Ice Dance - FD! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD!

jcoates

Medalist
I can't believe they got 107 + for a "safe" waltz when they struggled and struggled last year to convince the judges with that insanely difficult and challenging tango last year. It is getting a little old the way the Zueva/Shiplband camp keeps returning to these "type" dances, quickstep, tango, waltz...why not do a theme or a narrative more than a dance style?

Davis and White can handle more than this program.
Safe has nothing to do with it. Besides, Die Fledermaus is an operetta. It does have a story and they stated in their pre-comp interview that the dance does follow the story. Plus, their orginial program was meant to have an entirely manufactured story applied to the soundtrack of a movie witha story of its own. It proved confusing so the switched to a story and music that is more straightforward and digestible.

It's crazy hard and matches their skills more naturally than the tango did. Plus there is no ambiguity about this program fitting the direction the current rules intend. Marina and Igor create programs to suit the rules of the time from the start rather than choreographing in the abstract and then tweaking the program to barely fit the rules. The results are indisputable. They were not crafting these type of dances two seasons ago because the rules called for something different. The ISU wants real dancing at the moment, instead of performance art or theatre. Happens every five to seven years. Just a reset in priorities.

I would never compare D/W to K/P. A whole different universe...

I agree that K/P were more refined and precise that D/W. But that aspect is improving noticeably with Meryl and Charlie. Where they are quite similar is in how the separate themselves from the competition by doing insanely hard programs.

My post about My Fair Lady was acutally a reference to it being a beautiful, uplifting piece music applied a very hard dance which wonderfully executed and leaves you smiling from beginning to end.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
D/W: That was fast. It suits them perfectly. They skated it well. They earned a tonne on GOE. The rotational lift was a highlight. They could be world champions this year.

P/B: I really liked it. Wierd. Technically, you see just how far behind the top teams they are (their linking footwork in particular)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Shoutouts to D/W's rotational lift at the end! That was off tha hizzle! They were spinning so fast I thought her eyeballs would shoot out like a Nerf toy. And they pulled it off without losing position or control for a second. Of all the currently competing ice dancing teams I've seen, only Virtue/Moir could challenge them, although I'd love to be surprised.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Shoutouts to D/W's rotational lift at the end! That was off tha hizzle! They were spinning so fast I thought her eyeballs would shoot out like a Nerf toy. And they pulled it off without losing position or control for a second. Of all the currently competing ice dancing teams I've seen, only Virtue/Moir could challenge them, although I'd love to be surprised.

Don't think so. D/W is in a whole other league now and they seem to be getting better, while to me it seems Tessa and Scott are regressing technically. Scott is still one helluva dancer, Tessa on the other hand ehhh..... and she is getting bigger. Just look at all the little details in D/W programs. V/M cannot do that.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Davis and White are skating with a confidence and a joy that Virtue and Moir are lacking thus far. That said, March is a long time away, but somehow Marlie don't seem to be playing catch up anymore.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Don't think so. D/W is in a whole other league now and they seem to be getting better, while to me it seems Tessa and Scott are regressing technically. Scott is still one helluva dancer, Tessa on the other hand ehhh..... and she is getting bigger. Just look at all the little details in D/W programs. V/M cannot do that.

Really?? That's a rather unnecessarily nasty comment. These teams have different strengths, and they have great coaches/choreographers that know how to highlight those strengths while pushing them to improve their "weaknesses" (I don't think either team has many of those). Why can't we enjoy and appreciate both teams? Regressing technically is laughable. Tessa and Scott and Meryl and Charlie together are continuing to push the bounds of the sport from a technical perspective. And this idea of slamming Tessa for "getting bigger" has got to stop. There is no reason for this nastiness. It's been discussed to great length in other threads, and now needs to stop. She looks gorgeous, like the mature young woman she is. She looks strong, confident, and healthy, and as they said in one of their interviews, taking care of their bodies is important for their longevity in the sport. Besides, those curves make her even hotter. They are perfectly sized for each other, and always have been. That doesn't happen very often with teams that start skating together as babies. I really hope that Tessa stays where she is size-wise, and continues to be strong and healthy. As for details, Scott and Tessa have 2 programs packed with interesting musical highlights and details. And they have unmatched unison, line, and edge. It's going to be a wonderful season for the fans. Those 2 teams are going to be the top of the world for the forseeable future. Which order they finish will depend on which team skates clean in each competition. And if both skate clean, my vote is for Tessa and Scott. They have a musicality to their skating that is unparalleled, a deep connection with each other, and simply superb quality skating skills. And there is nothing wrong with others having differing opinions. But let's see how the season develops, and enjoy the ride, and stop with personal nasty digs at skaters.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Nothing nasty. just an observation. The woman is getting bigger. Nothing wrong with that. It's like saying someone cut their hair. If thats what we see, thats what we see.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Of course, given that in another post, you used a word generally used as a perjorative phrase associated with slaves exhibited in freak shows, one might doubt your intent.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Of course, given that in another post, you used a word generally used as a perjorative phrase associated with slaves exhibited in freak shows, one might doubt your intent.

No bad intentions meant, just an observation. Hey like someone said earlier to them Meryl skates like a man. I disagree, but i'm not going to argue against what they see from their own eyes. If they see a man on the ice, thats just what they see. Nothing wrong with that. That's one beautiful, pretty *** man though!

Last edited by a moderator:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I loved Pechalat/Bourzat's FD and I'd like to see it done when Fabian doesn't have bronchitis.

Ralph/Hill have really improved.. I think they're legit challengers for that third spot at nationals now and with the way Paul and Islam have been skating lately, may just take it.

I'm surprised Tobias/Stagniunas beat Zhiganshina/Gazsi for the bronze medal, but it just shows how much you can improve in one season when coached by Shpilband and Zoueva. :p Granted, Z/G's program isn't exactly a masterpiece.. I think they should change it.

Davis and White were leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the field. I like this program better than their FD from last season, although I think I still prefer Phantom.

CassAgain

On the Ice
I liked P/B's dance more than I thought I would after seeing the costumes. By the end of the dance, I kind of liked hers, even. There were parts of the program I thought were pretty corny, but there was a lot of good there. As a work in progress, I think it has potential.

I loved Meryl and Charlie's and look forward to see it develop over the season. LOVE the polka section.

KKonas

Medalist
It was an interesting competition. Feel bad for Bourzat but he did look a little better today. They did play it safe skated to conserve energy as they knew they just had to avoid errors and they would hold onto a medal. The Germans program is dreary and depressing, so not surprised to see them drop. Paul & Islam did better but that's not saying much. They are slow and weaker skaters overall. Ralph & Hill will easily beat them at Canadians. Hubbell & Donahue actually were 3rd in the FD but it didn't do them much good as they remained 6th. The Lithuanians had a fun program and were over the moon to have won bronze. Davis & White were magnificent. Level 4s for all but the two footwork sequences. Got an instant standing ovation. I am sure the program will continue to improve. GOEs were also high for so early in the season. This is a great program for them.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
It was an interesting competition. Feel bad for Bourzat but he did look a little better today. They did play it safe skated to conserve energy as they knew they just had to avoid errors and they would hold onto a medal. The Germans program is dreary and depressing, so not surprised to see them drop. Paul & Islam did better but that's not saying much. They are slow and weaker skaters overall. Ralph & Hill will easily beat them at Canadians. Hubbell & Donahue actually were 3rd in the FD but it didn't do them much good as they remained 6th. The Lithuanians had a fun program and were over the moon to have won bronze. Davis & White were magnificent. Level 4s for all but the two footwork sequences. Got an instant standing ovation. I am sure the program will continue to improve. GOEs were also high for so early in the season. This is a great program for them.

Yup. Exactly. I wish the other new American dance team was here though instead Hubbell. They would have won bronze easily. Instead they are at Skate Canada next week where they don't have snowballs chance in hell at a medal.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I hope P/B don't go to SC unless Fabian is fully recovered. No reason to do three GPs if he's sick; better to allow himself time to get better so that they can come back strong for the rest of the season.

does anyone else think that D/Ws FD is a bit juniorish in interpretation? generic? nothing special? highlighted with lifts we've seen millions of times....?
I'm glad to see other people who don't think that D/W are on the fast track to being the best ever. D/W are fast. So they do difficult things fast. They also do so with little elegance and don't have a great sense for the music (or for relating to each other), not that the judges ever notice. I can't get behind that sort of skating, even if it is difficult; I've given it a shot more than once, but whatever special something people see in them, I don't.

Also, I'm bored with Meryl's Disney princess dresses. I think it contributes to that juniorish feel you get from them - she needs a more mature look.

Hubble and Donohue were great! :love: This is by far the best of the four disciplines!
;)
Math, Haven't I been saying that for years?
I thought so in 2008-9 - there were exciting teams, veterans and up and comers, and lots of variety in the programs. Also, the Finnstep! Now I find dance dull beyond words and horribly predictable. I'm pretty close to returning to my pre-2008 dance mode of watching my favorite team and then finding something else to do.

Mattieu

Medalist
I can appreciate that what Meryl & Charlie do is fast and difficult, but their skating leaves me cold!
I find it destracting that Meryl doesn't bend her knees much, it give the impression that Charlie is bobbing up and down, whilst she is staying in the same position!
I feel this is an athlete's program rather than a dance program.
Where is the connection, the dancing, the extended limbs, the elegance, the character, the beautiful dresses?
There should be way more to dance than well executed tricks!
Bring back dance!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope P/B don't go to SC unless Fabian is fully recovered. No reason to do three GPs if he's sick; better to allow himself time to get better so that they can come back strong for the rest of the season.

Sadly, there is a reason. P&B signed up to do 3 GP's. There is a monetary penalty if they don't do all three. The ISU did not allow any mercy for those who are ill. P&B chose to do 3 instead of 2 GP's because they felt they needed the appearance fees involved; so it is no surprise that they are trying to do all 3 rather than pay a penalty fine. Thank goodness, Fabian will have a chance to heal before TEB.

I don't think that allowing 3 GP's was a good idea at all, particularly when they are limiting each event to only 8 teams. It cuts the number of teams that can participate in the GP.