Men's FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's FS

burntBREAD

Medalist
Kozuka's program is going to be beautiful. Brezina's program is not good...too close of PCS to Kozuka's in my opinion, the only thing that he was close in was PE in my opinion.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm used to see a skater win an event by coming in second in both programs but Taka just got handed a bronze for 2/2. Poor guy didn't get the suual break.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So far this has been an underwhelming men's FS competition. All those splatfests really prevent me from enjoying each skater's program as a whole. :no:

I think I enjoyed the first two competitors NBC didn't broadcast (Contesti & Razzano) the best. I saw them at IN; they skated with passion and enthusiasm, and they skated clean!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Brezina was right to blame his coaches, it was a poor decision to have him back off, unless he's injured. And just awful program for a skater of his skills.

Awful, sloppy skating all around. Let's chalk it up to this being the first comp of the season.

I like Terry being more assertive with his opinion and factoids on figure skating, whereas in seasons past he'd play the ingenue a bit more when really, a lot of times, he's more right than the skating veterans commentating with him.

That's one of the problems with the CoP. If you get ahead in the SP, you can coast in the finale and still win.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m thrilled, first time I m watching gp series on real tv since ever and legally and it is even enlish eurosport. :clap:So nice! I m so smiling KVDP medaled. Kozu s program is a poem despite the jumps, the music and his steps were :love:, i m glad I watched it in 32 inces.
Brezina sp is much better than his Lp, and the lp music version and costume are bizarre..
i missed rest skaters..time difference!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Brezina was right to blame his coaches, it was a poor decision to have him back off, unless he's injured. And just awful program for a skater of his skills.

I liked Scott and Sandra's points at the end. "We're ready. We're ready. We're ready. CHANGE EVERYTHING!" (Scott) "To have your skater change their program and play it safe gives the feeling of no confidence in that skater and their abilities." (Sandra) SO TRUE!

And I think Scott really nailed it with the whole Evan thing. It's how I feel about the whole thing. I'm torn.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
That's one of the problems with the CoP. If you get ahead in the SP, you can coast in the finale and still win.

Only if you are way ahead and the others forfeit their chances.

There is one huge problem with 6.0. When you're behind in the Technical Program by 3 places, no matter the margin, it's almost impossible to win even with an overwhelmingly superior Free Skate.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Under the ordinal system, a skater who skates vastly better than his competitors in the SP has no advantage over one who is just barely better. That never seemed very fair to me. I much prefer the COP where clobbering your opponents in points is never a waste.

lavender

Record Breaker
And I think Scott really nailed it with the whole Evan thing. It's how I feel about the whole thing. I'm torn.

I can't believe it but I'm agreeing with Scott and I know he didn't want to burn bridges by saying to much.

Scott's talking to Evan and he's basically telling him to just look to his twitter response...weird.

DancerLily

Rinkside
I would never guess that my first post will be like this, but YAY for Kevin:)) It makes me sad that in skating you're considered a veteran at 25..so nice to see someone doing well even later:)

Only if you are way ahead and the others forfeit their chances.

There is one huge problem with 6.0. When you're behind in the Technical Program by 3 places, no matter the margin, it's almost impossible to win even with an overwhelmingly superior Free Skate.

Under the ordinal system, a skater who skates vastly better than his competitors in the SP has no advantage over one who is just barely better. That never seemed very fair to me. I much prefer the COP where clobbering your opponents in points is never a waste.

I look at it from the point of view of the spectator. No one is going top watch a yawner like this where the only "drama" is whether the leader is so awful that the other guy wins, or whether he is just moderately awful and squeaks out a prize in spite of himself.

I like the model of the semi-finales (SP), with the best going toe to toe in the finals (LP). The CoP model is like the first half of the football game, then the second half.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I know it was sad but, pretending it was a comedy movie, the faces of Murakami and his crabby coach at K&C were hilarious.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I look at it from the point of view of the spectator. No one is going top watch a yawner like this where the only "drama" is whether the leader is so awful that the other guy wins, or whether he is just moderately awful and squeaks out a prize in spite of himself.

Well, a lot of times, fairness in sports or any form of competition means removing randomness, the unexpected. This is true of not just COP figure skating, but many other sports where most of the time, the winners can be predicted. Does that take away the excitement? Maybe. But it still doesn't keep people from being sports fans in general, it seems. The underdog having a bigger hill to climb just makes people cheer harder.

And besides, as people have pointed out, the ordinal system substitutes one bit of certainty for another: any skater out of the top 3 after the SP needs help to come in first overall, no matter how well they skate in the FS. That can be just as discouraging to spectators.

I would never guess that my first post will be like this, but YAY for Kevin:)) It makes me sad that in skating you're considered a veteran at 25..so nice to see someone doing well even later:)

ITA! Yay for KVDP! :clap:

The only thing that could have made it better was if he had kept his skeleton costume from last year. :)

Thanks for joining us and welcome to the forum. Post often, post long!

jcoates

Medalist
Only if the others forfeit their chances.

That was created by the Factored placement system within 6.0. It was not always the case. From 1980-1990 Factored placements were used in combo with figures so that to you had a scoring breakdown much like that which existed when the qualifying rounds were used in late 6.0. That three segment format actually could lead to only all sorts of weird permuatations, from the top 2 only being in contention to multiple places being in the running. Prior to that, scoring as cumulative like it is not through the end of the 1980 season. So a skater's total score in the free skate could lift a skater significantly from a lower placing so long as they were sufficiently close enough overall to the leaders (by points not placement). Also, placements were determined over the course of the competition not staticly set at the end of each segment. So a judge could rank you 3rd in figs, 2nd in the SP and 1st in the LP. Your scores from each segment would be added together for each judge and that would determine you final placement by him or her. Placements of all judges would then be added together and would serve as a tiebreaker.

Look at how the placements bounced around among the judges for the 1980 Men's event.
http://www.winter-olympic-memories....d/13_lake_placid/13_figure/13_figure_m_ex.htm

Hoffman had a significant lead after figures. Under most circumstances he would have won overall. Cousins had to get lights out scores to win. He barely managed in a squeaker. One of the closest in history. Under factored placements, he would not have won. He would have ended up like Orser in 84.

It would be intersting to see how KVP would have finished here using that system.