Men's Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

Hi Spun Sikver. That Michal is my best choice of any field. As you are aware, I care about blade to ice with all the virtues of music. Just not into blade off the ice and barrel jumping air rotations. However, I do think there is a Sport for Air Rotations and Barrel Jumping without music. (Change SP to Sport)

BREZINA, the way to go for Figure Skating.
Hi Joe! Nice to "hear your voice."
If your guy can keep skating like this, he's going to have a fabulous year. Hope it happens.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Samuel Contesti sure can conduct. If only he had Bradley's jumps. Or if Bradley could skate like Contesti. But then there would still be the matter of spins.

The commentators keep mentioning Patrick Chan at the end. What are they saying?

JQSkate

Rinkside
I was in the arena last night and just wanted to share some "random" observations about the men.

1. Brezina - this program is very "sharp" and he skates it very "musically"....I assume it is because it is his program from last year. I was very impressed, and the lift he gets on his jumps was even more spectacular than on TV, especially considering he seemed to have a somewhat lackluster warm up. Very well deserved first place.

2. Kozuka - I feel like his edging and proficiency don't come across as well on TV. He is clearly the best "skater" in the field, mistakes aside. I was also happy to hear him get some big applause (probably the loudest outside the three Americans). A word that comes to mind when watching him live is "silk". I haven't watched the videos, but his music at the end "hurts" (for lack of a better term)....I thought for a second that there were some audio issues, but I guess it's some kind of high saxophone or something. Otherwise, the program stood out for having unique choreography and movement.

3. Murakami - Skated clean, though somewhat uninspired. People didn't go nuts at all for the quad salchow, but it was clean. He needs to work on creating a more dynamic presentation and not look like he is focusing the entire time.

4. Kevin VDP - Got the jumps done, and they were clean and impressive. The "spotting" on his 3 loop was especially dizzying. However, he kind of "lumbers" around the ice, and I would expect him to have at least more power between the elements. His physique reminds me of Brian Boitano's, yet Brian flew....(I realize COP has somewhat "killed" speed in skating, but still...) I would package him in a way to get the crowd more behind him.

5. Richard Dornbush - Really stalked the 3 axel in warm up, and I was surprised when he landed it (though I noticed it was downgraded in the protocols...did not see this at all in the arena, and he jumped right in front of where I was sitting). The "madness" of his straight line footwork suits the character of the music, and he did a nice job overall. Wish he was higher in the standings, but a good free will likely podium him. He's the hometown boy, so loudest cheers of the night.

6. Denis Ten - I think I was most impressed with Denis Ten. His movement and presentation were elegant and refined, and at one point he even looked up at the stands and took a moment to express toward the crowd, probably the only man to do so. As an MK uber, this reminded me of him "oozing like toothpaste." I assume this is a Lori program? His jumps looked silky smooth every time he tried them, so I was super bummed about the lutz. I think he would have deserved to be in second (or third behind Dornbush) otherwise. He has massive potential that I hope he realizes soon.

7. Armin - A good program, but in many ways very forgettable. While he skates "pretty", I think he needs more power and dynamism...it's all a bit safe and lacking some impact. This was especially apparent given that I think Bond overpowered him.

8. Amodio - I already knew this from TV - he really knows how to sell a program. His footwork sequence seemed to go on for days (though not a good thing in my opinion) and I was shocked to see him so low in the standings given how much he rose last year. The music cut is even more jarring live than it probably is on TV. But he is a showman, that's for sure.

9. Razzano - saw him at Glacier Falls, where he didn't leave much of an impression on me. He has definitely improved, especially musically...though maybe it's because I just love Rachmaninoff. Quads looked okay in warm up, too bad about the pop. In general, he needs to work on being a bit more refined and polished though.

10. Contesti - mess of a skate, though probably the biggest "ham" and the crowd really wanted to get behind him. He does one camel spin that was so slow I thought he was going to fall over or just end in that position. There's something "scratchy" about the way he does his elements, such as his landings for instance.

Hope you enjoyed reading! Off to see the finale in a couple hours...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks JQSkate for your rinkside report. I'll wait for your LP observations.

I just watched Michal Brezina's winning SP. He has been 4th in two Worlds, missing out on a medal this year because of poor stamina in an otherwise impressive package of what it takes to be a Worlds medalist. I was hoping he had gotten over the fitness issue of last year with an injury but seeing his heavy breathing after the Short does not bode well for the Long. Such vulnerability leaves the door open for Kozuka, whose main concern should be rotating his quad, preferably landing it.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Thank you, JQSkate!
Felt a little sad to see those vacant seats but wow, what a wonderful report! And what you said is more or less the same as my impression even though I saw some of the programs on vids.

Especially happy that you liked Ten's program. Beautiful music and choreo, I would say. Who is the choreographer? Lambiel?
Ten has been very inconsistent and as I see, his winning performance at the Asian Games early this year seemed a bit labored. Lack of stamina probably because of minor injuries. However, he looks fit today and there is the same charisma that I remember from him. Still an e on his flip.

Yes, Michal's high jumps and Kozuka's great footwork, Dornbush's dynamism, I totally agree.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I really like Kozuka's program. His foot work is awesome.

Glad to see Brezina improve his movement. He was one of my favs in juniors.

KVP said he pretty much only likes to jumps which I don't get at all being in this sport but I guess that's why the rest of his skating lacks so much.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hi Spun Sikver. That Michal is my best choice of any field. As you are aware, I care about blade to ice with all the virtues of music. Just not into blade off the ice and barrel jumping air rotations. However, I do think there is a Sport for Air Rotations and Barrel Jumping without music. (Change SP to Sport)

BREZINA, the way to go for Figure Skating.

Joe, I'm so glad to know that you got to see Michal's excellent performance. I was watching it, thinking, Joe would just love this--I hope he is watching.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I loved Richard Dornbush's program.. absolutely beautiful. I think he might win US Nationals this year even if Jeremy Abbott skates well. Amodio's was the most entertaining, even though he made a mistake.

...I can't get on the Kozuka bandwagon. To me he skates in miniature. I like my boys to have power and amplitude... or else a sinuous beauty (Weir, Amodio, Mahbanouzadeh).

I know what you mean about "miniature." But Kozuka has a cool command of his medium and is exquisite in detail. The world needs Chopin as well as Beethoven. :yes:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I loved Richard Dornbush's program.. absolutely beautiful. I think he might win US Nationals this year even if Jeremy Abbott skates well. Amodio's was the most entertaining, even though he made a mistake.

I think Dornbush is the future for the US. Loved his skate.

I just watched Michal Brezina's winning SP. He has been 4th in two Worlds, missing out on a medal this year because of poor stamina in an otherwise impressive package of what it takes to be a Worlds medalist. I was hoping he had gotten over the fitness issue of last year with an injury but seeing his heavy breathing after the Short does not bode well for the Long. Such vulnerability leaves the door open for Kozuka, whose main concern should be rotating his quad, preferably landing it.

Brezina was coming back from injury though last year. I don't think stamina was what hurt him the year before at worlds. I think this year could be his year on the world podium if he remains healthy. He shouldn't be in peak condition now.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Just watched Kozuka's SP on CBC and it's very satisfying hearing Kurt and Lori gushing about this skaters' skater. :cool:

skatinginbc

Medalist
I just watched Kozuka's short program on TV and I think the music and program suited him well. It has a great potential.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I just keep wondering where Evan would have placed. I have no doubt he could have won the event.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Just saw Kozuka's short program on TV, very rough and kinda boring. I always find his skate boring.