Grand Prix Preview: Who's the next great pair? | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Preview: Who's the next great pair?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With a new season of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series opening later this month, the skaters are hard at work tweaking the programs they'll use for this season.

More

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Considering the Germans and Pang & Tong are already greater than any of these pairs will ever be, other than possibly Volosozhar & Trankov, a silly concept for the article and seemingly a way to build up the mediocre NA pairs of current to something they arent and never will be.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Considering the Germans and Pang & Tong are already greater than any of these pairs will ever be, other than possibly Volosozhar & Trankov, a silly concept for the article and seemingly a way to build up the mediocre NA pairs of current to something they arent and never will be.
harsh(

Buttercup

Record Breaker
harsh
Harsh, but pretty much true. PJ Kwong should know better than to try and convince readers that the lower-half-of-the-top-ten teams have a shot at catching the real contenders. Pairs has become quite predictable, because the top teams really are way ahead of the rest. I'd put S/S in a league of their own so long as they make no serious mistakes, followed by V/T and P/T, then K/S and maybe the Zhangs, if they are in as good a form as everyone says - and then everyone else, depending on how they do on the day.

p.s. He's devouring her represents "a transformation from formulaic to sophisticated and layered"?!? S/S "can be inconsistent in terms of delivering programs that captivate our interest from a performance point of view"? Come on, PJ. :sheesh:

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
S/S "can be inconsistent in terms of delivering programs that captivate our interest from a performance point of view"? Come on, PJ. :sheesh:

Yeah, I was shaking my head too, when I read this. S/S are probably inconsistent on elements but performance wise, no way. All these articles are written just to get us exited for the new season cause the competition is so very close and anything can happen...

I'm just waiting for an ice-dance article which tells us that the other teams are really catching up and the title is up for grabs if V/M and D/W make the slightest mistake :)

evangeline

Record Breaker
I definitely also side-eyed PJ's comment about S/S's programs. The CoP pairs era has been a snooze as a whole, but in terms of complexity and originality of pairs programs for the past few years, S/S have been at the forefront. Methinks that PJ was not a fan of Pink Panther...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For someone with the reputation of knowing everything that happens in the sport of figure skating, it's amazing that PJ doesn't seem to know that PANG / TONG are not competing in the Grand Prix this season.