Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Men's FS

Quote Originally Posted by claphappy View Post
    To me, it seems like it'd be easier to keep up the performance energy and the crowd's interest in the short program exactly because it's shorter.
    I agree. I just don't have the attention span to appreciate most long programs -- is that guy still out there jumping away?

Welcome to the forum! We hope you like it here.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc
    I might be wrong, but I thought that was what people complained about 6.0 system. Aren't there more "in-betweens" under the current system? Patrick Chan is a product of COP and I like what it has produced. I like the fact that he could win with three falls (I'm not being sarcastic), the fact that the elements in between jumps are highly appreciated.
    I wasn't comparing the CoP to 6.0, but rather short programs versus long programs in both systems.

Actually, the phrasing "the elements in between jumps are highly appreciated" sort of supports my point. We never say, "the jumps that skaters use to punctuate and highlight their performances are highly appreciated."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I wasn't comparing the CoP to 6.0, but rather short programs versus long programs in both systems.

Actually, the phrasing "the elements in between jumps are highly appreciated" sort of supports my point. We never say, "the jumps that skaters use to punctuate and highlight their performances are highly appreciated."
    Sorry. It's my bad. I didn't read your original post carefully enough. And you are right. They seem to have flip-flopped if we premise the short is meant for showcasing techniques and long for performance. Is that premise true, though? Were they called "short program" vs. "long program" or something else? Maybe (it is just my guess) the reason they changed the names was to eliminate such premise. They are only different in length and no longer technical vs artistic.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Sorry. It's my bad. I didn't read your original post carefully enough. And you are right. They seem to have flip-flopped if we premise the short is meant for showcasing techniques and long for performance. Is that premise true, though? Were they called "short program" vs. "long program" or something else? Maybe (it is just my guess) the reason they changed the names was to eliminate such premise. They are only different in length and no longer technical vs artistic.
    In older videos they're called "technical programs" and "free skates".

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I'm appreciating Kozuka's program more now than I did at first. He is a very special skater and Nausicaa has such wonderful music, so I think I was too disappointed when the program wasn't what I wanted it to be (an all-time best). It didn't utilize all of the soundtrack cuts I was hoping for and some of the music was altered to a "safer" kind of sound, but some of my preconceptions got in the way of my enjoyment too much at first. While the program may not be a masterpiece, it's still quite beautiful. Considering that Nausicaa is a call for mankind to find peace and harmony, especially with how technology and pollution relate to the natural World, I do find this music cut to be suitable. The program is a gentle reflection rather than the more epic kind of piece I was expecting. In light of the recent natural disaster that Japan has suffered, and how it was exacerbated by mankind's technology, what Kozuka has done here is create a soothing hymn with just enough sense of foreboding.

He really needs to improve the last few moments of the program, though. The music ends on a rather dark, slow, drawn-out note and his movements are too quick and his final position comes too abruptly and too soon before the music has completely ended. Kozuka has a great scratch spin and I'm really happy he goes out of his way to include it in his programs even though CoP doesn't count it as a difficult variation, but it's not appropriate for the end of this program. He should change that spin and add a little bit of choreography afterwards to work with the willowy quality of the music and slowly come to an eventual close in time with the very end of the music.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 10-26-2011 at 03:40 AM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    playing catch up and just watched kvp. i enjoyed his effortless quadtoeloop and that 333 combo but honestly couldn't enjoy much of the rest of the program, he couldn't match the energy of the music especially during the last two spins, i guess each skater has their faults but i question the music choice. goes without saying that it does not help that yagudin's glorious olympic performance keeps coming to mind.
    Last edited by Layfan; 10-26-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10