Lysacek not ready to commit to Skate America - Eyes 2014 Olympics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lysacek not ready to commit to Skate America - Eyes 2014 Olympics

herios

Medalist
I am part of Skatefans group and there a poster has raised an issue which nobody mentions here. The cash flow received from the main sponsors is usually coming to the "active" skaters , those who are percieved as the headliners for the big events such as Worlds or Olympics.
Keeping his name in the attention of the media will keep his sponsors lined up, while if Evan would be skating only in pro shows going forward, he would be soon forgotten and the cashflow would dry up.
He might not know exactly what to do next at this moment and he thinks he can still put on his skates and come back with decent results so he will be part of the pool in contention, so his sponsors could renew his contracts for sometime.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think Evan stays in for the same reason many skaters stay in: they love to compete. There's nothing mysterious about it. What else in life can give the adrenaline rush of getting out there in the field of competition? There are many basketball, football (American and world style), and hockey players who feel the same way. Why are they still there? Well, many of them would say, "Where else would I be?"

Surely that must be part of the reasons to taste the sensation of the excitement of competing again. Nothing wrong with it. But as liking to plan strategically as Evan and Carroll do, one cannot help but think that there must be something more important behind it than just adrenaline rush. If Evan could overcome himself and have a quad or two putting into his every competition he enters in, I'd say that would be a step forward and a worthy effort to compete again, not for a medal, but for a better self. I'd applaud for him for such an effort.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Actually, if they're easier to get, it's not to Lysacek's benefit, because footwork was an area where he usually did well, even getting level 4s on occasion. More skaters getting high levels = he can't differentiate himself based on that area of his skating. And again, there are now only two step sequences with levels between the two programs, compared with 4 in 2010. There doesn't appear to be that much variance in scores on the choreo steps in the LP - most skaters get between +1 and +2, a few people will get maybe 2.5 or so, and negative GOEs are almost impossible to achieve. :biggrin:

You now have a lot of skaters who came up with CoP and are able to make the most from the non-jump elements, so they have push it with the jump content if they want to separate themselves from the pack. I can't see Evan doing that; he will have to bank on his consistency and hope that others make mistakes - multiple mistakes, in some cases - if he wants to be competitive.

Yes- I did not think of people going for both quads and level 4 step sequences. That may be more common now with it easier to get level 4.

I am part of Skatefans group and there a poster has raised an issue which nobody mentions here. The cash flow received from the main sponsors is usually coming to the "active" skaters , those who are percieved as the headliners for the big events such as Worlds or Olympics.
Keeping his name in the attention of the media will keep his sponsors lined up, while if Evan would be skating only in pro shows going forward, he would be soon forgotten and the cashflow would dry up.
He might not know exactly what to do next at this moment and he thinks he can still put on his skates and come back with decent results so he will be part of the pool in contention, so his sponsors could renew his contracts for sometime.

Oh yeah- he can't afford to have his income dry up so staying may be totally necessary if he hasn't saved from the past 4 years.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brandon Mroz is the male equivalent of Rachael Flatt. Good jumper who skates slow and is boring with weak skating skills. Let's just hope the younger guys get their jumps down and they will pass up Mroz.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Between Mroz and Evan leading the USA team, I would choose Abott or Armin to lead.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'd like Abbott and Lysacek to represent US. I think these two are still the best so far. I've had high hopes for Mroz a couple of years ago. But he's been disappointing ever since. Never liked Armin. Rippon is not improving. Don't really get into Dornbush and Miner just yet.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I'm not an Abbott fan. I've seen him live a number of times and only once have I seen him skate well. The rest of the times he's fallen, or skated in a lackluster manner. The one time he did skate very well (Skate Canada 2009), he still looked scared to death and he lacked any command of the ice at all. I thought that Takahashi should have won even though Abbott landed two quads (SP and LP) and Daisuke didn't even attempt one. Even an injured Chan, who skated well below his potential, had more life in his program than Abbott.

Where skaters like Takahashi, Chan and Kozuka make the very difficult look easy, Abbott makes the difficult look difficult. At least Evan can come out and skate with confidence and command the ice. Unless and until Abbott can do the same, he'll be forever mired amongst the second tier skaters.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I thought that Takahashi should have won even though Abbott landed two quads (SP and LP) and Daisuke didn't even attempt one.

Abbott has had a quad in SP?!:confused: I thought he's never had any quad in SP. In the height of his career, he had only one quad, two 3As in LP in his programs. 3-3, 3A, and 3Lz in SP. That was hard enough already. Or I was wrong?!:think:

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Abbott has had a quad in SP?!:confused: I thought he's never had any quad in SP. In the height of his career, he had only one quad, two 3As in LP in his programs. 3-3, 3A, and 3Lz in SP. That was hard enough already. Or I was wrong?!:think:

I double checked and you're right. Abbott landed the quad in the LP but did a 3F/3T, 3A and 3L in the SP. My apologies.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I double checked and you're right. Abbott landed the quad in the LP but did a 3F/3T, 3A and 3L in the SP. My apologies.

:) Abbott is not young. Even though he's expressed desire to stick around until Sochi, I don't know if he is still able to have a clean quad in LP without a fall this year. But still, I don't see any clear figure who would pass him IF Abbott wouldn't falter like how he did last year at Nationals.

True that occasionally, he'd bring his off ice goof onto the ice, like his exhibition number after his first National title win in 2009, and his LP at Nationals in 2011. They were unbelievable! I'd hope that kind of jokes won't happen too often.:p

Last edited:

silverpond

On the Ice

Good point! It makes sense that corporate sponsors would renew the contracts of skaters who are still competing - or training to continue to compete - in major eligible competitions. As you wrorte, Lysacek may not have firm plans to train/complete through 2014, but he is proceeding with laying the groundwork to train/compete through the next Olympics.

Other posters have commented on the "age factor" between Lysacek and Pluskenko, who will be approaching "middle age" by 2014, as far as competitive figure skating is concerned. Assuming they take care of themselves, and I'm sure all of us expect this to be the case - working with their coaches and trainers should help to ensure they remain injury free and pace themselves appropriately through 2014.

Good luck, Evan! Go for it.