Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
*"m'exercer" (exercise/exert myself) may be better translated here as "do my thing" or "do my best", I think. Then the "it" later would refer to this exercise/thing he did.

It would be better translated by to "practice" or "rehearse".

Thanks for the link, SF, and the translation. I went back to the article itself, and I'm thrilled that I could read it. I guess my French hasn't rusted over as much as I feared. My one question is whether the word égoïste has negative connotations here, as it would in English. I think that if a skater speaking in English (and I don't know whether Chan interviewed in French or was translated by the journalist) said, "I've become an egotistical skater," it would imply something a bit selfish. I think most skaters might phrase it in a less loaded way, such as, "Right now I'm paying attention only to myself and not comparing myself with others," or some such.

(This isn't a criticism of Patrick! I'm just interested in the nuances of the word and wonder if you have any thoughts on it.)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
His 3 falls at Japan Open were impressive, and not in a good way.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Good for him that he could set his mind like this!

Yes, I think this is a great way to approach the competitions and the progress. Judged competitions are about performances as there are no interactions among the competitors. It's all about doing one's best at the time that matters. I would tell a skater that competition happens when choreographing, training, stretagizing etc. every day except the day of the competition. That's when a skater should not think about competing or his/her competitiors. It's time to put everything out of his/her mind except the performance. As it's usually said, be in the moment. For someone at the top of the pack like Patrick especially, competing against himself is the best mindset, for everyday as well as at competition. If he can beat his earlier results, he'll likely win. If he doesn't, it's still a win as a goal achieved and there's nothing he can do about someone else's progress and performance anyways. It's a great uncluttered way to focus and do away with distractive pressures. Meanwhile, it's a loftier goal than winning titles. It's to raise the standard of the sport.

Alvyne, you're correct. I was trying to think how it would come out in an English speech.

Olympia, I thought of the different implications due to the languages too, but in context his meaning is clear. It's more egocentric then egotistic. Ecocentric is neutral in itself but is usually thought of as negative. In this case, it's more like self-focused, which sounds betters than self-centred. ;)

Maybe I shouldn't venture into translation. I got into enough hot water translating another skater's interview from Chinese already. :p

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
His 3 falls at Japan Open were impressive, and not in a good way.

Other than 3 falls, his choreography and his much matured beautiful skating were very impressive in a good way!

SkateFiguring, you are amazing!:thumbsup: Translating Chinese as well as French! French has a special place in my heart. It's such a beautiful language! Second to a soothing song. It's so cute to hear Chan speak it. But I've never ventured to learn it.:scowl:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
JO is not a serious competition but a cheesefest and a pre-season opportunity for skaters to try out their new programs for some judges' feedback. Patrick didn't have much time to train this past summer. He "competed" in a summer club competition without quads and 3A but in JO he put in the highest technical elements nonetheless. It was a good and brave practice. He happened to win because the falls were fully rotated, all other aspects of his program and skating were of very high levels, and the other skaters too were similarly at their pre-season low with problems to work out.

JO simply offered us a glimpse of some of the best skaters' new programs. I'm looking forward to see how all of them evolve and improve over the season.

Thanks for the insights into the word égoïste, SF. It's just that I was curious as to the connotations of the word in French, and I wondered whether it had any positive or neutral nuances in that language that it generally doesn't have in English. I wasn't questioning your translation at all but was getting all language-dorky about how the idea passed from one language to the other.

And you should keep translating French for us! We're so lucky on this site to have people who read in and out of so many languages, because it opens up the skating world to us skate fans. We're not stuck with just reading the few snippets that English-language papers publish. We have access to French, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean...it's a treasure.

Left to my own devices, I could have figured out the gist of this article for myself (supposing I even knew enough to locate it!), but I never could have offered a translation for others. One word, but, I never even encountered before. I was just thrilled I recognized the past tense eu!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
When top skaters emerge from different countries, their native fans often oblige to educate us about their languages and cultures. What a great side benefit for figure skating fans to learn and to understand more about our world and appreciate the differences as well as commonalities as humans!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yes, I think this is a great way to approach the competitions and the progress. Judged competitions are about performances as there are no interactions among the competitors. It's all about doing one's best at the time that matters. I would tell a skater that competition happens when choreographing, training, stretagizing etc. every day except the day of the competition. That's when a skater should not think about competing or his/her competitiors. It's time to put everything out of his/her mind except the performance. As it's usually said, be in the moment.

It's the best approach but so difficult to do. It's a winning attitude for all kinds of competitions, not just skating. More power to Chan if he could stay in such mindset!

When top skaters emerge from different countries, their native fans often oblige to educate us about their languages and cultures. What a great side benefit for figure skating fans to learn and to understand more about our world and appreciate the differences as well as commonalities as humans!

Yes, isn't it, SF! I always say, become a figure skating fan and see the world. And I've never felt so connected as I do now that I'm a GS member. Even in the days when we got to see a competition every weekend, I didn't feel I knew or picked up on so much. Now I've got people all over the world keeping me informed.

I really have to bone up on Patrick before the season starts. He seems to have grown in terms of technique and interpretation by leaps and bounds. (And there's a pun in there somewhere.)

jettasian

Match Penalty
and he is also by far the judges favorite and pet. Combine the two and it will take 7 falls for him to lose any event from until Sochi.
He's the judges' pet? I'm not sure why you have to insult him that way. Did he do something to the judges? Or did he do something to you to make you saying that?

I think your remark is quite insulting to someone's accomplishment.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Maybe someone can help me with this since I'm not an expert on figure skating. Regarding Chan's new program, I've watched the Japan Open on YouTube. Where is the Footwork on his program? In POTO, the Footwork is at the end right? I really like his POTO Footwork segment. But for this new program, I can't really tell.
How do you compare the two programs in terms of difficulties? Is his new program better than POTO or about the same? If say, he skates cleanly and hit every element, is this new progam enough to get 300 mark?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe someone can help me with this since I'm not an expert on figure skating. Regarding Chan's new program, I've watched the Japan Open on YouTube. Where is the Footwork on his program? In POTO, the Footwork is at the end right? I really like his POTO Footwork segment. But for this new program, I can't really tell.
How do you compare the two programs in terms of difficulties? Is his new program better than POTO or about the same? If say, he skates cleanly and hit every element, is this new progam enough to get 300 mark?

Both for POTO and his new program there were two step sequences.

If I am not mistakent the layout for both programs was 3 jumps in a row - step- spin, halfway point 5 jumps in a row spin step spin?

i was mistaken

after first 3axel after last jump 2axel

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Chan's Aranjuez maintains an even energy throughout and is more like an entire program of continuous footwork with jumps and spins smoothly intergrated into the whole. This results in the required elements of Step Sequences being not so distinct or distinguishable in the program. As well, instead of segments of high drama, such as the Step Sequence building up to a climax at the end of POTO, there are instead dramatic higlights throughout Aranjuez. E.g. the first SS right after the 3A, when his fast and light footwork mirrors the giddily happy music immediately turning sombre as if bad news hits an euphoria, much like a miscarriage after the honeymoon in the composer's life. This is wrapped up in that dramatic Death Drop Spin, when he stretches his arm ahead of him then turns around to fly into the air so unexpectedly. I think this use of the Death Drop Spin is similar to Salé/Pellletier's Death Spiral in Love Story.

I think the 3Lz (combo?) that he fell on should also be quite dramatic, telling from the music and his entry into the jump. I hope to see it executed well in SC.

I don't know how clean Chan's performance will be at SC since he is putting out an extremely difficult new program. But the fact that he did the beautiful 4T+3T right after falling on the first 4T tells me he does not have the same mental issues as he did this time last year when he was debuting the quad. I expect a big improvement from JO.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Thank you for the description Skatefiguring. I'm looking forward to seeing that program at Skate Canada next week. I don't care whether he skates it clean or not because it's so early in the season and I know that he works hard to peak at the right time. The way you describe the program sounds as though this is something entirely different from what he's done in the past and I can hardly wait :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^ Sorry, there is no Death Drop Spin. Death drop is the flying entry into a spin. Watch Chan's first spin in the new program.

Death drops provide some of the most spectacular skating photos.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
That death drop was so perfect in place with the music. I've never admired Nichol's choreograph as much as in this LP.:bow:

Last edited: