Pairs' Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs' Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I still think they'll win but this has been a really wierd event so far.

There seems to be a lot of risk taking in this competition between Kozu going for a 4T in the SP and obviously S/S going for the 3A throw. Can't blame them for trying though.

lavender

Record Breaker
They are still ahead of the pack...look how close the scores are to people that were clean or cleaner. Wow they actually still have a chance to win the whole thing.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals!

Z/Z was just about perfect. Only -1 negative GOE for their combination spin.
D/C got all positive GOE but got lower PCS (which is about right)
B/L besides the fall, they were solid with all their levels. Plus solid PCS.
M-T/M got some -GOE for the triple twist and combo spin.
S/S -- WOW they said the 3A was fully-rotated, but obviouly got docked the normal -3 for the fall. Also got negative GOE on the two following elements.
M/B -- got negative GOE in triple twist and the obvioulsy the handown on the lutz throw. They only got a level 1 for their step sequence.
V/B -- negative GOE on throw. and a level 2 step sequence
H/W- well negative goe everywhere -- and level 2 on lift and death spiral.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thing is I'd have them in second.

Protocols are up and there were NO downgrades for them. The throw 3A is not worth a lot of points (7.5) so it's a high-risk-low-reward type thing. Judges weren't as crazy-generous with GOEs as we saw in dance either.

PCS advantage hurt by the factoring, but I'd look at them in low eights at least. Oh well. From what I've seen, the Pina-Baush inspired LP is a masterpiece and should vault them into first place.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thing is I'd have them in second.

Protocols are up and there were NO downgrades for them. The throw 3A is not worth a lot of points (7.5) so it's a high-risk-low-reward type thing. Judges weren't as crazy-generous with GOEs as we saw in dance either.

PCS advantage hurt by the factoring, but I'd look at them in low eights at least. Oh well. From what I've seen, the Pina-Baush inspired LP is a masterpiece and should vault them into first place.

Confused. Why is a 3A only worth 7.5? Isn't it worth 8.2 otherwise?
I agree with you that they should be second. It seem they really docked them on GOE for the two elements after that --which it merited some, but not at the deep level. It's almost like the judges gave them the -GOE for not being as fantastic as they usually are!

jcoates

Medalist
Nice to see Mary Beth growing into her partnership with Rockne. He's such a solid and patient partner. He does loo a bit different than last year. Caydee has softened her lines a bit. We'll see over time home much the gel together. They have potential. Placements tomorrow will be tons of fun to see play out.

lavender

Record Breaker
Well that needs to change. Right now it's not worth doing but maybe it will by next year before the Olympics.

lavender

Record Breaker
I like S/S program. Once they polish it and should be pretty powerful. That fall took some energy out of it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Why S/S tried a 3 axel throw in the SP is beyond me. They of all teams don't need it. They have the PCS and the levels on everything and Aliona's throw triple flip deserves +GOE every time. Risky for no reason.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Why S/S tried a 3 axel throw in the SP is beyond me. They of all teams don't need it. They have the PCS and the levels on everything and Aliona's throw triple flip deserves +GOE every time. Risky for no reason.
Because they believe in taking risks and being innovative with their content and programs. An attitude that is sadly becoming less common in skating. Sometimes the risks don't pay off, but this is how champions grow and improve - by challenging themselves, not by doing the same thing to new music.

gold12345

Medalist

Aside from risk of injury, I guess they just don't consider it risky. If they skate a strong LP at their usual level, this SP will be all but forgotten. When you are winning all the time, and you are completing elements over and over again with ease, it might be good motivation to try to up your skill level.

Now, if they attempt the throw 3A again in the LP, I won't understand it, but I assume they won't... I think they'll try to do their normal skate and try to get the win.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Confused. Why is a 3A only worth 7.5? Isn't it worth 8.2 otherwise?
I agree with you that they should be second. It seem they really docked them on GOE for the two elements after that --which it merited some, but not at the deep level. It's almost like the judges gave them the -GOE for not being as fantastic as they usually are!

A throw 3A = 7.5
A 3A (jump) = 8.5

Figure it was something like that. Bleh. I guess it's easier to do when you have someone throwing you.

But a 3S is worth 4.2; a throw 3S is 4.5. Just odd.

I have always felt that the throw 3A was underscored. However, the only team that ever landed it was Inoue & Baldwin, so that the only federation that might have been interested in getting its value raised was the USFSA. The USFSA has historically had no interest, as far as I can tell, of getting involved in anything that would be in aid of any of their pairs.

And of the pairs that USFSA didn't care about, Inoue and Baldwin were at the top of the list for being the team that they cared least about, for whatever reason. Among others, that they were not youngsters.

If it were still on youtube, I would like to link to David Pelletier's explanation from 2006 Olympics of just why the throw 3A is very hard-apparently, having the woman have to step forward into the jump makes it difficult to do the throwing action, and the timing is very difficult, and the whole thing is extremely awkward.

If anything, it is harder than the single 3A rather than easier.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Because they believe in taking risks and being innovative with their content and programs. An attitude that is sadly becoming less common in skating. Sometimes the risks don't pay off, but this is how champions grow and improve - by challenging themselves, not by doing the same thing to new music.

I agree about the reasons why, and I applaud S/S for it!... not so much about the risks being absent from the sport...

Art&Sport

Medalist
After viewing the pairs, I believe S/S were shortchanged on the marks. The Canadian pair, please, they are not in the same league as S/S, and B/L had a fall, and also are simply not in the same league as S/S. Nice program from D/C, but clearly they are not in the same league as S/S either. Judging as usual is questionable. Pretty harsh on the marks b/c S/S bring so much to the ice. Obviously, they were challenging themselves and faltered on throw 3axel (probably had too much adrenaline) and were tentative on next element, but with their experience and their great choreo and music, they should have scored above at least two of the pairs in front of them. Seems to me that the judges are eager to take any opportunity to mark S/S down to keep them on a level (and maybe hurt their confidence), so as to eventually have a case to place Z/Z, V/T, and even B/L ahead. S/S choreo and music are as usual innovative and they are constantly challenging themselves and the field with technical difficulty. It is just that some skaters are favored by the judges, no matter that they make mistakes, while others like S/S will always pay the price with the judges' scoring when they make mistakes.