Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Men's FS

On the Ice
    Thank you, Mathman I've just seen Dornbush's program and that William Tell part was kind of daring...I couldn't help but thinking of Lambiel

Custom Title
    So Kozuka faltered because he was over embitious with difficult choreography and difficult jumps while Brezina faltered because he was too conversative and did stuff too easy for him?

I voiced concern about Brezina's stamina and he messed up the last two jumps again just like at last Worlds. He ended up with the second lowest TES for such a great jumper. He was saved by the PCS which is close to Kozuka's.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 10-22-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Shock of the day: Kevin van der Perren almost winning. I'm happy for him though.

The rest was kind of a splatfest, but I was impressed that Dornbush did a quad. Was that his first quad in competition, anyone know? I had never seen him do one before, but I've only seen him skate last season a couple of times so I could have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    ...they [the paying audience] will just have to take their lumps.
    Quite so. Quite so.

Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Shock of the day: Kevin van der Perren almost winning. I'm happy for him though.

The rest was kind of a splatfest, but I was impressed that Dornbush did a quad. Was that his first quad in competition, anyone know? I had never seen him do one before, but I've only seen him skate last season a couple of times so I could have missed it.
    I think Scott and Sandra mentioned it during the NBC broadcast. It looks like it was.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aemeraldrainc View Post
    I think Scott and Sandra mentioned it during the NBC broadcast. It looks like it was.
    He landed one in a club comp at the end of summer. This is likely the first one he's done that the ISU will ratify.

Custom Title
    SF, I think you mean base value. His TES was ranked fifth.

Congrats to Kevin. I was rooting for him. IMO the color of his medal should have been gold.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Didn't expect to write this but Van Der Perren was robbed and should have won Brezina was soo ultra conservative it was embarrassing for him. You expect to beat Patrick Chan doing no quads?
    Kevin had the least amount of mistakes but Kevin's skating skills are absolutely horrific. Not to mention Kevin didn't have a single clean triple axel, \while Michal had two beautiful triple axels I believe. Two beautiful triple axels cancel out one quad IMO.

Don't get me wrong Michal's skating was lackluster and Kevin deserved to win the free, but this isn't Patrick Chan beating Nobunari Oda with four falls.
    Last edited by bekalc; 10-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Custom Title
    Van der Perren skates and spins so slowly I don't think the jumps (and like bekalc said, no clean 3A) made up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Van der Perren skates and spins so slowly I don't think the jumps (and like bekalc said, no clean 3A) made up for it.
    I found him slightly better than 'usual' for the slow skating/spins.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Terrible skate all across the board. Kozuka's program will NOT challenge Chan's LP.
    I believe this program, skated cleanly, has the potential to challenge anyone, including Patrick Chan.

Custom Title
    I'm happy for Kevin. He almost won the Gold!!! I know it is a skating competition and he is not that great of a skater, but I'm just so happy that someone with perseverance finally won something.

Custom Title
    What areas should Kozuka improve so that he may fall three times and still win in a not well-skated competition like this? That's a standard he needs to achieve in order to be competitive with Chan. An obvious answer that I know is to rotate the jumps fully even if he falls on them. Now, here comes the part I need enlightenment from the experts: What should he do to improve his PCS so there will be a big enough cushion against his falls? He has a very difficult choreography, but it doesn't seem to bring him more points.

I cannot pinpoint what has been changed in the choreography or performance since Japan Open, his LP actually looks like a keeper to me.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 10-22-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Banned
    I think the continual yap about "Chan's 3-4 falls still win" is kind of insulting to Chan's skating and his effort. He did not win with just 3-4 falls. He won with great skating skill and all other well executed elements.

Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I believe this program, skated cleanly, has the potential to challenge anyone, including Patrick Chan.
    The program has nothing but jumps.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast