Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Men's FS

Custom Title
    I know it was sad but, pretending it was a comedy movie, the faces of Murakami and his crabby coach at K&C were hilarious.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I look at it from the point of view of the spectator. No one is going top watch a yawner like this where the only "drama" is whether the leader is so awful that the other guy wins, or whether he is just moderately awful and squeaks out a prize in spite of himself.
    Well, a lot of times, fairness in sports or any form of competition means removing randomness, the unexpected. This is true of not just COP figure skating, but many other sports where most of the time, the winners can be predicted. Does that take away the excitement? Maybe. But it still doesn't keep people from being sports fans in general, it seems. The underdog having a bigger hill to climb just makes people cheer harder.

And besides, as people have pointed out, the ordinal system substitutes one bit of certainty for another: any skater out of the top 3 after the SP needs help to come in first overall, no matter how well they skate in the FS. That can be just as discouraging to spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by DancerLily View Post
    I would never guess that my first post will be like this, but YAY for Kevin) It makes me sad that in skating you're considered a veteran at 25..so nice to see someone doing well even later
    ITA! Yay for KVDP!

The only thing that could have made it better was if he had kept his skeleton costume from last year.

Thanks for joining us and welcome to the forum. Post often, post long!

Banned
    Terrible skate all across the board. Kozuka's program will NOT challenge Chan's LP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Only if the others forfeit their chances.

There is one huge problem with 6.0. When you're behind in the Technical Program by 3 places, no matter the margin, it's almost impossible to win even with an overwhelmingly superior Free Skate.
    That was created by the Factored placement system within 6.0. It was not always the case. From 1980-1990 Factored placements were used in combo with figures so that to you had a scoring breakdown much like that which existed when the qualifying rounds were used in late 6.0. That three segment format actually could lead to only all sorts of weird permuatations, from the top 2 only being in contention to multiple places being in the running. Prior to that, scoring as cumulative like it is not through the end of the 1980 season. So a skater's total score in the free skate could lift a skater significantly from a lower placing so long as they were sufficiently close enough overall to the leaders (by points not placement). Also, placements were determined over the course of the competition not staticly set at the end of each segment. So a judge could rank you 3rd in figs, 2nd in the SP and 1st in the LP. Your scores from each segment would be added together for each judge and that would determine you final placement by him or her. Placements of all judges would then be added together and would serve as a tiebreaker.

Look at how the placements bounced around among the judges for the 1980 Men's event.
    http://www.winter-olympic-memories.c...igure_m_ex.htm

Hoffman had a significant lead after figures. Under most circumstances he would have won overall. Cousins had to get lights out scores to win. He barely managed in a squeaker. One of the closest in history. Under factored placements, he would not have won. He would have ended up like Orser in 84.

It would be intersting to see how KVP would have finished here using that system.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I'm used to see a skater win an event by coming in second in both programs but Taka just got handed a bronze for 2/2. Poor guy didn't get the usual break.
    Quoting myself to continue: In contrast to Kozuka, Dornbush got into 4th place overall with 5/6 placements. You just have to take what Skate God deals you.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Yeah his posture bothers me.

Wow music all the way back to Yagudin days but with out a spectacular Yagudin.
    Makes me want to go and watch Alexei's Olympic performance.

Custom Title
    I love Taka's program!!!! I really hope to see it clean. So, happy for Kevin (kinda wish there was just a little more there so he could win), and I do feel for Brezina - and just hope to see him bring the quads.

So, I had to turn the tv down for a phone call: what did Michal say about his coaches? And what did Scott say about Evan?? Please tell!

PS I have really missed Gannon - so glad to have his commentary!

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Well, a lot of times, fairness in sports or any form of competition means removing randomness, the unexpected. This is true of not just COP figure skating, but many other sports where most of the time, the winners can be predicted. Does that take away the excitement?
    In (American) football, when one team leads another by 50 points at the half, the television audience switches to the game on the other channel, while the live audience leaves at halftime to get a jump on the traffic.

(Then on the drive home, listening on the car radio, you hear that the home team fell apart in the second half and let the other guys catch up. You make a U-turn...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    In (American) football, when one team leads another by 50 points at the half, the television audience switches to the game on the other channel, while the live audience leaves at halftime to get a jump on the traffic.
    actually, these days the network you're watching does it for you. SO FRUSTRATING.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Any scheme I can think of to guarantee closeness in every part of a competition only makes things less fair for the competitors. Maybe it's less hype for the audience, but they will just have to take their lumps. And ultimately I think people respond better to a truly fair and meritocratic competition where being better means you do better, and being a lot better means you do a lot better.

Custom Title
    Didn't expect to write this but Van Der Perren was robbed and should have won Brezina was soo ultra conservative it was embarrassing for him. You expect to beat Patrick Chan doing no quads?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    i like Arnin a lot. The sp was my fav of men.
    KVDP won the free skate! wow, if only for being 29 and his guts to skate to yagudin music
    The athlete who replaced lysacek is nice, first time I saw him!Defenetely happy he skated there!

Wow, that was a really sloppy competition. Kind of a let-down. But good for Kevin and Michal.

Custom Title
    I have to say I agree with this, Kevin made the least mistakes, and Brezina nearly collapsed again in the second half. I'm so happy for Kevin, to think he almost retired after the olympics, and now almost won a GP gold medal, what a turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Didn't expect to write this but Van Der Perren was robbed and should have won Brezina was soo ultra conservative it was embarrassing for him. You expect to beat Patrick Chan doing no quads?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast