Ice Dance - FD! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD!

Final Flight
does anyone else think that D/Ws FD is a bit juniorish in interpretation? generic? nothing special? highlighted with lifts we've seen millions of times....?

it's beautiful but a bit underwhelming

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
they sold the program...she looks amazing. but is this a world championship program?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
This FD plays more to Charlie's strength of understated elegance, control and quickness more than Meryl's. She could have more elegant lines and less ta-da flourishes to her movements. But still, I like what they're going for here: a sophisticated waltz done at breakneck speed with tons of complexities.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie win it (honestly, not a surprise) by 22 points! Pechalat and Bourzat solidly in second, 24 points over Tobias/Stagniunas of Lithuania (wow, they medalled! Great for them!).

3-6 are literally 1.54 points apart, wow. Could have been any of T/S, Z/G of Germany, Ralph/Hill of Canada, and Hubbell/Donohue of the US. Madison and Zach even got 3rd overall in the FD! Had they not got the 1 pt deduction, they'd have had the bronze.

jcoates

Medalist
I have to say, that was a wonderful, light, beautifully paced FD. Was anyone else toe tapping by the time they got the polka section? Great score to start the season.

It perfectly suits them as a team and highlights all of their best traits as well as their personalities. Nothing feels applied or like a role they are stepping into. Shocking how sharp and crisp it looks after such a short time of preparation.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just had a broad smile on my face from the beginning to the end of their program. They rocked!! :) :)

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Davis and White just elevated the sport... If they skate clean, no one comes close. There is just so much difficulty and subtleties in their programs.. I think even sometimes they take too much risk.

missysays

On the Ice
I really liked Pechalat/Bourzat's program! I was surprised by how much- the shapes they created in steps and lifts were really cool! I even liked Nathalie's costume. Fabian's muscle shirt looks really hokey though- they'll have to re-think that. But really nice- hopefully he'll have a chance to recover so they can pace themselves through the rest of the season.

I can see how the theme for D/W's FD really suits them but they need more time with the program. They also need to learn how to listen to the music and really articulate certain moves within it and really pause, emphasize and hold out some of the moves and moments in a more definite controlled way. There are moments in the first half of the program where Meryl does these little running toe steps- if she really emphasized and articulated the movement a little more, those moves would really have more impact and draw the audience in. And if Charlie presented her more at these points then it would emphasize them even more. There's also a moment when it moves into the polka where they face each other and then the audience and pause before moving into the polka section that could be really synced up and more controlled- that could be a big audience reaction moment- and it got some applause and cheers but it almost felt the audience wanted to be revved up as the music was building but the movements didn't quite give the audience the release to be able to fully respond. It's almost like they need to do some musical interpretation run-throughs and take all the lifts and spins out so they really understand how to just time the steps and interlinking movements to the music. One final nit-pick- Charlie seemed to be looking out and posing for the judges just a bit too much. This is a promising program but right now for me it's more promise than fulfilled program. But it could be magical if they can interpret the music more fully.

Look forward to the rest of the season.

P. S. Charlie needs to shave on the FD day. Scruff that you can barely see doesn't work with Strauss waltzes.;)

Last edited:

apple123

On the Ice
Seems everyone is drinking the D/W kool-aid. I have to say they are fast and light, difficult elements and all, but their posture and extension still leaves a bit to be desired. And I may be the first one to say this, but Meryl sometimes dance like a man, why the legs have to be so open, the knees so apart? You know what I mean?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I can't believe they got 107 + for a "safe" waltz when they struggled and struggled last year to convince the judges with that insanely difficult and challenging tango last year. It is getting a little old the way the Zueva/Shiplband camp keeps returning to these "type" dances, quickstep, tango, waltz...why not do a theme or a narrative more than a dance style?

Davis and White can handle more than this program.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Paul/Islam looked much better today. I mean, they looked tentative, but after yesterday I think that's understandable. Liked the program. They got hammered on the levels for the step sequences, so I guess that will need improvement, but every other element was a 4. I just think that they need more time with both programs, time that the injury hasn't given them. Can't wait to see them again at NHK.

I found Hubbell/Donaghue a little generic, but they've got potential. Good technical skills for only having been together a few months.

Loved Ralph/Hill's music and choreo, and I felt that they have improved a lot this year. Their technique still needs some work, though.

As for Pechelat/Bourzat, I love them, but this program just didn't do it for me. I'm all for innovation, but that just looked like a lot of posing with their hands in an "Egyptian" position. Lifts and other elements were stunning, it just didn't flow for me. Maybe the theme will come across beter when they are both healthy.

Really liked Davis/White's program. I still wish that they would connect with each other more, but this style seemed to compensate for the lack of connection. They were surprisingly elegant. Impressive.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
And I may be the first one to say this, but Meryl sometimes dance like a man, why the legs have to be so open, the knees so apart? You know what I mean?

I do. Not that I thought she was dancing like a man, but her positions and lines aren't very refined sometimes, which goes against the theme of the FD. She needs to practice how to be a snooty debutante.

CassAgain

On the Ice
Ralph and Hill were absolutely gorgeous. Love this team!

To Z/G: If you have a receding hair line, you're probably too old to pull off Romeo and Juliet.