Ice Dance - FD! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD!

herios

Medalist
Sadly, there is a reason. P&B signed up to do 3 GP's. There is a monetary penalty if they don't do all three. The ISU did not allow any mercy for those who are ill. P&B chose to do 3 instead of 2 GP's because they felt they needed the appearance fees involved; so it is no surprise that they are trying to do all 3 rather than pay a penalty fine. Thank goodness, Fabian will have a chance to heal before TEB.

I don't think that allowing 3 GP's was a good idea at all, particularly when they are limiting each event to only 8 teams. It cuts the number of teams that can participate in the GP.

Weaver/Poje were also scheduled initially for 3 events, however they cancelled one. Was there a time constraint to make a change to your initial options?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
herios, I don't know. And I can't get the ISU site up today for some reason. I suspect you are correct, and there was a time limit to back out. Do you recall whether Bobrova & Soloviev are doing 2 or 3 events? I know D&W, V&M and the Shibs are not. Only the top 6 teams had the option.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sadly, there is a reason. P&B signed up to do 3 GP's. There is a monetary penalty if they don't do all three. The ISU did not allow any mercy for those who are ill. P&B chose to do 3 instead of 2 GP's because they felt they needed the appearance fees involved; so it is no surprise that they are trying to do all 3 rather than pay a penalty fine. Thank goodness, Fabian will have a chance to heal before TEB.
Surely if they withdraw for medical reasons they won't incur a fine? Assuming it's cleared by an acceptable medical authority, I can't imagine the ISU telling skaters to skate if they are unhealthy. Lynn Rutherford tweeted that she'd never seen a skater look so sick at a press conference. I don't even know how they got through the FD.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sorry. That's how it is. That's what Fabian said in the interview.
I'm surprised, because ISU documents specifically state that skaters are allowed to withdraw for medical reasons if they have proper documentation. I do know that he's had trouble with getting treatment because the medication he needs would show up on a doping test.

ETA: The relevant section on skaters doing three events is on page 7 here. I can't figure out what exactly it means, because I can't find the full text of rule 140 (5).

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight
Weaver/Poje are doing two GP after all?
Bobrova/Soloviev are doing 2,as far as I remember.One must be Cup of Russia...

I've always thought that doing 3 events wasn't going to be that easy.Especially doing back to back events as P/B are scheduled to do.

KKonas

Medalist
Bourzat did say that he checked with doping and the meds he is currently taking are okay. Unfortunately he won't have much time to recover having to go to Canada in a few days. There they will meet Virtue & Moir and unlikely to win that event. In Paris they meet Virtue & Moir again instead of say the Shibutani's where they could have a better chance at winning.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
ETA: The relevant section on skaters doing three events is on page 7 here. I can't figure out what exactly it means, because I can't find the full text of rule 140 (5).

Rule 7

Further to point 2.1. a) the skaters/teams who have chosen to skate 3 events, will receive their prize money
in the usual way, paid by each organizer according to their placements. Should a seeded skater/couple not
complete the third event for any reason, the equivalent of 20% of the total prize money, that the
skater/couple has received in the first two events, must be reimbursed to the ISU or will be deducted from
the next possible contribution of the ISU to the Member of the skater/couple concerned. If the reason for
withdrawal from the third event is medical, then for this reason and this alone Rule 140, paragraph 5 shall
apply.

Rule 140 (5)
5. a) In the case a Skater is withdrawn for injury or illness a Medical
Certificate is required to be submitted to the ISU as provided by ISU
Regulations, Communications or Announcements;

b) The Certificate must be issued on the stationary of a Medical Doctor or
on an ISU withdrawal notification form in case of in-competition
withdrawal and duly signed by the Skater and the Medical Doctor.
If the certificate is not in English a translation signed by the President
or General Secretary of the Member of respective Skater must be
attached;

c) In addition, upon request of the Chair of the Sports Directorate, the
Certificate must be received by the ISU within 72 hours after the notice
of withdrawal, and the Member or the Skater must include or attach the
following additional information:

i) the history which clearly indicates the date of injury or date of
onset of illness, the type of injury or illness and severity of
injury or illness as well as the physical findings on
examination;

ii) copies of laboratory or radiological reports that were
conducted in the investigation of the injury/illness;

iii) the recommended treatment by the physician including
medications, therapy, advice on training frequency and
intensity, date for follow-up examination (a copy of this
assessment should then be forwarded to the ISU), expected
date of return to full activity, planned further investigations
and/or criteria for return to full activity.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, I think P/B need to play or they'll pay. The rule Buttercup linked to states "for ANY reason" (emphasis mine).

So, what's the financial hit they'll take?

Three Silvers + bonus = $49,000
Two silvers + bronze + bonus = $45,000
Two silvers - 10% penalty = $23,400

Weaver/Poje still listed for three, btw.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Furthermore, that was a reason cited by Tessa & Scott in an interview for why they did not wish to do 3 GP's: they didn't want to pay the penalty if there were medical problems.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Okay, even by ISU standards, that's ridiculous. I'm fine with requiring skaters to commit at the time of the GP draw, but skaters cannot control their health and it is ludicrous to punish them for having medical problems. What happens if someone has a serious injury? Or comes down with a very infectious disease? Obviously in such a situation the skater would not compete, and would have bigger things to worry about, but it is inappropriate to punish them as the ISU is trying to.

No bonus is fair, you shouldn't earn money for something you don't do. But making skaters forfeit part of their winnings, which they have earned by their own hard work as a fine - that's just wrong. Athletes should not be compelled to compete if they're sick or injured. Period. It is completely irresponsible for the ISU to push such a policy.

I wonder what happens if the withdrawal is in the middle of an event rather than before.

L'amour

On the Ice
I don't know if is juts me but i was wating for masterpiece from D/W. It was waltzy, it was fast, light and clean but it was pretty :think: Nothing really difereni and inovating , not even the lifts.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, even by ISU standards, that's ridiculous. I'm fine with requiring skaters to commit at the time of the GP draw, but skaters cannot control their health and it is ludicrous to punish them for having medical problems. What happens if someone has a serious injury? Or comes down with a very infectious disease? Obviously in such a situation the skater would not compete, and would have bigger things to worry about, but it is inappropriate to punish them as the ISU is trying to.

No bonus is fair, you shouldn't earn money for something you don't do. But making skaters forfeit part of their winnings, which they have earned by their own hard work as a fine - that's just wrong. Athletes should not be compelled to compete if they're sick or injured. Period. It is completely irresponsible for the ISU to push such a policy.

I wonder what happens if the withdrawal is in the middle of an event rather than before.

I 100% agree. I think the way the ISU messed around with the GP circuit is ridiculous and this is just terrible. I would hope that P/B miraculously get better (bronchitis sucks, trust me) so they can compete and not take the financial hit, but I hate that they have to think like that. But of course, the ISU doesn't really care all that much about the skaters.

L'amour, I largely agree. I basically stopped watching after two minutes. I rewatched the whole thing eventually, of course, but it didn't really cast a spell over me. I don't know how much of that is me and how much of that is them, though.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weaver/Poje were also scheduled initially for 3 events, however they cancelled one. Was there a time constraint to make a change to your initial options?

Weaver / Poje are still listed on the rosters of 3 events: Skate Canada, NHK and Cup of Russia.
Their names appear on the rosters for each event; the ice dance all-Ice Dance chart; and the results matrix.

Maybe they considered withdrawing but didn't do it because of the penalty.

And if they HAD withdrawn from NHK or CoR, there would have been time for the host to choose a substitute team. That hasn't happened.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Perhaps Zhiganshina/Gaszi and Paul/Islam ought to trade free dances? I can see Z/G portraying that type of storyline better, just as I can see P/I portraying Romeo+Juliet better. In fact, the last time a team of any kind attempted abusive relationships on the ice was a German pairs team in 1999:

http://youtu.be/RoevkgvJPZw

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You know, that might work (P/I do modern Romeo & Juliet, Z&G do abusive relationship).

meem

On the Ice
Davis and White held my attention all the way through. So did Hubbell and Donahue. :clap: :clap:

Both teams have "it"...that special something that commands attention on the ice. Last season I remember being a bit disappointed with D&W only because I wanted to see their 2010 programs again (which was dumb but those two programs were incredible IMO). This year's SD and FD are great (especially amazing is their SD for me because I dislike any Latin dance/music in ice dancing...usually find it too noisy & frenetic). Hubbell & Donohue just came out blockbusters - nothing hesitant about this brand new team. They're fun and I'm also looking forward to seeing what they come up with (choreo/music) in the future.