The Shibutani article on ESPN | Golden Skate

The Shibutani article on ESPN

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Shibutanis Make the Ice Dancing the Family Business

I read it with great interest in that the article provides nice insight into the Shibutanis' early success. Some of the highlights from the article are:

"...They're young yet so technically proficient, said co-coach Marina Zoueva, that the international federation last year used their skating to train judges in identifying how competitors can score bonus points on certain elements.

"Mentally, they are very mature, very intelligent," Zoueva said.

Zoueva said the Shibutanis are more self-reliant than others their age.

'Some kids come and say, 'Oh, we can't do it, can you help us?' [Alex and Maia] always say, 'Yeah, that's not comfortable, maybe we can do this another way' … They bring their ideas how to fix stuff," she said. "I love this. This means they are thinking.'"

"...Coaches and skaters point to the Shibutanis' musicality -- the instinct not only to select the right music but also to perform it on the ice -- as an unusual trait for young skaters."

I highly recommend the article for those who are interested in the Shibs. (and those who are the detractors of the Shibs ;)).

gmyers

Record Breaker
what else can you say but that in ice dance! they were were third! at their first! worlds! !!!! Definitely in the front of the line for bronze in Sochi. I can't beleive VIrtue and Moir are still competing- I think they are going to go to Sochi- Why stop now? Then you have Davis and White who are going to Sochi. That has to be siver and gold and maybe SHibutani's can upset one of them for silver maybe? And then maybe from bronze or silver in sochi they win gold in Pyeongchang. But if VIrtue and Moir do retire before Sochi maybe after winning worlds in France and then Davis and White win gold in Sochi and Shibutani's win silver in Sochi. So most definitely a medal in Sochi. Maybe if it is two American teams battling for gold it could go either way in Sochi. If they are all in Sochi the podium is theirs. If Shibutani's win gold in Sochi, Davis and White would retire (V&M have retired in this scenario) and they also win gold in Pyeongcheng.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
gmyers - I see you are a Shib enthusiast rather than a detractor. :biggrin::biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's just that I don't think there has been one big technical mistake at all from them in their senior competitions so far!!

yunafan1860

Rinkside
what else can you say but that in ice dance! they were were third! at their first! worlds! !!!! Definitely in the front of the line for bronze in Sochi. I can't beleive VIrtue and Moir are still competing- I think they are going to go to Sochi- Why stop now? Then you have Davis and White who are going to Sochi. That has to be siver and gold and maybe SHibutani's can upset one of them for silver maybe? And then maybe from bronze or silver in sochi they win gold in Pyeongchang. But if VIrtue and Moir do retire before Sochi maybe after winning worlds in France and then Davis and White win gold in Sochi and Shibutani's win silver in Sochi. So most definitely a medal in Sochi. Maybe if it is two American teams battling for gold it could go either way in Sochi. If they are all in Sochi the podium is theirs. If Shibutani's win gold in Sochi, Davis and White would retire (V&M have retired in this scenario) and they also win gold in Pyeongcheng.
this post gave me a bit of head ache :p

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought their only problem had been a wardrobe malfunction that did not reflect their technical skill. Still the technical ability combined with the PCS has been shown to win them medals at every event they have entered as seniors.

reneerose

Final Flight
Great article thanks!

Nice article. LOL at her bro's description of Maia as a "30 year old in a 17 year old's body" :laugh:
I love watching them skate! Natural elegant style and flow. And I love their costumes! :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

You are looking way too far into the future and assuming far too much. Especialy as a the moment the Shibutanis arent even considered the 3rd best team. They won bronze at Worlds since another team had an 8 point double fall, and still only lost to them by a fraction of a point. There are many teams in the Shibutanis age group who have just as much potential who might or might not surpass them before 2014. There are also teams who are currently juniors or who we dont know much about yet who will emerge. Looking beyond 2014 even to 2018 imparticular is just :laugh: .

At the moment the Shibutanis are no V&M or D&W though. Those two teams are in a league by themselves until one retires or one of the younger teams improve a HUGE amount. The Shibutanis right now are not unbeatable to anyone in the top 7 and wont beat any of V&M, D&W, or probably even P&B unless they make an enormous error like P&B did at Worlds. V&M or D&W would have to make atleast 2 enormous errors to be close with the Shibutanis right now.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Certainly, D&W beat the Shibutanis with a double fall at last year's Skate America. Granted the fall was on a posing skill, no a graded skill.

gmyers

Record Breaker
You are looking way too far into the future and assuming far too much. Especialy as a the moment the Shibutanis arent even considered the 3rd best team. They won bronze at Worlds since another team had an 8 point double fall, and still only lost to them by a fraction of a point. There are many teams in the Shibutanis age group who have just as much potential who might or might not surpass them before 2014. There are also teams who are currently juniors or who we dont know much about yet who will emerge. Looking beyond 2014 even to 2018 imparticular is just :laugh: .

At the moment the Shibutanis are no V&M or D&W though. Those two teams are in a league by themselves until one retires or one of the younger teams improve a HUGE amount. The Shibutanis right now are not unbeatable to anyone in the top 7 and wont beat any of V&M, D&W, or probably even P&B unless they make an enormous error like P&B did at Worlds. V&M or D&W would have to make atleast 2 enormous errors to be close with the Shibutanis right now.

But it does say something about the Shibutani's that they were the beneficiaries of that fall and no other team was.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
But it does say something about the Shibutani's that they were the beneficiaries of that fall and no other team was.

Yes it says they are good competitors and contenders already. It doesnt say they are a lock for the 2014 Olympic podium already, and a good chance to win the next 2 Olympic Golds.

gmyers

Record Breaker
All but one team has to improve to get to the Shibutani's 2011 wolrds level and they wont pass them if the Shibutani's also improve above and beyond the level they are already at. And then the opponents of the Shibutani's have to have the same kind of competitive mental ability which P/B didn't have at 2011 worlds.

DianaSelene

Medalist
All but one team has to improve to get to the Shibutani's 2011 wolrds level and they wont pass them if the Shibutani's also improve above and beyond the level they are already at. And then the opponents of the Shibutani's have to have the same kind of competitive mental ability which P/B didn't have at 2011 worlds.

I don't understand what you mean.