just find it hard to believe that Gilles has progressed that much in such a short time. Frankly, I found it :confused: when Poirier teamed up with her.

There isn't anything more recent on line (outside of IN coverage of regionals/sectionals/nationals), but this gives you the idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqk7Xppv6Q

Like chuckm said, I'm going to take this result with a grain of salt, and I hope the top two teams at that competition do, too. I haven't seen anything of Gilles/Poirier, so I'd have to believe that Kreingkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt are better.

lcd

Match Penalty
Seems reasonable to reserve judgment until programs have been seen BUT these are both experienced competitors so I'm not sure that I necessarily expect every "new" team to have that many issues with skating together. I agree the teams with very long partnerships have an advantage, but some teams can click very quickly.

I thought the detailed scores from the referee judge were actually the ones closest to ones which I can see agreeing with. PCS in the mid to high 6 range, not 8 to 8.5 of some of the judges. Hoping to see the programs. I personally enjoy Christopher Dean's choreography. Whether anyone else other than he and Jayne look really wonderful doing it, is a harder question to answer.

veravina

Rinkside
Is there a site that provides transcripts of interviews? My internet service is too slow for downloading videos and I miss out on a lot.
veravina