Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Ice Dance - FD!

Okay, even by ISU standards, that's ridiculous. I'm fine with requiring skaters to commit at the time of the GP draw, but skaters cannot control their health and it is ludicrous to punish them for having medical problems. What happens if someone has a serious injury? Or comes down with a very infectious disease? Obviously in such a situation the skater would not compete, and would have bigger things to worry about, but it is inappropriate to punish them as the ISU is trying to.

No bonus is fair, you shouldn't earn money for something you don't do. But making skaters forfeit part of their winnings, which they have earned by their own hard work as a fine - that's just wrong. Athletes should not be compelled to compete if they're sick or injured. Period. It is completely irresponsible for the ISU to push such a policy.

I wonder what happens if the withdrawal is in the middle of an event rather than before.

I don't know if is juts me but i was wating for masterpiece from D/W. It was waltzy, it was fast, light and clean but it was pretty Nothing really difereni and inovating , not even the lifts.

Davis and White held my attention all the way through. So did Hubbell and Donahue.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Okay, even by ISU standards, that's ridiculous. I'm fine with requiring skaters to commit at the time of the GP draw, but skaters cannot control their health and it is ludicrous to punish them for having medical problems. What happens if someone has a serious injury? Or comes down with a very infectious disease? Obviously in such a situation the skater would not compete, and would have bigger things to worry about, but it is inappropriate to punish them as the ISU is trying to.

No bonus is fair, you shouldn't earn money for something you don't do. But making skaters forfeit part of their winnings, which they have earned by their own hard work as a fine - that's just wrong. Athletes should not be compelled to compete if they're sick or injured. Period. It is completely irresponsible for the ISU to push such a policy.

I wonder what happens if the withdrawal is in the middle of an event rather than before.
    I 100% agree. I think the way the ISU messed around with the GP circuit is ridiculous and this is just terrible. I would hope that P/B miraculously get better (bronchitis sucks, trust me) so they can compete and not take the financial hit, but I hate that they have to think like that. But of course, the ISU doesn't really care all that much about the skaters.

L'amour, I largely agree. I basically stopped watching after two minutes. I rewatched the whole thing eventually, of course, but it didn't really cast a spell over me. I don't know how much of that is me and how much of that is them, though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Weaver/Poje were also scheduled initially for 3 events, however they cancelled one. Was there a time constraint to make a change to your initial options?
    Weaver / Poje are still listed on the rosters of 3 events: Skate Canada, NHK and Cup of Russia.
    Their names appear on the rosters for each event; the ice dance all-Ice Dance chart; and the results matrix.

Maybe they considered withdrawing but didn't do it because of the penalty.

And if they HAD withdrawn from NHK or CoR, there would have been time for the host to choose a substitute team. That hasn't happened.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Perhaps Zhiganshina/Gaszi and Paul/Islam ought to trade free dances? I can see Z/G portraying that type of storyline better, just as I can see P/I portraying Romeo+Juliet better. In fact, the last time a team of any kind attempted abusive relationships on the ice was a German pairs team in 1999:

http://youtu.be/RoevkgvJPZw

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    You know, that might work (P/I do modern Romeo & Juliet, Z&G do abusive relationship).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Davis and White held my attention all the way through. So did Hubbell and Donahue.
    Both teams have "it"...that special something that commands attention on the ice. Last season I remember being a bit disappointed with D&W only because I wanted to see their 2010 programs again (which was dumb but those two programs were incredible IMO). This year's SD and FD are great (especially amazing is their SD for me because I dislike any Latin dance/music in ice dancing...usually find it too noisy & frenetic). Hubbell & Donohue just came out blockbusters - nothing hesitant about this brand new team. They're fun and I'm also looking forward to seeing what they come up with (choreo/music) in the future.

meem, Were you at the competition live? If so, how I envy you!

The FD & Men's 2nd half are now up on IN.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattieu View Post
    I can appreciate that what Meryl & Charlie do is fast and difficult, but their skating leaves me cold!
    I find it destracting that Meryl doesn't bend her knees much, it give the impression that Charlie is bobbing up and down, whilst she is staying in the same position!
    I feel this is an athlete's program rather than a dance program.
    Where is the connection, the dancing, the extended limbs, the elegance, the character, the beautiful dresses?
    There should be way more to dance than well executed tricks!
    Bring back dance!!!
    You must be thinking of another couple.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by L'amour View Post
    I don't know if is juts me but i was wating for masterpiece from D/W. It was waltzy, it was fast, light and clean but it was pretty Nothing really difereni and inovating , not even the lifts.
    Three lifts were brand new - the opening lift and the "ballerina" split lift. The others were variations of a lift they used last year. And I think it is a masterpiece - a classic grand waltz with a light airy feel and great speed. So far no one has gotten a higher score for their FD. I saw it live, so perhaps I appreciate it more.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7