Adelina SOTNIKOVA
Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
Julia LIPNITSKAIA

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But where will she be in 2 years when she's grown 4, 5 inches? I don't get too excited by talented 13 year old's since most of them don't pan out. To many things can happen. But she doesn't skate like a normal 13 year old that's for sure. Russia has insane talent with the ladies coming up now.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree that there is something very special about this girl. She may indeed flame out, but she has a lot of great qualities that she won't lose if she grows 5 inches: her speed and general skating basics are amazing for someone at that age, she is able to spin fast and achieve very difficult positions, and she is charismatic. Her triple/triple looked very strong but, yes, the jumps can go as she gets older. Hopefully that won't happen, she is a very talented all around skater.

christinaskater

Medalist
The Russian ladies are phenomenal

Just like the American ladies to the Russian ladies to the Japanese ladies to the Russian girls now

christinaskater

Medalist
It's going to be an interesting rivalry between Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva & Julia Lipnitskaia! Each one has a unique beautiful quality.

Adeline is very Yu-Na, Miki and Mao packaged! I see Julia packaged as a Sasha Cohen. Elizaveta has some Cohen in her as well! These 3 have the star factor!

I almost started a thread on Julia L. She's phenomenal. She's a little coltish still but my goodness, her natural gifts are huge and I don't see any weaknesses. She eats up the ice. I think she has a great future.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I agree. Julia is a new prodigy of women' figure skating. I hope the growth spurt won't hit her too bad. Russian girls are the main hope for Russia to medal in singles at the Olympics.
As for me, I don't know why, but I prefer Adelina on ice. She seems so confident while skating, so elegant and strong!
I remember 1 journalist asking her why she isn't nervous at all going for her combinations and working on her 3 axel. She answered that she doesn't even think she can blow her jump - she just goes for it..Amazing skater she is)

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
Too soon to predict, does depend on their body spurts, lets hope they stay competitive, we may have lost YuNa, Miki, Mirai, Rachael and Alissa before Sochi and maybe Korpi and Lepisto (Laura through injury) but lets hope not to all cases I have mentioned:disapp:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
I still think they will do great eventhough they will go through a growth spurt. All 3 have solid skating skills, great jumping and spinning technique, and if their coaches are strict enough with them through these years, I don't believe a growth spurt will affect any of them.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I was a little worried for Julia last season, because her skating skills wasn't the best and her jumps were a bit low, especially compared to Liza's and Adelina's jumps. But what a huge improvement during the summer! She obviously worked a lot on her skating skills (thanks to Morozov, he helped a lot with that), and she jumps higher, gets more speed on the landings, her jumps look so solid and easy. But what I like the most in her is that she knows how to compete. She has that look like she knows she is the best and she is ready to show it. It's really rare quality, and I can only remember Plushenko in his best days who had it. I think fighting spirit and a good coach who knows how to help girls to keep their jumps (just look at Polina Shelepen) she will be okay.
It's funny, but with Julia, Liza and Adelina around it's almost impossible for other girls to make Junior Worlds team and to make senoir Worlds team this season looks much more realistic.

Binthere

On the Ice
What a talent. The only mystery to me, and it one that I am candidly a bit more concerned about with her, is how her body will evolve and whether it can hold up under the stress of all the incredible flexibility aspects of her skating.

In the end though, I think the winner of the Russian baby ballerina arms race will be the one who has her head screwed on. They clearly all have the technical goods. The difference in my opinion will be the one who is able to do it when it counts under ALL of that unimaginable pressure.

Vash01

Medalist
She is obviously very talented, and very young. She could either lose her talents when puberty kicks in or she could become a world champion. There have been examples of both kinds and in betweens. It's hard to predict anything at that age. It's always nice to see when a skater grows into the champion we thought he/she would become. I would love to see Julia become one of those success stories. She will have LOTs of competition in her country though. That can only help her (and her competitors) get even better. We saw this happen with the US ladies in the last couple of decades, and with the Japanese ladies and men more recently. It may be Russia's turn now.

Dragonlady

Final Flight

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
What a talent. The only mystery to me, and it one that I am candidly a bit more concerned about with her, is how her body will evolve and whether it can hold up under the stress of all the incredible flexibility aspects of her skating.

As long as her muscles are strong enough her flexibilty won't be a concern. If you look at the best rhythmic gymnasts in the world you will see this too. They are as strong as they are flexible, and that is the main clue.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yep she deserves high marks. Personally I enjoyed her SP way more than her LP but she is really an amazing talent. I cannot believe 27 people on YouTube disliked her LP video lol

miki88

Medalist
She is fabulous! I also enjoyed her SP more than her LP. Her LP is too busy and just doesn't do her skating justice in my opinion.

Vash01

Medalist
When I saw here SP score, I thought it might be generous judging but having seen the program, her score was in no way inflated. Speed, power, gorgeous jumps with height and distance, and then she started doing spins and her spins were better than her jumps! What a talent!

She is very good but I am not seeing height on her jumps. She seems to barely make the revolutions. With a growth spurt she could have some problems in that area. Other things look very good, and for a 13 year old she skates quite mature.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
IF these girls keep growing till Sochi, it will be very interesting to see which ones from the deep field of Russia will be the representatives!!
This season is a bit like the two seasons building up to Torino, when everyone knew the talents Yu-na and Mao yet the two couldn't skate in the seniors.

Off topic but I really hope Mirai steps up this 'gap' season as things will only get harder. Go Mirai!!

periperi

On the Ice
I think too much focus and blame is put on the puberty thing when it's the technique that also plays a huge part as to whether the skater makes it in seniors or not. A lot of skaters who enjoyed success as juniors but then struggled and faded away as seniors did so because of poor technique. The technically sounder you are, the more likely you are of overcoming a growth spurt, and the less likely you are of developing a serious injury at a young age.

Adelina worries me with her hammer toe and flutzing. I hope her coach fixes it soon because I don't want what happened to Mao to possibly happen to Adelina because otherwise, her skating is really quite pleasant.