Favorite Competitive Ice Arenas | Golden Skate

Favorite Competitive Ice Arenas

silverpond

On the Ice
Was looking at my videotapes from the 1998 Nagano Olympics and was struck (again) by the sheer beauty of that arena. The place was a showplace and provided a stunning site for the worlds best figure skaters to compete for the coveted Olympic medals.

I remember Scott Hamilton's 1992 pre-Olympic show, during which he took us on a "tour" of the ice arena. This particular place was constructed with the seating very close to the ice, so that the skaters could almost reach out and touch the audience. He showed us the "boom camera" that filmed close-up shots of the skaters and they traveled to each end of the rink. The cameras were huge - perhaps distracting - for the competitors.

On a personal note, I attended one World professional championship that was held in a former Olympic swimming site. The pool had been frozen dark blue. The high dive and the springboard diving boards were still intact, as were the podium that was used for the medal ceremonies. :biggrin:

What rinks struck your fancy?

jcoates

Medalist
The Capital Center in Landover, MD where the World Pros used to be held fo years was a clunky old arena. However for a big space, it had a surprisingly intimate feel. Great site lines. By contrast when they moved to the Verizon Center in downtown DC, the difference was noticeable. Sporting events in that building feel like they're being held in a canyon. Only the lower bowl is satisfactory. Fortunately my tix for the men's FS at 2003 worlds were in that section. I was higher up for the ladies FS. Teh difference was glaring.

Ooh, you got to go to Landover? That had to be my favorite competition of all. I speak strictly as a couch potato, because I never got to go there, but the chances those skaters took were breathtaking. Because they didn't have to worry about competitive rankings, they tried new things, even though maybe their jumps were a shade behind whatever was being done in eligible skating. The footwork, musicality, and forward-thinking artistic expression were heady. Some of the Russian ice dancers especially created some marvelous narrative pieces with innovative lifts and holds. And there was Browning, an industry in himself. I shed tears when that competition ceased to be. It's great to hear that the arena itself was a good place for viewing the show. Could you easily see the judges? Some of them were stars in their own right: like the wonderful year Janet Lynn was a judge and Yuka Sato skated "Afternoon of a Faun." (If I remember correctly.)