Pairs' Short Program | Golden Skate

Pairs' Short Program

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Hao (male) Zhang had a red streak in his hair. Oddly daring.

Mary Beth Marley looks VERY young skating alongside John.

The announcer stuttered announcing John Coughlin's fun facts, which made me laugh ("John Coughlin enjoys... pause...[/url] speedwalking and Sudoku!")

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Denney/Coughlin: LOVELY triple twist. Gorgeous. Atrocious music cut. Timing issues on SBS triples but landed. Long, drawn out step sequence but not horrible or army flaily. Another bad cut. Lift with mediocre position. How are they sucking the life out of this music with these cuts. Throw triple that was off in the air, but landed. Seriously, this music cut is terrible. Nice death spiral. Whatever pairs spin.

This is a textbook case of a team being less than the sum of their parts, but they were clean and should score well. Both are happy. But whoever cut this music together should be spoken to severely.

Oh my. I love this couple. Just the way they skated out, the way they look at each other, the joy they project... and then there's the on-the-edge quality, the way she saved that throw, how close she was to the ice in the death spiral, the height of the twist... wow. I love them!

ETA: I forgot to mention: Caydee's new elegance. Honestly, with that and her daredevil quality, she could be the successor to Xue Shen. No higher praise exists!

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Going in KnC, John mentions she might have touched her head on the ice during the death spiral. Showed a replay of that triple twist, and it really was a beauty.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Woah...wait Scott Hamilton and Terry Gannon is now commentating on Ice Network. hm??? Then Tonia and that other guy comes back. Weird.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
ETA: I forgot to mention: Caydee's new elegance. Honestly, with that and her daredevil quality, she could be the successor to Xue Shen. No higher praise exists!

Seriously? The elegance seems so fake to me, though I'll agree with you about the daredevil quality.

V/B were worse element for element, but I prefered their program and pairness. They also had a music cut that wasn't horrible.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The weird half-smiles D/C had the whole program were really awkward to me...almost creepy.

I know! They were so clearly trying to have a "moment" and it didn't work for me.

Marley/Brubaker were really good, though. Loved the energy throughout. She looked nervous beforehand, but either wasn't or got over it when the music started because she sold that program.

They were fabulous (Marley & Brubaker) only it looks like a man-child combo. She's like a cross of Shirley Temple and Judy Garland - a child who knows how to sell it. Amazing lift and in general, great unison and power.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Totally dig Mary Beth & Rockne's program. I felt they were much faster and the program was better choreographed. But that hand down on the Lutz may hurt...
56.16. Not bad.