Skaters and Good Deeds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters and Good Deeds

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Am I the only fan who remembers the good deeds ascribed to Viktor Petrenko when he was an amateur skating for the USSR? There was an American girl injured in a skating accident & hopitalized at a time when many Soviet hospitals had very little in the way of medical supplies & clean bedding. Viktor provided these from his personal supplies & funds. Of course, you know of the help that Viktor & Galina provided to Oksana Baiul. And this was back in the days before the ISU was paying prize money.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Viktor Petrenko is one of most philanthropic skaters there are and his good works continue though I can't list them here now.

Tonichelle, one doesn't need any more reason to love Lambiel. He is the Mr. Congeniality of all skaters. Super talented and super nice. I know he will continue to contribute so much to both skating and the world in general.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I the only fan who remembers the good deeds ascribed to Viktor Petrenko when he was an amateur skating for the USSR? There was an American girl injured in a skating accident & hopitalized at a time when many Soviet hospitals had very little in the way of medical supplies & clean bedding. Viktor provided these from his personal supplies & funds. Of course, you know of the help that Viktor & Galina provided to Oksana Baiul. And this was back in the days before the ISU was paying prize money.

No, you're not alone in remembering this! :thumbsup:

Viktor Petrenko is one of most philanthropic skaters there are and his good works continue though I can't list them here now.

:)

Toni, I think Kristi's work with promoting flu shots is important, worthy work, and I think it fits the category of "good deed."

I absolutely agree! Thanks so much for reminding us about Viktor. I remember learning of his assistance when the American pairs skater was injured. He brought in his own bedding and I think syringes, which all Soviets who traveled in those days knew to buy abroad and stockpile. He also served as a translator when the rest of the team went home and the only one left with the girl was I think her coach. She was very severely injured--she had a fractured skull. So his intervention was more than just casually friendly; it was crucial.

I believe he's still active in children's hospital work in the Ukraine, where there are many residual problems from Chernobyl as well as the usual troubles that any population would have in a shaky economy. This is a man who has made his life matter.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan just received the University Of Ottawa's Distinguished Canadian Leadership Awards (DCLA) because of his community service work:

Patrick Chan has been world figure skating champion since his victory at the Moscow championships in the spring of 2011, where he accomplished the feat of establishing world records in all three categories (short program, long program and combined score). He is also a two-time world silver medalist. In addition to being an athlete, he also dedicates much of his time to community service agencies and programs for youth, including the Canadian Olympic Committee’s Adopt–an–Athlete program, for which he serves as a mentor to low-income elementary students on fitness, health, goal setting and communication, and Right To Play, for which he serves as an athlete–ambassador. He is also in demand as a public speaker for sports, community and business groups. In 2009, Patrick Chan appeared on the Globe and Mail Power List of the 30 most influential people in sport in Canada.

---------------------

For the University of Ottawa, exceptional leadership is characterized by qualities such as the expression and execution of a high purpose and of service to the community at large, an indelible impact on the community, innovative approaches to national concerns and aspirations, unwavering determination and significant contributions to the creation of a strong sense of Canadian community.

Not bad for a 20-year old. He's in very good company.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
i would put michelle kwan in their
by the way most if not all of the u.s skaters are doing some form of charitable work, deed -through skating on charitable shows, giving to their charity, showing up for the charity.
so it would be a who'who in U.s. and since other country skaters skate in the charity shows, i would also include them.
so it is most everyone who does a charitable deed.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Tim David, an adult skater (two-time national champion) who manages Melissa Bulanhagui, has put together a benefit for the last two years entitled, "One Step Closer." Oksana Baiul has skated in this show!

http://onestepclosernyc.org/

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Didn't Nancy Kerrigan do work for the Blind in honor of her mom?

Before and after she was required to do community service, Tonya Harding had done some work for charities. She met with San Francisco mayor, Willie Brown, and had done some work for children's charities in the city.

Should the skaters who appear on Harvard University's An Evening of Champions be listed? The annual show raises money for the Jimmy Fund.

fairly4

Medalist
like i stated i would.
all the U.s. helped out charites.
kristi, kurt, scott tara, helped out boys and girls club while skating for Soi, plus the cancer society

michelle has helped out special olympics, make a wish, childrens miracle network, plus the cancer society. elizabeth glaser pediatric childrens fund.

yu-na special olympics, unicef.

you can start a list and probably about every skater in the world has helped out a charitable organizations.
you would be hard pressed to find a elite skater who hasn't done anything for any charity. they all have.

that is why for me this thread is redundant. i can list a skater from each country who has give to a charity.

irina-red cross, lung association
joannie-vision
michelle- children miracle network etc
mao-japan relief fund
yu-na =unicef
stephanie-helped in skating in charities0-i don't know which
michael brezina -i think he helpd out last year in one.

just make a list of your skaters-check to see if they skated for a charity or have given money to a charity and you will find out very few elite skaters haven't done charitable work.

i don't mean to leave out skaters, for me this list to too big to name them all.