Skate America Short Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate America Short Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought both Isabella & Deividas and Nelli & Alexander should have been closer to P&B. I really enjoyed both their dances, as well as D&W's.

All the dances are on youtube now.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, just a quick observation that Meryl just looks more stunning every year! Loved the color of her dress on her, definitely, like IP said. But is she getting ever more toned? She just looks fantastic.

Thanks for posting the youtube of D/W which was so rudely interrupted last night.

I'm not as enthusiastic as others. They look good, the skating is close to perfect, but there is none of the sizzle that (IMO) should be in Latin dancing. Meryl seems to look through Charlie or over his shoulder and they both seem to be performing outward (to the judges) rather than to each other. Duh, it's a competition. Still, it's not especially fun to watch, even if it's highly instructive. JMO. And their costumes don't go together, IMO. They're dressed as if they're going to different parties.

I do like D/W but it's been a while since I loved them (Bollywood).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I did like D&W's SD quite a lot--they just need to work on it a bit more. I particularly liked the way the rhumba was incorporated into the choreography and the little touches they gave to it to make it more authentic and interesting. Charlie looked a little tight in the warmup and throughout the dance-as he often does on the first showing of a program, particularly in the SD.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the dance develops.

All the SD's may be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sprsumm#p/u

Apparently, Nathalie & Fabian's outfits look better viewed live, but on TV the olive, and chartreuse with bright blue accents just looks :confused: However, the intent for them is samba, in which case the costumes bother me because they are too restrained, but the color is OK ;)

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Totally agree Meryl is one of the most beautiful women to ever step on the ice (Along with Angelica Krylova). And that was a fantastic dance. I honestly did not think they would be able to pull it off. By far the strongest short dance seen so far this year.. and it's not even close.

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow D/W were awesome imo. They may not have the chemistry of the Canadians but I seem more of it in this dance. The edging and difficulty just make me go wow. So proud of them. The only thing off was their twizzles.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Universal Sports doesn't have sole claim on the GP. IN has a contract to show the GP this season just like the last few years. I think Universal Sports shows the Grand Prix too so i don't see that they would hack the IN like that.

fairly4

Medalist
d/ w were great, have to work out kinks, but will definetely be a battle between v/m and d/w . for me d/w showed more in presence, they got me into this program also.

for me hubbell and donohue seem off from nebelhorn trophy.
but all 3 top dances were great. all are fighting for it and putting out the best they can .
feel for takahiko , but good job to all men in the short

also good luck to all in free program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't think an American figure skating user group would have much interest in RUGBY. :rolleye:
That caper just made us all MAD :mad:

jcoates

Medalist
I agree that Meryl looked fantastic. I also loved their program. I admit I was expecting V/M to have a clear advantage in this segment this season, and am pleasantly surprised at how competitive this program is with theirs. I disagree with criticisms about Charlie's performance. He appears to have gotten the idea that his hips and upper body need to convey a looseness and freedom that some of the other men seem to have trouble displaying. Good hip action is difficult to incorporate for skaters, but his attempts are more than credible. The fact that they are included during more than just the opening or closing movements is an added plus and increases the authenticity of the dance.

I also don't think that latin dances, especially those meant for performance rather than true social dancing, necessarily need to be done inwardly. Latin dances can simply be party dances meant to be projected outwardly, convey fun, meant to get people in the mood to dance themselves. They don't have to imply the start of a mating ritual or romance. I think they are clearly going for that approach.

Doris, I get the impression that Natalie and Fabian are going for a Caribbean or Polynesian rather than a Carnival vibe in their dance and particularly their costuming. Breezy island cool rather than strict Latin American. That might be better a fit for their European sensibilities. I would expect North American teams to go for a more literal Latin American interpretation and costuming, based only on geographic and cultural proximity.

BTW, as far as I can tell D/W's costumes are based on and very similar to the ones they wore in the CD at 2007 Worlds with some modifications. Meryl's color has changed slightly and the dress is more adorned in crystals, but the idea is pretty much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33--pUeJm1Q

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Universal Sports doesn't have sole claim on the GP. IN has a contract to show the GP this season just like the last few years. I think Universal Sports shows the Grand Prix too so i don't see that they would hack the IN like that.

Last year, IIRC, IN had the rights to everything but what would be shown on NBC. At least for nationals. Once the final flight was up IN would give a message saying the broadcast was over, jump to NBC or Universal Sports... all well and good when you have fair warning. I subscribed once, hated it and then had a heck of a time getting rid of it (even after I told them I wouldn't subscribe they did it for me anyway).

jettasian

Match Penalty
I find Meryl's hair's bit too long, very distracting, and always on Charlie's face. I'd be very uncomfortable.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I think Meryl and Charlie's program is the best ever created for the short dance format. I think it shows how good a program could be under this new system. It is so good, that it's not even noticeable that they have required elements. Everything just moves and flows so well and I am so shocked that Meryl had it in her to move like that! I have watched this dance 12 times already!

missysays

On the Ice
I find Meryl's hair's bit too long, very distracting, and always on Charlie's face. I'd be very uncomfortable.

I disagree. I think her hair looks great! That long curly double ponytail looks fantastic on her- really captures the flavor of a Latin dance. I didn't notice it getting into Charlie's face.

One skater in this competition that I think would benefit from letting her hair down- literally is Alexandra Paul. She's a beautiful girl with gorgeous dresses but in the SD (besides the technical snafus) she looked much too elegant and civilized. The Latin dances no matter what flavor you take on is a sexy dance and hairstyle plays into that. Besides the skating of course! :laugh:

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Meryl and Charlie's program is the best ever created for the short dance format. I think it shows how good a program could be under this new system. It is so good, that it's not even noticeable that they have required elements. Everything just moves and flows so well and I am so shocked that Meryl had it in her to move like that! I have watched this dance 12 times already!

ITA and I think I've watched it about 8 times.

emma

Record Breaker
ITA and I think I've watched it about 8 times.

Me too with this one - it is really great; i am so in awe of ice dancers' skills, and then to watch great ones who are so fast and precise, wow, is all I can say.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Continuing in the lighter vein: I didn't mind P/B costume colors, although I will admit his pants look a little like they raided some 1970's curtains or armchair upholstery! That shade is just 70's "pad" all over. But it looked alright in conjunction with her dress, which had some other shades to relieve the color. I enjoyed their dance a lot, too, even with the big mishap.