Men's FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's FS

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm used to see a skater win an event by coming in second in both programs but Taka just got handed a bronze for 2/2. Poor guy didn't get the usual break.

Quoting myself to continue: In contrast to Kozuka, Dornbush got into 4th place overall with 5/6 placements. You just have to take what Skate God deals you.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah his posture bothers me.

Wow music all the way back to Yagudin days but with out a spectacular Yagudin.

Makes me want to go and watch Alexei's Olympic performance.

emma

Record Breaker
I love Taka's program!!!! I really hope to see it clean. So, happy for Kevin (kinda wish there was just a little more there so he could win), and I do feel for Brezina - and just hope to see him bring the quads.

So, I had to turn the tv down for a phone call: what did Michal say about his coaches? And what did Scott say about Evan?? Please tell!

PS I have really missed Gannon - so glad to have his commentary!

Well, a lot of times, fairness in sports or any form of competition means removing randomness, the unexpected. This is true of not just COP figure skating, but many other sports where most of the time, the winners can be predicted. Does that take away the excitement?

In (American) football, when one team leads another by 50 points at the half, the television audience switches to the game on the other channel, while the live audience leaves at halftime to get a jump on the traffic.

(Then on the drive home, listening on the car radio, you hear that the home team fell apart in the second half and let the other guys catch up. You make a U-turn...)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In (American) football, when one team leads another by 50 points at the half, the television audience switches to the game on the other channel, while the live audience leaves at halftime to get a jump on the traffic.

actually, these days the network you're watching does it for you. SO FRUSTRATING.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Any scheme I can think of to guarantee closeness in every part of a competition only makes things less fair for the competitors. Maybe it's less hype for the audience, but they will just have to take their lumps. And ultimately I think people respond better to a truly fair and meritocratic competition where being better means you do better, and being a lot better means you do a lot better.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Didn't expect to write this but Van Der Perren was robbed and should have won Brezina was soo ultra conservative it was embarrassing for him. You expect to beat Patrick Chan doing no quads?

seniorita

Record Breaker
i like Arnin a lot. The sp was my fav of men.
KVDP won the free skate! wow, if only for being 29 and his guts to skate to yagudin music:)
The athlete who replaced lysacek is nice, first time I saw him!Defenetely happy he skated there!

Medusa

Record Breaker
Wow, that was a really sloppy competition. Kind of a let-down. But good for Kevin and Michal.

apple123

On the Ice
I have to say I agree with this, Kevin made the least mistakes, and Brezina nearly collapsed again in the second half. I'm so happy for Kevin, to think he almost retired after the olympics, and now almost won a GP gold medal, what a turnaround.

Didn't expect to write this but Van Der Perren was robbed and should have won Brezina was soo ultra conservative it was embarrassing for him. You expect to beat Patrick Chan doing no quads?

DancerLily

Rinkside
Thank you, Mathman:) I've just seen Dornbush's program and that William Tell part was kind of daring...I couldn't help but thinking of Lambiel:unsure:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So Kozuka faltered because he was over embitious with difficult choreography and difficult jumps while Brezina faltered because he was too conversative and did stuff too easy for him? :confused2:

I voiced concern about Brezina's stamina and he messed up the last two jumps again just like at last Worlds. He ended up with the second lowest TES for such a great jumper. He was saved by the PCS which is close to Kozuka's.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Shock of the day: Kevin van der Perren almost winning. I'm happy for him though.

The rest was kind of a splatfest, but I was impressed that Dornbush did a quad. Was that his first quad in competition, anyone know? I had never seen him do one before, but I've only seen him skate last season a couple of times so I could have missed it.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Shock of the day: Kevin van der Perren almost winning. I'm happy for him though.

The rest was kind of a splatfest, but I was impressed that Dornbush did a quad. Was that his first quad in competition, anyone know? I had never seen him do one before, but I've only seen him skate last season a couple of times so I could have missed it.

I think Scott and Sandra mentioned it during the NBC broadcast. It looks like it was.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Kevin. I was rooting for him. IMO the color of his medal should have been gold.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Kevin had the least amount of mistakes but Kevin's skating skills are absolutely horrific. Not to mention Kevin didn't have a single clean triple axel, \while Michal had two beautiful triple axels I believe. Two beautiful triple axels cancel out one quad IMO.

Don't get me wrong Michal's skating was lackluster and Kevin deserved to win the free, but this isn't Patrick Chan beating Nobunari Oda with four falls.

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Van der Perren skates and spins so slowly I don't think the jumps (and like bekalc said, no clean 3A) made up for it.