Miki Ando musings | Golden Skate

Miki Ando musings

krenseby

Final Flight
Answer: Maybe marriage and children.

Well she did say she was thinking about her career as a skater, she didn't mention anything about marrying and starting a family. Besides, I am not sure we should be discussing Miki's romantic life.

Well she did say she was thinking about her career as a skater, she didn't mention anything about marrying and starting a family. Besides, I am not sure we should be discussing Miki's romantic life.

"Thinking about my career as a skater" might mean "thinking about bringing my career as a skster to a graceful close." It might mean, "Hey, I've got two wotrld championships. How many others can make that claim? Maybe I have given the sport all I have to give. Time to pass the toil and tears on to someone else and just party, party, party! :party2:"

Hanaka

Rinkside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foSJWxxBSjo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Her black swan program is a masterpiece! One of the best I have ever seen!

I agree. I saw her two times live this year. One in DOI in June and the other in JO and COI this October. I was unexpectedly amazed by her overwhelming presence on the ice. The moment she stood on the center of the ice, you knew who and what she was. Because she had the charisma of THE WORLD CHAMPION and THE QUEEN. Really she looked much taller and bigger on the ice than her actual size off the ice. Her jumps and spins and other techniques were not at her best, but the way she performed Black Swan was mesmerizing. She put her soul into every move she did. Her presence and charisma on the ice really suited this dramatic program. Everyone was mesmerized in the Miki Ando world. A lot of people stood up for her in awe.

I also remember when she skated to a love song (the title is "Why do people fall in love again?" ) at DOI last year. She wore a lovely white costume and interpreted this music not the way she learned, but the way she felt from the bottom of her heart. She spread tender, sweet, warm and happy aura all over the arena and put people into peaceful and tender mood. It was a really beautiful skating.

And here is her exhibition encore program of Moscow Worlds: " Requiem " dedicated to victims of TSUNAMI.
What can we say? No words needed? There is her soul and spirit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BLv7xv7m6M

IMO, now she is one of the most expressive skaters and I think she can well succeed as a pro in shows, but I think it will be a big loss for us if we lose her from the competitive circuit.

Last edited:

Bartek

On the Ice
Wow, she has improved so much over the years. I remember when she was a jumping bean and everyone just talked about her quad and triple-triples. Now it's so much more. She's expressive, graceful and elegant. Her spirals also improved tremendously in terms of extension. I remember when she used a charlotte as the entrance to a triple toe in her Firebird program and it was just ridiculous. Now she has a full split in her charlotte and her arabesque spiral also improved. She used to bent her torso too much in an ugly way when she was doing her arabesque. And her spins last year were just on a different level.

christinaskater

Medalist
I agree. I saw her two times live this year. One in DOI in June and the other in JO and COI this October. I was unexpectedly amazed by her overwhelming presence on the ice. The moment she stood on the center of the ice, you knew who and what she was. Because she had the charisma of THE WORLD CHAMPION and THE QUEEN. Really she looked much taller and bigger on the ice than her actual size off the ice. Her jumps and spins and other techniques were not at her best, but the way she performed Black Swan was mesmerizing. She put her soul into every move she did. Her presence and charisma on the ice really suited this dramatic program. Everyone was mesmerized in the Miki Ando world. A lot of people stood up for her in awe.

I also remember when she skated to a love song (the title is "Why do people fall in love again?" ) at DOI last year. She wore a lovely white costume and interpreted this music not the way she learned, but the way she felt from the bottom of her heart. She spread tender, sweet, warm and happy aura all over the arena and put people into peaceful and tender mood. It was a really beautiful skating.

And here is her exhibition encore program of Moscow Worlds: " Requiem " dedicated to victims of TSUNAMI.
What can we say? No words needed? There is her soul and spirit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BLv7xv7m6M

IMO, now she is one of the most expressive skaters and I think she can well succeed as a pro in shows, but I think it will be a big loss for us if we lose her from the competitive circuit.

Gave me chills!

christinaskater

Medalist
Her career has so many ups and downs. She stole the spotlight from Shizuka before the Olympics of 2006 but that spotlight would go to another phenom named Mao Asada. Asada is truly one of the best in this generation of skaters and so is Miki! Narrowly beating Mao for the 2007 World title, Miki would live not only in the shadow of Mao, but also Yu-Na Kim. From her quads to her triple triples, to her injury while trying to defend her World title, to trying and doing everything to improve and prove that she is among the best to winning her 2nd world title for her earthquake devastated country of Japan. She is incredible and what an incredible career!

sorcerer

Final Flight
Miki won't retire...most probably.

Miki seems to have learned a lot from the JO.
It was very astonishing to see her skate so energetically a few hours later in "Carnival on Ice".
She not only skated a clean and dramatic Black Swan, but also skated a full length of "Thousand Winds" as encore, and this with very clean edges that were practically soundless!!

And a week later, today, contrary to her own words lately alluding to the possibility of "choosing between amateur and other ways of career" when this season is through, ... well what do you know, she said to a writer she met at Suzuka (F1 Grand Prix) :
"Please don't worry because I really won't retire".

I think this is her true mind ... the same positiveness that she showed in May and June saying she'll come back soon after some rest.

If she is trying to reconstruct her training circumstances this season, that would be the most wonderful for me, and probably to her many fans over here in Japan.

Last edited: