Miki Ando musings | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando musings

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, I'm glad there are others here that love Miki. I have nothing agaist Mao or any other Japanese lady skater and many have given me lots of pleasure, but no one does it like Miki. She is the "it" girl. She makes me feel.
It is interesting that Wiki says Miki and Mao are both 5' 4" tall...Miki seems taller....

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Entire post

Agreed!! I'm really sad she's not competing this season, but to think she might retire makes me really sad...

OTOTH I wish the pro circuit was more prosperous. We could be seeing Shizuka vs. Yu-na vs. Miki vs. Joannie etc.
I know this trend of not announcing retirement in order to maintain the buzz from the media to stay relevant is to stay, but I still wish things were how they were back in the 90s.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
So many excellent recommendations of Miki's programs here!

I personally love this one from 2008 GPF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2KRWFCiyKA

This has got to be one of the most gutsy yet under appreciated programs ever!!!! She had 4sal, 2a-3t, and two3lutzs in the second half! I personally prefer this to Abbott's program to the same music. Under rotation, lack of transition yada yada yada... but she f-ing rocked!!!!

Sadly since this season she has pretty much stopped trying the triple triples etc. Of course the upside was the wonderful improvements that people have mentioned here, but I still remember feeling sad seeing low scores one competition after another that season :(

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
"I had a fulfilling year in competition last season and I have begun to think about my career as a skater. I want to find the answer in my own way," she said.

Question: What exactly is she considering? Other than competing as an amateur, what other options does she have?

There are alot of skating tours in Europe and Asia. Arakawa has a huge pro career mostly in Japan. Of course there are other options other than continuing to compete. What she would be considering is obvious. Whether to continue as an amateur skater or turn professional. I think 90% likely she will do the latter. No chance she is competitive by 2014 and a surprise 2nd World title is a perfect note to go out on.

Binthere

On the Ice
I really give Miki a lot of credit for being able to come back as many times as she has, rising to the occassion so many times after having so many other competitive struggles.
Her win at worlds was well deserved and remarkable as an accomplishment given all the hopes that she was carrying on her shoulders.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Her career has so many ups and downs. She stole the spotlight from Shizuka before the Olympics of 2006

I am sorry but I have no idea where you get this idea. She never established herself as the top Japanese skater in the 2004-2006 period which was always Suguri or Arakawa. Furthermore the 05-06 season was her worst one to date. She had much better success in 03-04 and 04-05. She finished 4th at the GP final behind Nakano, and 6th at her own Nationals, and was a very controversial selection to the team after losing twice to Nakano and placing so low at Nationals, while she was not even picked for the World Championship team. She was not stealing the spotlight from anyone heading into Turin.

christinaskater

Medalist
I am sorry as well, just wrote the wrong word. What is was trying to say was she was already making a name for herself and was getting a huge hype for landing the quadruple salchow especially in Japan.

Shizuka and Fumie were the top ladies I agree during that period. Shizuka was amazing during the 2004 season.

Miki was already rising coming from a World Junior title. She was the Japanese National champion for 2004/2005 Japanese Nationals beating Arakawa! So she was becoming one of the rising darlings of the sport. In reality, she has always been underrated after the hype with the quadruple salchow. She was 6th in the Nationals and was chosen to go the Olympic games.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
What I would like to point out is that the majority of her fans in Japan think that Miki has yet to show her very best game in competition at least once, that she hasn't yet shown her skate of her life, that she has just found in the past season her whole new possibility she can develop in her skating.

Miki, in May, aside from saying that she wants to grow as a competitor on her skating side, she even showed much eagernes as to her jumps as well, in plural interviews and in her new supplement to her book.
She said on the Russian radio interview that she wishes to try another quad in competition, and in her book that she is practicing 3lz-3lo-3lo in training as a mean to reestablish her 3-3. She also said on the radio "Why not?" as to challenging for the third or even fourth title, and she even said she will aim for the gold in Sochi.

Something in summer that we don't know hindered for a few months her motivation to compete.

But now her motivation seems to be recovering, as I posted above.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just watched the linked 2008-9 GPfinal performance. In the kiss and cry, sometimes I think it is odd how skaters kind of ignore their coaches....anyway, I was reading a linked interview from Wiki to a Russian interview with Miki where she says about this time of this performance, she was getting pressure from the Japanese Fed to leave Mr. M.
You kinda have to fight through the translation but it is interesting....from Jan 2011....sorry if this was covered already....
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/13556/

Ando:
"During the World Cup was crying every day"
Вчера. Москва. "Мегаспорт". Мики АНДО.
REUTERS
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

In Moscow, the Japanese Trust Russian coach Nikolai Morozov won this season, second time in late November, Ando won the Russian stage of "Grand Prix" on the same ice wins second title of world champion. If we recall that two years ago, the Moscow stage of the "Grand Prix" remained behind Japanese woman, is to ascertain: in the Russian capital skater implicitly carries.

- Mickey, it's true that you are going to take a year off, and maybe even end up with an amateur sport?

- Now I is not sure. First want to miss a year after the Games in Vancouver. But after the Olympics ended, I changed my mind. Nicholas (Morozov. - Approx. EV ) convinced me that it is not quite reasonable and not very fair for the Japanese fans since the World Cup 2011, as you know, was planned in Tokyo.

- Why did this idea came - to miss the season?

- Just tired. Began to feel that in my life as a lot of skating. Dulled sense of freshness. And I thought that the break will allow me to rest and re-taste to the training and presentations.

- You already won the world championship - in 2007. Can you compare that victory and the present?

- Now it was more difficult. In 2007 I was injured right before the competition and two weeks in general could not skate. Accordingly, not building any plans to fight for the medals. The victory was a complete surprise.

This season, I knew that I could be on the podium. That was the goal, which forced me to work hard in training. But psychologically, this work was given to me at the cost of great efforts.

- Beginning in the fall you have won all the competitions, which involved, besides the final "Grand Prix". And saying that, for the World Cup thinking "just about medals," and not about the gold?

- In general, I honestly do not like to think about medals. Matters is how well I manage to skate their programs. Quality. When I know what to do in competitions all that was capable of, it does not matter to me what kind of place with the set of the judge. No matter how much I scored points for the rental. Feel inner satisfaction from the quality performances much more enjoyable than winning medals just by coincidence.

Now for me it is particularly important to me pride in Japan. Because our country is now on hard times. Many died, many people still have not found their loved ones. The only thing we can do for his countrymen - to give them a reason to be happy for us and be proud of us. I think the same thing you would say any player from the Japanese team. This means much more than a gold medal.

- You are very unusual look on the Moscow ice. As if experiencing strong emotions, but not very happy with it.

- In general, the competition is not very easy to look happy, or at least smile. All are nervous, constantly focused on his speeches. Yes, I tried not to smile. This is a purely personal, but I'm worried about a very difficult period. Can you admit that throughout the week that followed the championship, I cried every day. Perhaps some part of this state passed in my presentation. Although I did not want it.

- Your victory is something in this regard has changed? In other words, are you going to continue to cry and then?

- I hope not.

- You are a champion, but the execution of arbitrary programs when it was not the best. Why?

- Too tired. Of the total. From work, from personal experience. But showed a maximum, which is now capable of. It's nice that made any gross errors. At such competitions as the World Cup is very important.

- Failure to address Una Kim greatly surprised you?

- It may sound strange, but I do not pay attention to how other athletes ride. And Yong Kim as well. It is not my business. Especially do not think it right to judge what, who and how to skate. I think that figure skating in general is poorly than "worse" or "better." At this level, as the world championship, each skater is something that he does so, as others can not. We are all different, just as there are different people, countries, languages ​​and traditions.

- Your coach for some time now a permanent presence in Russia. How hard for you to spend so much time in a foreign country?

- It's hard. I like it here, but I do not speak in Russian. Constantly be around people who speak a language incomprehensible to you - a great challenge. I have already experienced a similar period in my life when I started to train with Morozov in America. In English I did not understand a word. Nicholas first thing made me learn the language. Much later I realized how right he was. Because along with new words, I acquired new friends, learning new things for myself, to discover a new culture.

Now, I also try as soon as possible to learn the language. I try to talk, I try to listen carefully to what they say and how people around me.

- How many years have you been exercising at Morozov?

- Five.

- So, remember the days when your group ride Daisuke Takahashi, and then - Nobunari Oda ... Perhaps you have been psychologically more comfortable when there was someone to talk to in Japanese?

- The funny thing is that we are now talking more with them in English. And Takahiko Kodzukoy - too.

- Why?

- I do not know. But it's true. I noticed that in their native language now speak only in demonstration performances in Japan. Well, when I come back or for some other cases.

- Returning to the theme with which we started: you still intend to take a break in the speeches?

- It is safe to say that try to ride up to the Olympic Games in Sochi. In the sense that if they take leave, not for long. And be sure to come back. And then I'll have to think about what to do in life. Teach young children to work in a particular area, or go to trade shows.

- If you arrive in Sochi, it will be the third Olympics your. What can you say about the first two? It was a special experience?

- About Turin can say little. I was 19 years old and I have not understood very well what was happening. Just trying to see as much as possible, enjoyed every minute and really proud that I - uchastitsa Olympics. In Vancouver, it was different. I tried to skate well, as in any other competitions. And it is not seen by the way, the big difference between games and some other tournament. Ranked fifth. Well, then, the fifth ...

- When you speak, it's hard to say that interesting - look at you, or how is experiencing, and jumping to the beat of your jump Morozov. Do you have time for you to ride in the process of paying attention to the coach, standing at the side? Can you hear it?

- I can say one thing to me is very important to know that Nicholas stands at the side. If it is for some reason, there will probably never be able to skate. I'm not trying to see what it was during my rental makes a coach, but I know he was there. Nicholas has an amazing energy. I can feel it. And become stronger and more confident myself.

And I trust him completely. As a coach, as a person. I was pleased to hear from him that he, too, absolutely trust me when I'm on the ice.

- For you, a problem that the relationship with the Japanese Federation of Morozov's figure skating is waning?

- No. It's not my business.

- But I heard that the leadership of the federation was trying to convince you of the need to change the coach.

- Such has been. I suddenly began to say that Nicholas - a bad coach, bad choreography, that my working with him - big mistake.

- When was this?

- Shortly before the World Cup 2009 in Los Angeles. In general, I honestly do not understand what's happening. Because two years before I actually did not have any contacts with the national federation. I'm not interested in them when she won in 2007, and then, when because of injury appeared to the world championship in Gothenburg. Nobody came to my training, no one was interested, if I need some help. Therefore, before Los Angeles, I was in a kind of shocked by the fact that I was suddenly hit by a note from management.

- From the many skaters I have heard repeatedly that Morozov - a special coach.

- It's true.

- What is the meaning you attach to the concept of "special"? And what you think is the most valuable of the things he taught you?

- Nicholas gave me a big heart. In order to love figure skating, in order to fight. In order to understand why I skate. It is very difficult to explain in words. A similar feeling I had except at the very beginning when I first started skating. It so happened that led me to the rink friends. Mom was not up to it, his father died when I was eight years old. And the first coach was able to do so that I felt happy, cuz. Next to Nicholas I also feel happy.

Elena VAYTSEHOVSKAYA

// 01.05.2011

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In what language did Miki. and Daisuke for tha matter, and Morozov communicate in before she learned English? Did he speak Japanese?

sorcerer

Final Flight
Broken English, well that ... including Nikolai.

Miki had a translater when she was with Carol H Jenkins, but not with Nikolai from the start.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
In what language did Miki. and Daisuke for tha matter, and Morozov communicate in before she learned English? Did he speak Japanese?
You have to keep in mind that the article came from madam Vaitsekhovskaya, who is widely known in the Russian press for making things up and the tendency to soft yellow.
Probably Miki said that when Nikolai was on the ice they all spoke in English- she, he, Dai, etc. But I seriously doubt that when Miki, Dai, Oda were with each other without gaijins around, they spoke English to each other and not Japanese.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20110518it.html
http://en.nikolaymorozov.ru/publ/2011/article/2011_05_18/18-1-0-7
In a meeting with the Foreign Sportswriters Association of Japan last year in Tokyo, shortly before the Vancouver Olympics, Morozov revealed the untold tale.

"After the Turin Olympics, the Japan Skating Federation came to me with Miki and Mao and basically told me I could choose which one I wanted to coach," Morozov stated. "I chose Miki because it would be much harder.

"Mao would have been easy," he said. "She works hard, is very talented, flexible."

As a young coach, Morozov felt he wanted to take on the bigger challenge.

"Miki is stubborn," he noted. "It is hard to get her to practice, but she is good in competitions. That is what is important.

"People often talk about how hard Mao practices, but in the final analysis it is about winning."

After retiring as an ice dancer, Morozov worked for a time with legendary Russian coach Tatiana Tarasova, then branched out on his own.

"I came into coaching by accident," he said. "I had not planned to be a coach. It just happened. I started doing it and found I enjoyed it."

One can only wonder what would have happened on that day in 2006 when Morozov told the JSF he would coach Ando, if he had made a different decision.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I just watched the linked 2008-9 GPfinal performance. In the kiss and cry, sometimes I think it is odd how skaters kind of ignore their coaches....anyway, I was reading a linked interview from Wiki to a Russian interview with Miki where she says about this time of this performance, she was getting pressure from the Japanese Fed to leave Mr. M.
You kinda have to fight through the translation but it is interesting....from Jan 2011....sorry if this was covered already....
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/13556/

If anyone's interested, here's my translation of the article CoyoteChris mentioned.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...nce-emotional-struggles-amp-being-a-foreigner

sorcerer

Final Flight
I love Hikki's translation for this.
Though Mme Vaitsekhovskaya may not be a genuine "journalist", what Miki replied here are in coherence with her other interviews her fans can read ... well maybe except for the JSF thing part which sounds too bold for a thing Miki would usually say.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20110518it.html
..."After the Turin Olympics, the Japan Skating Federation came to me with Miki and Mao and basically told me I could choose which one I wanted to coach," Morozov stated. "I chose Miki because it would be much harder. "Mao would have been easy," he said. "She works hard, is very talented, flexible."

Morozov, though probably with no intension, is inaccurate this. At least it's absolutely unlikely that the JSF brought the two skaters to meet Morozov at once like that.

At the time Morozov had done choreography work not only for Shizuka at the Torino Olympics but also for Joubert, Mai and Mao, and Dai. Miki especially liked his work for Dai but thought her poor showing at Torino wouldn't let her a chance to ask for his choreo.
But when Miki's manager at the time told her that she was offered to be choreographed by Morozov from his side, she was very much surprised and delighted and went to the States to be choreoed.
This was when she still had Carol H Jenkins as her main coach for the coming 06/07 season.

But soon Morozov told Miki that though he respects Carol as a good coach, he might not agree with her coaching policy, so he proposes to be Miki's main coach as well, and that it was Miki's choice to decide.

These are what Miki (and her Mom) says in her book. You all know the rest of the story for that season.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Very interesting, sorcerer. When I read Mr. M's remarks, I did not take them literally. When he said they came to him with Miki and Mao, I think he was talking about an offer, not about transporting people. Still, your comments are very interesting from Miki's book.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks hikki, I was traveling when that translation thread came up in May.....very interesting. It certainly makes of more questions than answers......having the Japanese fed pull support from Miki would be like the USFSA pull support for Alissa.....but I can well believe the behind the scenes drama between Mr. M, the Russian Fed, and the Japanese Fed....I think there are two certaintys. One, Putin wants medals at Sochi, and two, Miki is tired and probably distressed....tear falls...

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Thanks sorcerer and you're welcome CoyoteChris.
sorcerer, interesting comments from Miki's book. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the alleged 'order' from JSF to leave Morozov, I'm sure Miki is telling the truth, but in the series of column by Ms Noriko Shirota (from JSF), nothing along those lines was mentioned in the article featuring Morozov. In fact Shirota had only nice things to say about him. I guess the truth remains to be a mystery.

Speaking of the column, there was a series of interview with Miki's childhood coach Ms Monna, which again had lots of interesting stuff about Miki. Anyone cares to translate? I'm going to bed hehe

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/column/shirota/news/20110914-OHT1T00214.htm