Lysacek out of Grand Prix; at odds with USFS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lysacek out of Grand Prix; at odds with USFS

What does Evan gain by this? He loses a chance to get his competition legs back under him and win new fans. (Compare Razzano's reaction!) He doesn't succeed in making the USFSA look bad. To fight with one's federation over money looks greedy at a time when we all know the audience is pitiful. And where is he going to go for the bigger $$ he thinks he's worth?

That said, I was surprised to find out how big the USFSA's budget is. I expected it to be under $1 million for sure. I guess it includes TV contracts...? But what do they spend it on?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I stopped being a Lyacek fan at Nationals 2010. Evan finished 3rd with a lackluster FS, and after the medal ceremony, he stalked off the ice instead of meeting and greeting fans like the other 3 medalists. He may be an OGM winner, but he is also something of a diva with a bad case of exaggerated self-importance.

I'd rather see Doug Razzano anyway!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I'm really puzzled that Keegan has not had any events at all so far.
Keegan Messing has an upcoming Senior B assignment at the Cup of Nice in France (same week as Skate Canada).

I'm happy that Douglas Razzano is getting this chance to compete in his first-ever Grand Prix!

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does this mean Evan won't do Bompard either? Maybe he's afraid to compete against Patrick Chan. Unless he has a couple quads up his sleeve, he doesn't stand a chance.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Well, I say, Go Evan! One thing I hope is that he eventually makes enough money to hire someone to compose his press releases for him. There are three grammatical mistakes in these two sentences. (“Inform” is transitive, he is extremely well-trained, and the agreement is between “USFS and me.” ;) )
OR he could hire me, I would make 10 mistakes average in those two sentences and then by comparisson his 3 mistakes wouldnt look so bad :) (i didnt even understand that his sentence had a mistake anyway)

My thought is , did they really have to discuss the financial stuff between them one week before the competition? Since May that his name was announced on the lists? Too much drama for nothing.

The entire "that-clause" in his statement serves as the direct object of the transitive verb "inform". The indirect object "you", though absent, is implied (e.g., "I am giving (you) my two-cents"). Although pragmatically, it is not as eloquent as desired, syntactically speaking, I would not say it is ungrammatical, especially from the view of descriptive grammar.

Similarly, "myself" can be used reflexively as the object of a preposition and hence "between USFS and myself" (considered as "bad" writing by many) or "between USFS and me” is in fact a question of style rather than grammar.

OK, if you say so.

But "to inform" without informing someone usually mens ratting out your gangster buddies.

As for me, myself, I think that I can make a deal with myself, but USFS must make a deal with me. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ Or maybe the other Federations-in fear of his dominance over their skaters- paid him the double money in order not to skate again.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Unemcombered by the thought process, I would think in the skating world, the rules of marketing would take effect. Yu-Na is paid, what? 6 to 9 million a year cause figure skating is hot in her country and she is hot?
I would think endorsements would be the most lucrative way of making money but you dont get those unless you are hot and out there and skating is hot....once you are out of the limelight and your 15 minutes of fame are gone, you arent worth much unless you can do something, like coach. I have no problem if someone is burned out and has lost the fire...take a break or get out...its your life. Look at Miki after worlds....all I want is a bit of honesty and openness from the organization I support. If I am not going to get that, I have to re-think were my charitable contributions go....
(By the way, Mathman, only Lawyers and English Majors care about dangling participles and such. And I am not so sure about English majors any more. Social media has killed the English language, which is even deader than Latin. There is serious talk about ending the teaching of proper hand writing. As the population is dumbed down, so goes the country....

brightphoton

Medalist
Is this our cue to gasp in shock, "Nooooo! Not Evan! Skate America wouldn't be Skate America without Evan's trademark boring skating and black-on-black costumes! HERE'S MONEY - TAKE IT, I BEG OF YOU!!!!!"

(By the way, Mathman, only Lawyers and English Majors care about dangling participles and such. And I am not so sure about English majors any more. Social media has killed the English language, which is even deader than Latin. There is serious talk about ending the teaching of proper hand writing. As the population is dumbed down, so goes the country....

As for the handwriting classes ending, good riddance. What good does learning cursive do? Cursive is readable letters made illegible by superfluous squiggles and loops. Digital data is forever, always readable, and much more useful for data analysis than its analog counterpart.

Last edited:
As for the handwriting classes ending, good riddance. ...Digital data is forever, always readable, and much more useful for data analysis than its analog counterpart.

Quite so. Digital data is the CoP of communication. Writing with a beautiful hand -- who cares about the second mark these days? ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Is this our cue to gasp in shock, "Nooooo! Not Evan! Skate America wouldn't be Skate America without Evan's trademark boring skating and black-on-black costumes! HERE'S MONEY - TAKE IT, I BEG OF YOU!!!!!"

Is there enough time for a fundraising campaign? Would you champion it?

As for the handwriting classes ending, good riddance. What good does learning cursive do? Cursive is readable letters made illegible by superfluous squiggles and loops. Digital data is forever, always readable, and much more useful for data analysis than its analog counterpart.

Digital data is not forever. It requires a proper reading device which is often phased out in a short time and becomes obsolete. Much data is lost on the old floppy discs for example. Books, the really old ones without the paper acid, last almost forever.

Hand writing is still often necessary, especially when there is no technology devices around. As well, most such devises require battery power without which they are useless.

Here is a marketing piece I write about a versatile cleaning device:

This wonderful cleaning invention is simple and easy to operate without complicated instructions. It gathers and gets rid of dirt and debris of various sizes fast and quietly from all kinds of surfaces. It is cordless, light weight, portable, and usable indoors and outdoors. Best of all, it is very economical, durable, and its operation requires no electricity or any fuel at all. It is called a Broom.

Back to skating. Hmmm, maybe Evan Lysacek doesn't want to face Patrick Chan's mop? (OK, I know that's a lame way to bring it back on topic. :eek::)

brightphoton

Medalist
Quite so. Digital data is the CoP of communication. Writing with a beautiful hand -- who cares about the second mark these days? ;)

Well played, Mathman.

Is there enough time for a fundraising campaign? Would you champion it?

What ... no. I don't enjoy Evan's skating. I don't understand why he expects people to shower him with money just for showing up. He isn't Tiger Woods, or Michael Phelps, or Maria Sharapova, nor is he at some sort of performance or theater like Stars on Ice. I'm guessing he's become out of shape since the Olympics and didn't want people to find out.

Digital data is not forever. It requires a proper reading device which is often phased out in a short time and becomes obsolete. Much data is lost on the old floppy discs for example. Books, the really old ones without the paper acid, last almost forever.

While data being lost on floppy disks may be a problem for an individual, the opposite problem (data never going away) is much more ubiquitous. Furthermore, if the data is that important, it should be saved in a universal, non-proprietary format and regularly backed up.

I don't know what paper acid is, but acid-free sounds fancy and expensive. My books are probably acidy ...

sorcerer

Final Flight
...While data being lost on floppy disks may be a problem for an individual, the opposite problem (data never going away) is much more ubiquitous. ...I don't know what paper acid is, but acid-free sounds fancy and expensive. My books are probably acidy ...

:laugh: !!
And however acid-free a book may be, most readers' hands are acidy so maybe not much differerence unless you wear gloves?

BTW I think I've found the answer Evan had given us beforehand:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/figures...c-champion-evan-lysacek-sights-set-sochi-2014
"You say things under pressure and I don't blame him for that.

Maybe he was feeling great pressure with the SA dates coming closer and closer.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Social media has killed the English language, which is even deader than Latin......As the population is dumbed down, so goes the country....

Old English is dead, killed by Geoffrey Chaucer. Middle English is dead, killed by William Shakespeare. Modern English is dead, killed by Social Media. Or, we may call it "evolution" if you will.
Strictly speaking, to "dumb someone down" is not "standard English". The original meaning of the Old English word "dumb" pertains to the lack of power of speech. The adoption of the sense of stupidity is a result of borrowing from a foreign source. But you used it, I understood it, and the country hasn't gone yet.
Although most Indo-European languages are synthetic languages, English is becoming more and more analytic--a natural path of evolution for being a language of a "melting pot". The most oft-cited example of an analytic language is Mandarin, whose ancestor Old Chinese actually sounds somewhat like Latin, with pitch accents but no tones. Yet the country of China did not fall despite the drastic change in her language.

I might agree, however: As the audience is dumbed down by Evan's performance, so goes the skating.....

Evan's use of "myself" in his statement seems to entail an emphatic function: It was him--not his agent or somebody else--that failed to reach a suitable agreement with US Figure Skating by the event entry deadline.
USFSA and me (grammatically unmarked, regular) vs USFSA and myself (marked, emphasized).

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
How come suddenly I'm thinking about a three-year-old throwing a temper tantrum after being denied of the things he/she wants?!:laugh: Cute, though.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
How come suddenly I'm thinking about a three-year-old throwing a temper tantrum after being denied of the things he/she wants?!:laugh: Cute, though.

Somehow I feel it's much more calculated than a toddler's tantrum. "Cute" has never occurred to me.