Angela Nikodinov: Looking Back | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Angela Nikodinov: Looking Back

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Delightful to hear, Doris! Thanks for the update.

Dinev is also Bulgarian; I think he actually skated for Bulgaria, didn't he? Did pretty well, too. (I have Bulgarian friends, so I always notice this. I'll have to pass this news on to them.) I bet she's fluent, so they can talk in and out of both their languages.

yes if you click on the last link there's also a bio of Dinev (he's the pic next to angela's) and yes I do believe she knows the language.

Thanks, Tonichelle...I read too fast on the first go-round. I realized on a reread that she is fluent. (I went back and edited my original post.) It's a lovely language, close to Russian but not exactly the same. The alphabet's also a bit different--Bulgarians insist that they're the ones that came up with it first. I think that's where St. Cyril, founder of the Cyrillic alphabet, came from originally.

Vash01

Medalist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints...tion_of_the_Glagolitic_and_Cyrillic_alphabets

Cyrillic alphabets (I love the stuff I learn on GS to keep up with conversations!)

I studied cyrillic alphabet when I started studying Russian. Didn't get very far but I love the language. I don't find it difficult at all, but just don't have the time to put in to it. So all I have retained from those years is the ability to read cyrillic alphabet, and that comes in handy on the FS chat boards.

I beg to differ. I'm very very dull.

:laugh:

No one who loves mushing and Kurt Browning can be dull!

So there.

Those of you who are experts on skating technique, how did Angela's stroking and edging hold up against other splendid skaters such as Yuka Sato, Janet Lynn, and Michelle? I get the impression she was (is) pretty good in those areas.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I loved her skating and I think what held her back for so long was the choreography Oppergard gave her. It didn't match her skating style. I generally think his work is cool and edgy (I loved Michelle's program by him in the GPF one year) but I don't think it resonates well with a conservative judging panel. Especially when the skater, like Angela, does not have the body movement to compliment modern classical music selections. (I don't know if Sasha ever worked with Peter but I would loved to have seen something they did together.) When Angela went to Elena, I don't think Angela changed much as a skater; however, her results improved IMO because her programs suited her style much better.

periperi

On the Ice
Nice to hear Angela's still coaching. Thanks for the update!

Those of you who are experts on skating technique, how did Angela's stroking and edging hold up against other splendid skaters such as Yuka Sato, Janet Lynn, and Michelle? I get the impression she was (is) pretty good in those areas.

I'm still learning, but I've heard Angela's deep edging praised a lot. Her edging always gives me a bit of a Michelle vibe because of how... don't know how to explain it... 'rock solid' they were, I guess. In comparison, Yuka's edges seem to float across the ice and have a softer feel to them (the edging quality of Takahiko and Shizuka also fit that description, imo).

Vash01

Medalist
Angela's main weakness was nerves and/or lack of stamina. She had the technique, the artistry, but with the exception of the 2001 US nationals she could not deliver two solid performances in a competition and lost the 3rd Olympic spot to Sarah Hughes. In 2001 USN I felt she should have placed higher than Sarah, for her mature, technically perfect (except for one step out of a jump toward the end of her LP) skate. The judges went for Sarah's UR 3-3 combination.

Nerds aren't dull! (I should know; I'm a nerd myself and have many nerd friends.) Hold your head high. We sparkle!

silverpond

On the Ice
Angela was NOT fat. She had the fit body of an adult woman. She was no teeny swizzel stick. She had a powerful frame and an entirely different body type from what is most common among female skaters today. She was squarely in the mold of other female skaters like Joanne Rochette, Slutskaya, Ito, Debbi Thomas, Liz Manly etc. Not thin and lithe, but built more like a gymnast.

As for personality, she was shy and reserved and lacked a clear point of view early in her career. After teaming with Elena, she blossomed into a mature woman with a defined sense of elegance and grace. Was she over the top with unnecessary dramatics? No, but that's what made her special.

I definitely agree with your assessment on Angela. She was NOT fat, but strong and athletic. Her body was similar to Dorothy Hamill, who had a "strong, trim build", according to the sports writeups of her era. She always looked lovely, IMHO. And quite frankly, I prefer a more athletic build to a thin-as-a-rail build for an athlete - and figure skaters are athletes, aren't they?

Yes, Angela was a somewhat reserved person, and she did not project much to the audience when she was an eligible skater. Perhaps she was concentrating so much on completing the elements that she did not place much emphasis on reaching out to the audience. Personally, if I was competing with a multiple triple jump program, I would definitely put the emphasis on executing the elements, and less emphasis on making a show of the routine.

Just my two cents, of course. :)