Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (November 1-6, 2011) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (November 1-6, 2011)

krenseby

Final Flight
Not to mention it's a televised event where Michelle was an announcer. What was she supposed to say, "Here now is the slow, labored skating of Caroline Zhang?"

Shouldn't announcers and commentators be honest about the flaws of skaters? Sometimes before Caroline skates, some announcers will discuss her technique issues, what she is working on and trying to improve, where her skating isn't up to par or whatever. I don't think announcers and commentators are supposed to just compliment the skaters and be positive. Some are, others aren't. I remember the Skate America competition where Elena Sokolova was competing against Alissa Czisny. As I watched, I heard a whole litany of Sokolova's flaws.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Shouldn't announcers and commentators be honest about the flaws of skaters? Sometimes before Caroline skates, some announcers will discuss her technique issues, what she is working on and trying to improve, where her skating isn't up to par or whatever. I don't think announcers and commentators are supposed to just compliment the skaters and be positive. Some are, others aren't. I remember the Skate America competition where Elena Sokolova was competing against Alissa Czisny. As I watched, I heard a whole litany of Sokolova's flaws.

Of course not, that's not what I meant. During competitions of course commentators do the best they can to tell the truth about the skater. You hear many less-than-complimentary things, especially for earlier groups. But this was a televised fundraiser ice show/concert-type event (Silk Skate for the Heart I believe?) The purpose of this was pure entertainment, so of course the announcers are going to be as positive as possible. It's not the time or place to nitpick about technique, skating skills, etc.

krenseby

Final Flight
Of course not, that's not what I meant. During competitions of course commentators do the best they can to tell the truth about the skater. You hear many less-than-complimentary things, especially for earlier groups. But this was a televised fundraiser ice show/concert-type event (Silk Skate for the Heart I believe?) The purpose of this was pure entertainment, so of course the announcers are going to be as positive as possible. It's not the time or place to nitpick about technique, skating skills, etc.

I know that they tend not to talk about technique during a show skating event, but I still wish they did. I am waiting for the day when a voiceover during an exhibition will explain a skater's level on their spins or say the rotation and the goe on a jump.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Not to mention it's a televised event where Michelle was an announcer. What was she supposed to say, "Here now is the slow, labored skating of Caroline Zhang?"

And how did Caroline get the gig in the first place?
Did somebody say, "We need one more skater to round out our cast. Let's see, how about Caroline Zhang? The audiences love her slow, labored skating." ? :confused:

LeCygne

Final Flight
And how did Caroline get the gig in the first place?
Did somebody say, "We need one more skater to round out our cast. Let's see, how about Caroline Zhang? The audiences love her slow, labored skating." ? :confused:

I'm not saying she was particularly slow or labored in that performance because she usually is great in exhibitions. But I'm pretty sure that event was the year that she won bronze or something at Nationals, so she was one of the top US ladies skaters at the time. And she got there by throwing down 7-triple LPs competition after competition that season. Anyway, I'm not sure why we're arguing over whether Caroline skates beautifully. Caroline naturally has a very elegant style on the ice, but skating gracefully does not equal good basic skating skills, which is something you have to work on from a young age.

krenseby

Final Flight
I'm not saying she was particularly slow or labored in that performance because she usually is great in exhibitions. But I'm pretty sure that event was the year that she won bronze or something at Nationals, so she was one of the top US ladies skaters at the time. And she got there by throwing down 7-triple LPs competition after competition that season. Anyway, I'm not sure why we're arguing over whether Caroline skates beautifully. Caroline naturally has a very elegant style on the ice, but skating gracefully does not equal good basic skating skills, which is something you have to work on from a young age.

But I think beyond the basic skills, Caroline has the same challenge many other skaters do: bringing the elegant, beautiful style of their exhibition skating to their competitive programs. Certain combinations of choreography and music make skaters look better than others. Finding that sweet spot of music, movement, and expressiveness is something that Caroline will be giving a lot of thought to once she starts seeing some improvement with her jumps. Or maybe not. I can' t really say because I have no idea how skaters balance the competing needs of artistry and technique. That' s what makes figure skating such a challenging sport after all.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, I hate to have to bring this up, but I think Caroline's biggest enemy right now is the scale. She will need to get this under control in order to get back that "effortless grace" the judges look for. Fortunately, this is something that can be corrected.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Here's Caroline's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1mnAOooWEg

The jumps look nice (in particular she hit that second 3F) aside from the lutz, and she looks faster too...the reason she scored sub-100 with this good skate was because she received a level 1 on her combo spin and a level 2 on her sit spin, as well as level 2 footwork.

Last edited: