Favorite Rachmaninoff performances on ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Rachmaninoff performances on ice

Vash01

Medalist
Wow so many fans of Rachmaninoff like me! I love his music so much!

1. Chen Lu/ Jeff Buttle
2. Michelle Kwan
3. G&G
4. D&M

Who's D&M?

There are so many great skates to Rachmaninoff, but when it comes to his second symphony, the first skater(s) I think of are: Mishkutenok-Dmitriev. They captured the power of that music like no one else. JMO.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Who's D&M?

There are so many great skates to Rachmaninoff, but when it comes to his second symphony, the first skater(s) I think of are: Mishkutenok-Dmitriev. They captured the power of that music like no one else. JMO.

I'm guessing D&M is referring to Mishkutenok and Dmitriev

miki88

Medalist
Just rewatched Lulu and MK's Rach programs. I prefer MK's SP a little more, although both are amazing. :)

It was a delight to watch. What a shame she had a such short-lived skating career. I was hoping she could make a comeback as a pair skater, but for a reason unbeknown to me, she just simply disappeared from the scene.

Wasn't she wonderful? I think she left pairs also because of injury. But good for her for giving it another try. I loved seeing her return and was also saddened to see her leave the sport again. Nam remains a bright spot in American skating history for me.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I am not a skater, so don't laugh at my stupid questions:

1. Was John Nicks somewhat responsible for Naomi Nari Nam's hip injury? Was her injury due to his failure to ensure proper techniques, warm-up, and so on?
2. Was Sasha Cohen's jump inconsistency that haunted her career also a legacy of his teaching?
3. Did the poor technique plus her all-out speed leading to a jump cause Naomi's injury, whereas Sasha, despite her poor technique, was saved from it by keeping a more reserved speed?

genki

On the Ice
Thanks for your choices and the link, but could you please refer to Mishkutenok-Dmitriev as M&D and not D&M? The woman's name comes first in a pair or ice dance team, then the man's.

Sorry for my mistake, I guess I was in hurry or something.

BTW, does any body know what happened to Naomi Nari Nam? Why did she have to disappear completely?

When I looked for links to Naomi, it said that she's married and has a little boy born just this year. I don't know anything about her husband. The Wiki article said that she speaks fluent Korean and during her career had advertising endorsements over there. Now that skating is so big in Korea, thanks to YuNa, maybe Naomi can have some involvement there. Just a hopeful guess on my part.

Okay, here's a link from a skating magazine. Apparently Nam teaches at East-West, the Kwan family's rink. Her husband is a fitness trainer.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/542-baby-steps-for-naomi-nari-nam

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Sorry for my mistake, I guess I was in hurry or something.

BTW, does any body know what happened to Naomi Nari Nam? Why did she have to disappear completely?

Naomi seemed to have potential as a pairs skater at the national level, but she had injury problems and it think it finally forced her to retire from competitions.