Janet Lynn | Golden Skate

Janet Lynn

silverpond

On the Ice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Lynn

Here's a "wiki" write-up on five-time US champion Janet Lynn, and 1972 Olympic bronze medalist. Janet was probably the best figure skater to never win a World or Olympic title, thanks to the fact that she competed in the era where compulsory school figures, which were not her strong point, were part of the competition.

I'm sure many of you remember seeing Janet compete, either on television or live, and/or watched her professional and exhibition performances.

I had the privilege to attend one of the World Professional Championships in which Janet won the title. She was amazing! Her skating just seemed to flow, from one beautiful spin to a gorgeous jump, to a lovely spiral. And she always wore a smile as she skated and really reached to the audience. She made everything look so easy, so natural.

Janet became a big star in Japan when she won the bronze medal in Sapporo. From what I've read, the Japanese were stunned and charmed that Janet bounced up from her fall on her sit spin in the long program, continued to smile broadly, and finished her program strongly. When she returned to Japan for the 1973 World Pro Championships, Hinada Airport was a mob scene, with legions of fans straining to see and/or touch her.

The 1998 Nagano Olympic pre-event television coverage included a really lovely piece on Janet, which of course included her "fall" in Sapparo and her bronze medal win. She said (sic), "There's always a bit a grief when you don't win, but the purpose of my skating was never to win medals. The purpose of my skating was to show God's love to the audience."

The Japanese people still loved Janet Lynn, and she was an honored guest at a reception for the Japanese Olympic team, during which she was presented with gifts and plenty of applause. Many young children approached her, and she hugged all of them. She went onto the ice and waved to the cheering crowds. By that time Janet was in her mid-40s and not in skating condition; still, she looked so happy to be on the ice again.

OK, I'll stop gushing. :biggrin: IMHO, Janet Lynn was one of a kind.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't know much about Janet Lynn until fairly recently. But through YouTube, I have become a huge fan. No one skates like she does, with the flow, freedom and, most of all, joy. She was so ahead of her time, too. She did a triple salchow (albeit imperfectly landed) at the 1968 Olympics at age 14! And she landed a triple toe at the 1969 Nationals. I'm sure she would have had all of her triples if she were skating in the modern era, where figures are not required. My favorite of all of Janet's performances I have seen is her 1972 Olympic free skate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0HbRQk0oFs&list=FLT2IFgeponCwsOmaGDVXmoQ&index=15
She also skated this program perfectly at the 1972 Nationals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAx6VeScsg&feature=related
but there is something about that Olympic performance....Maybe it's her smile or the way she bowed to the audience at the end. Whatever it is, I can see why she became a rock star in Japan.

ETA: Here is another favorite. This is her last public performance, to her signature music, Afternoon of a Faun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvElljzi7rE

Last edited:
I became a skating fan a bit too late to watch Janet as an amateur, though I got to see her do pro competitions. She was indeed wonderful. Interestingly, one of the modern skaters who reminded a lot of people of Janet is a Japanese skater, Yuka Sato. Her stroking and edge work, her lightness over the ice, and her radiant smile are reminiscent of Janet. Once Yuka skated to "Afternoon of a Faun" at the Landover Pro competition. She had prepared the program not realizing that Janet was to be a judge there, and according to the announcers, she expressed worry that Janet might take offense. But Janet was obviously pleased, and who couldn't be, with someone as wonderful as Yuka making the attempt.

Probably the other modern skater who has the strongest connection with Janet Lynn is Michelle Kwan. It's no coincidence that three of my favorite skaters ever are Janet, Yuka, and Michelle. I'm sure I'm not alone. I remember years ago (before Yuka and Michelle), I once read a book of Toller Cranston's, and he cited two ladies as his favorite modern skaters: Laurence Owen and Janet Lynn. That was what first made me seek her out.

Now with YouTube, one can see as much of Janet as one's heart desires. She is one of the forever great ones, golds or no golds. I'd say she forms one of the pillars of modern skating, with her combination of athleticism and artistry--along with John Curry and Toller Cranston, and maybe Peggy Fleming as well.

Last edited:

Binthere

On the Ice
What a lovely entry. Enjoyed the links so much. She and Dorothy were my idols growing up as a skater.

I agree that both Yuka and Michelle are her "descendants" so to speak amongst the generations of laters that came after her. Also agree that it is a shame we would know Laurence Owen's potential to have been her full career as a predescesor

silverpond

On the Ice
Olympia - I agree with you completely in your comparison of Janet Lynn and Yuka Sato. Both women skated with such joy, precision, great technique, and ease of flow. It would have been incredible if they had both been competing during the same years - what a great rivalry that could have been!

lcd

Match Penalty
There was a much less heralded skater, who probably not ironically but rather decidedly hailed from the same home town club as Janet, whose skating actually reminded me a great deal of Janet's. That would be Sandy Lenz.

Sandy's style of programs was not classic and ethereal like Janet, but the smooth as butter stroking and jump landings, and her equally divine lay back spin positions, always made me think of her as an under appreciated descendant skating wise.

Beyond that, amongst the most recognized, Yuka Sato. Absolutely.

skatesindreams

Rinkside
"The 1998 Nagano Olympic pre-event television coverage included a really lovely piece on Janet, which of course included her "fall" in Sapparo and her bronze medal win. She said (sic), "There's always a bit a grief when you don't win, but the purpose of my skating was never to win medals. The purpose of my skating was to show God's love to the audience."

Here is that feature from 1998. The whole of it is special:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ZNDfgBmQk

Thanks for the topic; and for sharing your impressions.