Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - FD!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Hubble and Donohue were great! This is by far the best of the four disciplines!

Math, Haven't I been saying that for years?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

It can never be said enough, though!

I hope P/B don't go to SC unless Fabian is fully recovered. No reason to do three GPs if he's sick; better to allow himself time to get better so that they can come back strong for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    does anyone else think that D/Ws FD is a bit juniorish in interpretation? generic? nothing special? highlighted with lifts we've seen millions of times....?
    I'm glad to see other people who don't think that D/W are on the fast track to being the best ever. D/W are fast. So they do difficult things fast. They also do so with little elegance and don't have a great sense for the music (or for relating to each other), not that the judges ever notice. I can't get behind that sort of skating, even if it is difficult; I've given it a shot more than once, but whatever special something people see in them, I don't.

Also, I'm bored with Meryl's Disney princess dresses. I think it contributes to that juniorish feel you get from them - she needs a more mature look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Hubble and Donohue were great! This is by far the best of the four disciplines!

I thought so in 2008-9 - there were exciting teams, veterans and up and comers, and lots of variety in the programs. Also, the Finnstep! Now I find dance dull beyond words and horribly predictable. I'm pretty close to returning to my pre-2008 dance mode of watching my favorite team and then finding something else to do.

I can appreciate that what Meryl & Charlie do is fast and difficult, but their skating leaves me cold!
    I find it destracting that Meryl doesn't bend her knees much, it give the impression that Charlie is bobbing up and down, whilst she is staying in the same position!
    I feel this is an athlete's program rather than a dance program.
    Where is the connection, the dancing, the extended limbs, the elegance, the character, the beautiful dresses?
    There should be way more to dance than well executed tricks!
    Bring back dance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I hope P/B don't go to SC unless Fabian is fully recovered. No reason to do three GPs if he's sick; better to allow himself time to get better so that they can come back strong for the rest of the season.
    Sadly, there is a reason. P&B signed up to do 3 GP's. There is a monetary penalty if they don't do all three. The ISU did not allow any mercy for those who are ill. P&B chose to do 3 instead of 2 GP's because they felt they needed the appearance fees involved; so it is no surprise that they are trying to do all 3 rather than pay a penalty fine. Thank goodness, Fabian will have a chance to heal before TEB.

I don't think that allowing 3 GP's was a good idea at all, particularly when they are limiting each event to only 8 teams. It cuts the number of teams that can participate in the GP.

Custom Title
    Sadly, there is a reason. P&B signed up to do 3 GP's. There is a monetary penalty if they don't do all three. The ISU did not allow any mercy for those who are ill. P&B chose to do 3 instead of 2 GP's because they felt they needed the appearance fees involved; so it is no surprise that they are trying to do all 3 rather than pay a penalty fine. Thank goodness, Fabian will have a chance to heal before TEB.

I don't think that allowing 3 GP's was a good idea at all, particularly when they are limiting each event to only 8 teams. It cuts the number of teams that can participate in the GP.

Weaver/Poje were also scheduled initially for 3 events, however they cancelled one. Was there a time constraint to make a change to your initial options?

herios, I don't know. And I can't get the ISU site up today for some reason. I suspect you are correct, and there was a time limit to back out. Do you recall whether Bobrova & Soloviev are doing 2 or 3 events? I know D&W, V&M and the Shibs are not. Only the top 6 teams had the option.

Surely if they withdraw for medical reasons they won't incur a fine? Assuming it's cleared by an acceptable medical authority, I can't imagine the ISU telling skaters to skate if they are unhealthy. Lynn Rutherford tweeted that she'd never seen a skater look so sick at a press conference. I don't even know how they got through the FD.

Sorry. That's how it is. That's what Fabian said in the interview.

Sorry. That's how it is. That's what Fabian said in the interview.
    I'm surprised, because ISU documents specifically state that skaters are allowed to withdraw for medical reasons if they have proper documentation. I do know that he's had trouble with getting treatment because the medication he needs would show up on a doping test.

ETA: The relevant section on skaters doing three events is on page 7 here. I can't figure out what exactly it means, because I can't find the full text of rule 140 (5).
    Last edited by Buttercup; 10-23-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Custom Title
    Weaver/Poje are doing two GP after all?
    Bobrova/Soloviev are doing 2,as far as I remember.One must be Cup of Russia...

I've always thought that doing 3 events wasn't going to be that easy.Especially doing back to back events as P/B are scheduled to do.

Custom Title
    Bourzat did say that he checked with doping and the meds he is currently taking are okay. Unfortunately he won't have much time to recover having to go to Canada in a few days. There they will meet Virtue & Moir and unlikely to win that event. In Paris they meet Virtue & Moir again instead of say the Shibutani's where they could have a better chance at winning.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    ETA: The relevant section on skaters doing three events is on page 7 here. I can't figure out what exactly it means, because I can't find the full text of rule 140 (5).
    Rule 7

Further to point 2.1. a) the skaters/teams who have chosen to skate 3 events, will receive their prize money
    in the usual way, paid by each organizer according to their placements. Should a seeded skater/couple not
    complete the third event for any reason, the equivalent of 20% of the total prize money, that the
    skater/couple has received in the first two events, must be reimbursed to the ISU or will be deducted from
    the next possible contribution of the ISU to the Member of the skater/couple concerned. If the reason for
    withdrawal from the third event is medical, then for this reason and this alone Rule 140, paragraph 5 shall
    apply.
    Rule 140 (5)
    5. a) In the case a Skater is withdrawn for injury or illness a Medical
    Certificate is required to be submitted to the ISU as provided by ISU
    Regulations, Communications or Announcements;

b) The Certificate must be issued on the stationary of a Medical Doctor or
    on an ISU withdrawal notification form in case of in-competition
    withdrawal and duly signed by the Skater and the Medical Doctor.
    If the certificate is not in English a translation signed by the President
    or General Secretary of the Member of respective Skater must be
    attached;

c) In addition, upon request of the Chair of the Sports Directorate, the
    Certificate must be received by the ISU within 72 hours after the notice
    of withdrawal, and the Member or the Skater must include or attach the
    following additional information:

i) the history which clearly indicates the date of injury or date of
    onset of illness, the type of injury or illness and severity of
    injury or illness as well as the physical findings on
    examination;

ii) copies of laboratory or radiological reports that were
    conducted in the investigation of the injury/illness;

iii) the recommended treatment by the physician including
    medications, therapy, advice on training frequency and
    intensity, date for follow-up examination (a copy of this
    assessment should then be forwarded to the ISU), expected
    date of return to full activity, planned further investigations
    and/or criteria for return to full activity.

Custom Title
    Yeah, I think P/B need to play or they'll pay. The rule Buttercup linked to states "for ANY reason" (emphasis mine).

So, what's the financial hit they'll take?

Three Silvers + bonus = $49,000
    Two silvers + bronze + bonus = $45,000
    Two silvers - 10% penalty = $23,400

Weaver/Poje still listed for three, btw.

Furthermore, that was a reason cited by Tessa & Scott in an interview for why they did not wish to do 3 GP's: they didn't want to pay the penalty if there were medical problems.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast