Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix: Chan's big challenges

skatinginbc

Medalist
Patrick does want to improve his presentation skills but I don't think he wants to be in show business to make a living. I think his goal is to win several world titles and the Olympic champion, then retire and study international business.

Besides medals and personal glory, will he consider doing something good for the society like Yuna Kim has been doing for Korea? Can someone provide a list of charity work or initiatives Patrick Chan has done to advance the skating community or the society as a whole?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Besides medals and personal glory, will he consider doing something good for the society like Yuna Kim has been doing for Korea?

That's such an irrelevent and unfair comparison. No skater in the world can compare to Yuna with her $millions, popularity, and power of influence in her home country. Many successfull skaters do what they can within their capacity, limited by time and financial inadequacies. Patrick, e.g. visits schools, gives skating clinics, does PSA, help Chinese stem cell registration campaign(I've seen pictures his very large posters for the cause in public places in BC where you live.), etc. Earlier this year he skated at an inconvenient time to raise funds for Japan relief and for a scholarship in honor of his late coach. He has been a very inspiring role model to kids, young skaters, and people of his cultural community, to whom he has brough pride just as he does for his country. Consider too that his WC title brings him no financial gains like those available to the Japanese, Americans and the Queen of Korea. He has to work to raise funds for his training and can't even afford to go to university for now.

Just because someone is not devoting all his time and effort to the same cause as you doesn't make him a bad or apathetic person, as irresistible as it is to question his character just because someone else guessed what his personal goals were.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Besides medals and personal glory, will he consider doing something good for the society like Yuna Kim has been doing for Korea?

Not so easy, Patrick need to improve his basic media skills and learn to present himself better first. He is a fantastic skater, but he need to stay out of trouble when comment on things that can be controversial or easily misinterpreted.

I got a good vibe from him though, he seems to be improving and i like his thoughtful answers he gave in his Chinese interviews. I think he 'was' a brash kid but with good intentions, but guys generally just mature slower than girls. Most people tends to forget his age, he is just 21. He can be one of the greatest if everything works out funding wise.

I agree with skatefiguring it is totally unfair and irreverent to compare anyone with what Yuna's doing or has done. It takes qualities and circumstances beyond medals and sporting achievement in her case.

Last edited:

fscric

On the Ice
Agree.

Perhaps a thread should be created for the members to post information of all the charity works or just something good for the society done by all the skaters instead of focusing on one skater.

That's such an irrelevent and unfair comparison. No skater in the world can compare to Yuna with her $millions, popularity, and power of influence in her home country. Many successfull skaters do what they can within their capacity, limited by time and financial inadequacies. Patrick, e.g. visits schools, gives skating clinics, does PSA, help Chinese bone marrow registration campaign(I've seen pictures his very large posters for the cause in public places in BC where you live.), etc. Earlier this year he skated at an inconvenient time to raise funds for Japan relief and for a scholarship in honor of his late coach. He has been a very inspiring role model to kids, young skaters, and people of his cultural community, to whom he has brough pride just as he does for his country. Consider too that his WC title brings him no financial gains like those available to the Japanese, Americans and the Queen of Korea. He has to work to raise funds for his training and can't even afford to go to university for now.

Just because someone is not devoting all his time and effort to the same cause as you doesn't make him a bad or apathetic person, as irresistible as it is to question his character just because someone else guessed what his personal goals were.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I got a good vibe from him though, he seems to be improving and i like his thoughtful answers he gave in his Chinese interviews. I think he 'was' a brash kid but with good intentions, but guys generally just mature slower than girls. Most people tends to forget his age, he is just 21.

Patrick is 20. Many think he was a brash kid because of damaging image created by the Olympic media looking for controversies. When you can watch him yourself as in the Chinese interviews, you can get a better feel and judgement for yourself.

I notice a lot of growing up and maturing from him this last year. As can be seen in the last video I linked, he is now self assured and makes sure he gets to say what he wants to say, instead of being made to talk like he was put on the stand as just a years or two ago. IOW, he's not so easily manipulated any more, as open as he still is and still answering all questions posed.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Besides medals and personal glory, will he consider doing something good for the society like Yuna Kim has been doing for Korea? Can someone provide a list of charity work or initiatives Patrick Chan has done to advance the skating community or the society as a whole?

he is not Miss Universe you know..

skatinginbc

Medalist
No skater in the world can compare to Yuna with her $millions, popularity, and power of influence in her home country.

That's such an irrelevent and unfair interpretation. Charity work does not always cost money. But you did provide a list of charity work he has done while I was editing my post. Thanks for sharing the information. I would encourage you to continue to do so. And it is important because his fame has a modeling effect. I'm especially impressed with the Chinese bone marrow registration campaign. It is a good cause. You are such a loyal supporter of Chan. I am surprised why you haven't written more posts about the good deeds he has been quietly doing. Why?

Now, this actually has something to do with the thread title "Chan's big challenge". To go beyond the league of record-breakers and become a legendary figure like Michelle or Yuna, Chan has to reshape his public image so that people will not only fall in love with his skating but also with him, his characters, Patrick Chan the person. Again, I will encourage all his fans to mention his good deeds. Good deeds generate good deeds--there is a modeling effect.

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Many think he was a brash kid because of damaging image created by the Olympic media looking for controversies. When you can watch him yourself as in the Chinese interviews, you can get a better feel and judgement for yourself.
I would like to get a better feel and judgement for myself. Is it possible for you to provide the links? Thanks.

skatinginbc

Medalist

You presumed my motive and became a little personal. I hope this won't happen again.

prettykeys

Medalist
skatinginbc, my impression is that you expect too much of Patrick Chan at times. For goodness' sake, his skating career isn't anywhere close to over (or even peaked?) and he's young. Why is he obligated to do anything outside of skating at this time...? And YuNa, as much as I love her...her circumstances are unique and it would be unfair to compare her philanthropic projects against other top skaters. :disapp:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Patrick's interview on Chinese TV conducted in English in six parts.

It is refreshing when the interviewer is a journalist with no agenda.

He is very respectable and adorable in that interview. I have no doubt that he is a nice person to be with, a responsible kid that shares the financial burdens with his parents, and an honest person who speaks his mind. And he doesn't appear arrogant at all. He seems quite humble as a matter of fact.

And it is true--no agenda. I don't get a feeling that he is promoting something or faking at all. As I said, he seems so sincere and humble. Just adorable.

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
skatinginbc, my impression is that you expect too much of Patrick Chan at times. For goodness' sake, his skating career isn't anywhere close to over (or even peaked?) and he's young. Why is he obligated to do anything outside of skating at this time...?

If it is true that his family is in debt to support his skating, he has to think about using his "brand" (skating + public image) to earn money at least enough to pay back the debt. A good public image would attract more fans and sponsors and may open a lot of doors for his future (after retirement from competitive skating). His participation in the "help Chinese stem cell registration campaign" is a very good start. Too bad it was geared toward the Chinese audience, rather than the mainstream, so that it didn't get the attention he deserved.

When discussing about Chan's challenge, I think he is already in the league of Elvis and Plushenko. I know he is the best in terms of skating techniques and he doesn't need more medals to prove it. I, however, don't see him as a successful show skater if I am allowed to say my honest opinion. So, what's the next level up for him? Of course, I would think of Michelle and Yuna. Both of them are influential in their country.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
I never understood how artistry is measured, in kilos, meters or whatever but Joubert has the ability to drag the audience and get it involved while he skates and for me thats equaly important.
Joubert likes to use techno, upbeat music in his programs, and those are easier to get the audience to get involved, clapping their hands etc.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Not so easy, Patrick need to improve his basic media skills and learn to present himself better first. He is a fantastic skater, but he need to stay out of trouble when comment on things that can be controversial or easily misinterpreted.
He has no control over who people misinterpret his words. I know a lot of people got turn off by his jab with Joubert few years ago (and gave another reason for the Chan hater to go on at him). I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said. He's the only one who dared to say it and I liked his directness.

jettasian

Match Penalty
That's such an irrelevent and unfair interpretation. Charity work does not always cost money.

But NOBODY, Chan or Buttle or Browning or whoever have any obligation to do charity work. They are figure skater, not charitable worker.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If it is true that his family is in debt to support his skating, he has to think about using his "brand" (skating + public image) to earn money at least enough to pay back the debt. A good public image would attract more fans and sponsors and may open a lot of doors for his future (after retirement from competitive skating). His participation in the "help Chinese stem cell registration campaign" is a very good start. Too bad it was geared toward the Chinese audience, rather than the mainstream, so that it didn't get the attention he deserved.

I don't think Patrick is doing charities for PR or future earnings at all. He's just being himself. He doesn't plan to make a living with his skating. His coach says he would leave it on a dime. He stays as long as he is motivated and he would rather make money with high finance or business. The dude has many interests. He would like to represent Singapore in another sport - tennis, skiing, or something else.